What will you do for security?

tlippy

Can't come to a decision. Insurance policy? Special lock? Seriously considering a Kryptonite product. For $100 you can get one of their locks that has reimbursement if the bike gets stolen while using their lock. $$$ amount increases as the lock prices increase. Cheaper than a dedicated policy. What have U guys decided?

Can't come to a decision. Insurance policy? Special lock? Seriously considering a Kryptonite product. For $100 you can get one of their locks that has reimbursement if the bike gets stolen while using their lock. $$$ amount increases as the lock prices increase. Cheaper than a dedicated policy. What have U guys decided?
I have a couple kryptonite locks, most often use an Abus 6500. Just going by memory kryptonite requires you to register the bike, provide receipt for bike and lock. For any reimbursement they require the lock to prove it was defeated and I think a police report. One problem for many is often the lock is gone with the thief. And I believe the policy is only free for a year. For longer coverage they charge a fee.

Most homeowners and some renters insurance cover bikes from theft. Call your agent to find out the details. My Allstate homeowners will cover my bikes wherever they may get stolen. The deductable can be an issue for some policies.

kryptonite locks
I designed a landscape for a Las Vegas resident. Ray created the kryptonite ulock. A majority of his profits and windfall came from the purchase of theft coverage. Very few could meet all the requirements for reimbursement.

I designed a landscape for a Las Vegas resident. Ray created the kryptonite ulock. A majority of his profits and windfall came from the purchase of theft coverage. Very few could meet all the requirements for reimbursement.
That was in the back of my mind

At home our ebikes are in our 'toy barn', a separate 3 car garage full of boats, bikes, etc.

Our homeowners policy covers them here and where we travel. There is the policy deductible and rapid deprecation as we found out when an expensive bike our son took to college was stolen. But he was happy with the check.

For in town errands I usually use the frame mounted Abus 'cafe' lock and its matching cable to secure the bike for a few minutes. For longer stops and for out of town travel I use the 'cafe' lock with an Abus folding lock. I always try to secure the bike frame to something stout and fixed so it can't just be carried away. The wheels and seat post need hex wrenches to remove so I usually just include the rear wheel in the 'lockup'.

Thanks for replying. I just ordered these from AliExpress:
These are going to have to do. I figure that anyone carrying the equipment around to cut this lock will be able to defeat any other kinds also.

Attachments

• Ali-Bike Alarm.png
    Ali-Bike Alarm.png
    228.5 KB · Views: 466
  • Ali-Bike Lock.png
    Ali-Bike Lock.png
    233 KB · Views: 461
Looks like most "not hooked to the bike battery" alarms are 110db.

Phoenix ! What bikes did U end up with?
Ride1up 500 for me and Espin Flow for my wife. Very satisfied with both. I would have ordered the Ride1up 500 step thru for my wife, but it was not available at the time.

This is the one I use 113db and it is very loud IMHO

This is similar to the ones I use. I actually found two for $25 and yes they are irritatingly loud and sensitive. I have a Abus frame lock and was considering what to get for a third lock ( I also have a cheap cable lock from many moons ago.)
I am wavering between the Abus Granit x plus folding or u lock or the kryptonite series 4 keyed chain lock.

I read one report by a guy who just takes his ebike with panniers into the store, walks it through the isles loading up his bags and then walks it through the checkout. Nobody says nuttin.

I just ran into this lock....seems like a winner to me. A little spend y but you can get phone or fob notification and GPS built in. no keys needed.
Oh and it has a 113db alarm built in!

Back