What tools do I need to chop an inch off my seatpost?

bikeman242

LBS charges $25 for this job. Wondering if I can do it myself for cheaper. What do I need to do this job? Maybe somebody can kindly link me to the appropriate tools.

You will need a pipe or tubing cutter, with jaws that open wide enough to accept the seat post diameter. Wrap a piece of masking tape around the seat tube where the rollers of the cutter contact it (for reduced scratching). Then take your time with the cut. Adjust the cutting wheel in really small increments and you will end up with a clean cut (which you might want to clean up further with fine emery cloth after the cut is complete).

Here would be some choices:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=pipe+cutter&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

odd it won't slide down into frame tube....but hacksaw from the bottom..no one see's it..
and it does not have to be pretty if your shoving it down frame tube...

I guess that I agree with other posters. I have an appropriate tubing cutter, so I would use it since I don't have to buy one. Gives you a nice square cut on the end, but this is definitely more necessary in pipe or tubing fitting than with a bicycle seat post. Hacksaw, or even a jigsaw (if you already have one) with a nice fine metal blade would work fine.

Since you asked about a simple tool, I would also remind you to use a metal file to remove the burr if you use a hacksaw. With a tight fit in the frame tube, a burr could make it difficult to get the seat post started back in

Easy!

You need :

1.Cutting tool:

-Hacksaw like ParkTool saw SAW-1

SAW

(cutting time is about 10 min)

or
-Grinder tool like Dewalt Grinder tool or similar

GRINDER

cutting time is about 5 sec :)))

2.Sanding tool to rounded and cleared the cut

like medium grained sandpaper
or
engravel tool like Dremel electric rotary tool or many similar

also vise recommended to secure the seatpost

and of course 1 can of beer :)) when the job done

for me its pleasant and relaxing work

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Even if it cost you 25.00 for the tools to do it, with any care and orginization, you'll have those tools available the next time you run into a similar project. Use this approach for a few years, and you might be surprised the tools you accumulate! Starts off on the expensive side, but after 10 or 15 years, you have 95% of whatever you need to do about anything....

What ever tool you use, make sure you remove the filings $ cuttings from inside the seat post after cutting. Otherwise, the loose metal particles will make their way into the bottom bracket and can cause bearing failure. Blowing out the tube with an air compressor is a good idea if one is available.

What ever tool you use, make sure you remove the filings $ cuttings from inside the seat post after cutting. Otherwise, the loose metal particles will make their way into the bottom bracket and can cause bearing failure. Blowing out the tube with an air compressor is a good idea if one is available.
I've never seen a bottom bracket that is open to the post, always a solid tube for the bottom bracket.

I've never seen a bottom bracket that is open to the post, always a solid tube for the bottom bracket.

I can't say that all bikes are built this way but my Trek MTB's and my 3 Pedego ebikes have an opening connecting the down tube to the bottom bracket. I don't know why since it seems a poor design and an accident waiting to happen. I've seen a few bikes with a small hole in the bottom of the BB for drainage but that can work against you if the BB gets submerged.

I discovered this the hard way when water got into the down tube on one of my Treks. It wound up in the BB and It cost me a set of bearings. I now cover the open down tube when transporting my bikes with the seat removed.

LBS charges $25 for this job. Wondering if I can do it myself for cheaper

You even no need to shorten stock seatpost.
Most seat posts I ever seen on e-bikes has price under 25$.
You just need measured seatpost diameter using caliper and find it in catalog or even ask in LBS seatpost with the same tube diameter but SHORTER ,
because seatposts are sold in the same diameter but in different length.
Standard seatposts are 31.8 and 27.2 in diameter (like Rad Rover and many others e-bikes) and You have no problem to find factory -made shorter seatpost.
If it's diameter under standard , say 30.4 mm like in Surface 604 or my current e-bike, and in this rare diameter length options may be limited, this means
you have deal with cheapest China made seatpost(under 15$) and You can buy one and cut this seatpost heartlessly, stored stock seatpost for future, because cut seatpost tube much easer than lengthened it.
PS.Be sure that new seatpost has the same offset and same type of saddle fasteners

Last edited:
Are we talking about cutting about the frame or a seat post?

I could see where a short rider might consider the former task, but it needs to be evaluated. It usually requires re-notching the frame under the seat clamp and adding a relief hole. Worth $25 for shop to do it.

Unless it's a folding bike,I haven't seen seat post tubes so long that they go all the way down to the end of the frame. Seems like the bike maker is giving away free metal by doing that.

When I need things done that require special tools, this would not be one of them (cutting of seat) I usually go to a shop that would have the tools to do it. A plumbing shop comes to mind for something like this, I usually walk in the back door and just ask it someone could cut this off, usually someone will do it, I give them $10.00 and say, have lunch on me.

Back