What lock do you use to protect your ebike?

Moonshine

It is hard to find lot of bike friendly stops here so I use a combinations of chains and u locks to pretty much tie the bike around almost anything. I just have to wear this bag all the time with a heavy a chain lock inside :( What do you guys use?

Locks are a very personal and local need.. I've used the same U Lock since 1993 not a problem.. IF I was parking in a city I'd be very worried about having only one lock.

If it were me I'd have at least 2 U lOcks and one heavy chain.. That will slow people down a little bit.

I use an Abus folding lock (came with the bike) combined with a plastic covered steel cable I picked up at a local hardware store. That way I can secure both tires since they have quick releases as well as the bike. Wouldn't use this method though for overnighting the bike. In fact, I don't plan on locking my e-bike anywhere overnight where I can't get up and see it!

It is hard to find lot of bike friendly stops here so I use a combinations of chains and u locks to pretty much tie the bike around almost anything. I just have to wear this bag all the time with a heavy a chain lock inside :( What do you guys use?
Kryptonite New York U Lock. Heavy, but I leave my bike outside the apartment locked to a gas pipe not in view of the street.

Kryptonite New York U Lock. Heavy, but I leave my bike outside the apartment locked to a gas pipe not in view of the street.
Horrible experience with Kryptonite locks! :mad:
I've had my new $133 Kryptonite 999492 14mm x 60" (1415) New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc Lock for two weeks and used it a few times with success.
Last weekend I had great trouble getting the lock locking hasp to open fully in order to insert the u-shaped shackle. It took about 20 minutes of carefully and repeatedly inserting the keys, poking my pinky finger into the lock holes to press on the partially stuck mechanism, and sending atheist prayers to the bike gods that don't exist. ;)I finally got the damn thing to open.
Today I the keys won't open the lock at all and my $2,000 ebike is stuck.:mad::mad::mad:
I've tried all three keys to no avail. I called today (Saturday) and of course there's no one there to help me out of this desperate situation.
I'll continue my attempts this weekend while I wait for Kryptonite representatives to respond.

BOTTOM LINE — BUYERS BEWARE!
READ THE CRITICAL PRODUCT REVIEWS ON KRYPTONITE LOCKS BEFORE PURCHASING
OR YOU MAY END UP SCREWED LIKE MANY OTHERS:

https://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-9..._only_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...vp_only_reviews&showViewpoints=0&pageNumber=1

If you're looking for a lock for relatively brief use for stops (coffee, lunch, etc.), a combination of a good u-lock and a braided cable or chain is a good one. I have the "Kryptonite Kryptolok Series 2 Standard Bicycle U-Lock with Transit FlexFrame Bracket (4-inch x 9-inch) with 4-Foot Flex Cable". I carry the lock and cable in Ortlieb panniers that are mounted on my rear rack (I got the panniers recently from REI on their Anniversary Sale, and they're fantastic -- I went with the Sport Packer Plus model).

To use the lock and cable, I loop the cable through itself around the rear wheel, run it up and through the front wheel, then attach the u-lock through the frame and the flex cable loop around a bike rack ("staple" bike racks are the most common ones in my area). I then remove Yamaha display and seat+post, and put them in my panniers which I then take along. I've been meaning to get some sort of theft resistant seat post clamp, but haven't yet; the quick-release on mine makes it way too quick and easy to steal. I will also take the battery if I'm going to be out of sight of the bike for any length of time. I just feel like it attracts too much attention, and part of me feels that a semi-knowledgeable thief will pass on stealing an e-bike without a battery and display.

My only complaint with the lock is it can be a bit fiddly to get the key in, but it gets easier with practice. If you keep any lock out in the weather, make sure you lubricate and maintain the cylinder.

I'm thinking this could eliminate the need to lock the front wheel, as well as the seat, seat post, handlebars, etc. Anyone have any experience with these products? They even have a front through-axle coming in October, per their site.

I used something similar on my previous regular touring bike securing my seat and axels. It works great but only secures those parts, not the bike itself. For more security I prefer a lock in combination with chain or cable. That way I can secure my bike and wheels to a surface, pole or tree. Granted, my seat can be stolen but my wheels, bike-frame and, of course, motor/battery are secure. I also very rarely put my e-bike in a situation that could put it in danger of being stolen.

Back