What Flashing Tail Light are Members Using?

JGcycle

Region
Canada
City
Saint John
I want to add a flashing tail light to my bike for better visibility during the day, and was wondering what the members here would recommend.

Over the past 6 years I've tried a number of flashing red strobe lights.
The brightest, by far, has been the Cygolite Hypershots. They come in 150, 250, and 350 lumens. I have the 250 lumens light on two of my bikes and couldn't be happier with how visible they are.
I bought mine off of Amazon.ca

I use the Garmin varia as a taillight. It is 3 years old. I deleted the display because it false alarms about 20 times an hour. Warnings of vehicles which aren't even on my street.
Since I dont know when the garmin rechargeable battery will stop, I use a backup Brightz red or pink light under a plastic rain cover. These are $12 at the grocery store. It uses AAA batteries so I can buy US or EU made ones, not ****ese. It probably is equivalent to a 150 lumen light, but a lot cheaper than a catseye or nightrider. www.bikebrightz.com It doesn't have an upward facing switch that would admit rain like those brands. I lost a nightrider headlight to rain. Brightz has no clue it can be used as a taillight. The store mostly stocks blue or green ones which are illegal in my state for all private vehicles. Since the first Brightz was stolen by cutting the straps, I mount it with #6-32x1" SS screws and elastic stop nuts.
I wear a Class II ANSI yellow-green vest with reflective stripes in the daytime, and a yellow helmet, so I don't power lights in the daytime. I ride on road 99%.

Last edited:
I use the Garmin varia as a taillight. It is 3 years old. I deleted the display because it false alarms about 20 times an hour. Warnings of vehicles which aren't even on my street.
Since I dont know when the garmin rechargeable battery will stop, I use a backup Brightz red or pink light under a plastic rain cover. These are $12 at the grocery store. It uses AAA batteries so I can buy US or EU made ones, not ****ese. It probably is equivalent to a 150 lumen light, but a lot cheaper than a catseye or nightrider. www.bikebrightz.com It doesn't have an upward facing switch that would admit rain like those brands. I lost a nightrider headlight to rain. Brightz has no clue it can be used as a taillight. The store mostly stocks blue or green ones which are illegal in my state for all private vehicles. Since the first Brightz was stolen by cutting the straps, I mount it with #6-32x1" SS screws and elastic stop nuts.
I wear a Class II ANSI yellow-green vest with reflective stripes in the daytime, and a yellow helmet, so I don't power lights in the daytime. I ride on road 99%.

I use the Garmin Varia as well. It’s a bummer that you’re getting false alarms. I bought mine last Spring, and have never noticed a false alarm. I’m not sure how long the battery lasts….my longest rides are never over about 4 hours of actual riding, and rarely more than about 2 hours if on roads, so it hasn’t been a concern.

The one thing I dislike about the Varia is that if I’m on a bike path that parallels a road, it detects the cars even though they’re no threat. I wish it could differentiate between cars and bikes, so I could ignore cars in that situation.

I get some usually when the bike is not moving. you can walk behind it and get one. my biggest complaint is its field is way to Wide it can pick up cars over 30 feet to the side.

I managed to find a 3D printed mount to accommodate both my Varia RVR315 and Cygolite Hotshot onto a trunk bag. I find it convenient to have both units on the same mount.

GP__0619.JPGGPAB0612.JPG

Like @Mr. Coffee, we continue to use our helmet mounted Bontrager Flare RTs.

Last edited:
I was all for the flashing bike tail light until I discovered how such light (especially a bright one) irritated me as a driver and how badly it affected my night vision.

Just saying.

I have a clip-on your clothing Eclipse by Bookman. Crazy bright and holds on tight. Got it thru the Hexlox website from the "Curated" section.

I was all for the flashing bike tail light until I discovered how such light (especially a bright one) irritated me as a driver and how badly it affected my night vision.
Proper use is that you use the flashing mode during daytime hours, and use a solid light at night. Most of the decent rear lights can do that, and some do so automatically.

Just saying.
I can’t comment on other lights but the Hotshots do sport different modes (including solid) and the ability to decrease the intensity of brightness while still remaining quite visible.

Proper use is that you use the flashing mode during daytime hours, and use a solid light at night. Most of the decent rear lights can do that, and some do so automatically.
Thank you! I noticed most of riders didn't know about the principle.
your allowed to drive? now thats scary :D
Don't worry. I mostly use my car to transport my Vado to another location 😊 If I need to ride far, I rent a car and am a responsible driver!

Get this rule: Your cheapest e-bike must be more expensive than your car! 🤣

I’ve never heard that before but makes sense and I will start doing that, thanks for the info. Good news is with days getting longer my ride home from work is still in daylight!

Back