what do you use to navigate

Urbanmtndew1

I am in a city that I am unfamiliar with. I want to know what a good "GPS" type gadget that i can put on my handle bars to help me along the way. any ideas

We use an Android app, Cyclemeter. It's available in a free or an upgraded premium version at $10/year (with a 7 day free trial). It was originally recommended by a cycling tour company we've used several times. It has pretty much replaced my dedicated Garmin cycling GPS.

Give the free version a try. If you don't like it, delete it.

Amazon has quite a few listed. Pretty pricey though. I had better luck on eBay by putting in "GPS route tracker" and using $30 to $50 for a filter in Buy It Now mode.

When I first moved to Tucson it was daunting trying to figure out where things were. It helped to do an online search once I had an address, and then use google street view to make virtual rides on my laptop. But it's worked better to just get out and ride every morning, especially since with this virus, car traffic is way down. When I see something I just stop and note it on a small pad.

The trouble w/ a gps on a bike is that they don't show bike lanes or roads w/ good shoulders. I went to a local bike shop (ours are all still open, thank goodness), and their folding city bike maps have really helped. They show bike lanes, protected lanes, dual use streets, etc. Now that I'm relatively familiar w/ things, I get out every morning and ride for an hour and half. Nothing is better than actual road knowledge. Many of our streets are in horrible shape, and I don't like to ride on main roads w/ bike lanes due to distracted drivers, so mentally mapping neighborhood streets to get me where I want to go safely works best.

Last edited:
Amazon has quite a few listed. Pretty pricey though. I had better luck on eBay by putting in "GPS route tracker" and using $30 to $50 for a filter in Buy It Now mode.

The trouble w/ a gps on a bike is that they don't show bike lanes or roads w/ good shoulders. I went to a local bike shop (ours are all still open, thank goodness), and their folding city bike maps have really helped. They show bike lanes, protected lanes, dual use streets, etc. Now that I'm relatively familiar w/ things, I get out every morning and ride for an hour and half. Nothing is better than actual road knowledge. Many of our streets are in horrible shape, and I don't like to ride on main roads w/ bike lanes due to distracted drivers, so mentally mapping neighborhood streets to get me where I want to go safely works best.

I much prefer trails but when I do plan a road route, I use Google Earth on my PC. Most of the time, the maps are clear and detailed enough to spot wide shoulders, bridges with pedestrian lanes and congested areas to be avoided.

There is also a Google Earth app you can use on the go if you were to get a smartphone. You need to be aware of your data usage though unless you take advantage of WiFi hot spots.

You don't need an expensive GPS for your bike. There are several relatively inexpensive Garmin devices available that will serve the purpose. Shop for factory refurbished units or as Steve suggested above, look at used units on eBay.

I only use the smartphone and a GPS navigation app. In my case, it is the Mapy.cz Android App, which is also accessible for route planning at

I found out the Mapy.cz included worldwide maps. Can anyone in North America tell me if the app is available from the Play Store and whether it works for you? The app is free and works in English automatically. It even sports the weather forecast (Temp, Precipitation, Wind). It is possible to record your rides.

It is on the play store over here in the usa.downloading now 36mb! NIce looking app. Good find, Stefan. Where are you physically?

When I first moved to Tucson it was daunting trying to figure out where things were. It helped to do an online search once I had an address, and then use google street view to make virtual rides on my laptop. But it's worked better to just get out and ride every morning, especially since with this virus, car traffic is way down. When I see something I just stop and note it on a small pad.

I spent some time bikeing around tuscon myself i lived in the catalina foothills...ugh that was a beast with just straight peddal power. so i ended up getting a gas motor for the bike :confused: it was back in 2009

Visited Prauge for a week a few years back and loved it.
I was to Prague lately only in the beginning of March, just before the borders were closed.

A friend of mine (Polish) recommended the Mapy.cz to me after she was able to plan a gigantic recumbent-bike tour last year. It works wonderfully in my neck of woods and after 3800 km rides with my e-bikes I can tell you the app was wrong about some secluded path only once. There is a big difference if you choose the "Road bike" or "MTB" mode; I prefer the "Road bike" mode as I hate riding the dirt :D

I wonder how good the app is for the U.S., Canada and other countries.
Below: How I've planned a metric century for this Thursday. The actual app in the smartphone will be assisting me with audio and visual guidance on the ride. I often switch the display off to conserve the battery on long and obvious ride segments.

1588005389668.png

Last edited:
I only use the smartphone and a GPS navigation app. In my case, it is the Mapy.cz Android App, which is also accessible for route planning at

I found out the Mapy.cz included worldwide maps. Can anyone in North America tell me if the app is available from the Play Store and whether it works for you? The app is free and works in English automatically. It even sports the weather forecast (Temp, Precipitation, Wind). It is possible to record your rides.

Mapy.cz works down here in New Zealand. Impressed with the detail (house numbers) it displays. Although it doesn't pick up some of the tracks that I know of.

Haven't found the MTB mode yet but I usually use Trailforks for mountain bike tracks. It's got a lot of detailed knowledge about grading height profiles etc

I am in a city that I am unfamiliar with. I want to know what a good "GPS" type gadget that i can put on my handle bars to help me along the way. any ideas
I have a Garmin Edge. It does a credible job, has a GPS map function and will help you navigate. The screen is no longer state of the art when compared to what is available to any modern smart phone GPS app, but since you don't have the cell technology available to you, it's a moot point.

You can also use a car GPS as long as you have a portable power source. A car GPS has a better/bigger screen, better resolution, and is really terrific for city use. It will, however, take up more handlebar real estate than a cycling GPS.

Haven't found the MTB mode yet but I usually use Trailforks for mountain bike tracks. It's got a lot of detailed knowledge about grading height profiles etc
Just saying: When you are planning your bike route (it is easier to do it in a Web browser on a PC), there is an option to change the "Road bike" to "MTB". The planned routes will be very different.

I don't buy $$$ toys from *****. I use a paper map, in the pannier, printed in country. I have a stupid phone from *****, cost $50, and small enough to ride in my pocket if I'm knocked off the bike & wake up in the weeds injured. I didn't use a phone at all until I heard of the body they found in the ditch off Stacey Rd, the road to Amazon fulfilment from the freeway. Speed limit 30, actual speeds >70 mph.

Back