What do I need for my new bike?

bigcanoe

While I am waiting for my bike to be delivered, I am shopping for the extras I will need.

Helmet (ordered)
Toolkit, tire pump (any recs)
Water bottle and holder (any recs)
Anything else I am forgetting? This is my first new bike in over 20 years so I want to be sure I am prepared :)
I bought an Lectric XP step thru.

Stan’s tyre sealant
a spare tube
a repair kit
a CO2 inflator and cartridges (or small tyre pump if you prefer)
a bike specific multi tool

a medium size saddle bag for all that lot

for home use a floor pump will make short work of filling those tyres (look for one with high volume setting), I love my Crankbrothers Sterling, but then I have to cover high pressure 23c road tyres through to 27.5 x 2.4s.

I carry a patch kit and a cheap pack of front/rear lights. The lights are still on the packing card. If I encounter someone at night on a bicycle with no lights I offer them my spares. And I don't see a lock listed. Buy one and use it, even in your garage!

I have a small top tube bag for my phone, wallet, and house keys. It's convenient and I'm hoping that if I'm ever in an accident, they will see my phone through the clear panel on top and will then get my ID and emergency contacts.

You can also get a special decal for your helmet that contains any/all required information. EMTs are trained to look for it. I had one on my old motorcycle helmet but not on my current one. This thread got me motivated!

Although your XP comes with a suspension seatpost, these spring load types leave a lot to be desired. You might want to invest in a higher quality product like the Kinekt or Thudbuster posts. They aren't cheap but for many of us here, they are well worth the price considering the extra comfort they provide. I would wait for your bike to arrive before ordering one of these posts. You need a minimum of 4 inches between the saddle rails and the bike seat tube for them to fit. You need to set the proper saddle height for your size and measure the amount of exposed seat post.

I'd second the lights, the lock, the tube & pump (mine's lyzene), some screwdrivers & wrenches to change the tube. CO2 cartridges are too small for 2"x26" tubes or bigger. I find patch kits useless. A bag to keep them & the lock in. I use a 6' SS industrial 3/8" sling that wraps around power poles gas meters & trees, but your town may have civilized bike racks that accept a u-lock (mine does not). Avoid bike vendor & master cables, so soft you can cut them with a $23 tool. I'd negate the padded shorts, I gave those up 30 years ago & I ride 30 miles frequently. I use cotton undies. I wear polyester/cotton work pants & long sleeve shirts, that have saved my knees and elbows on numerous falls. DIckies, or redhat. Gloves, the $1 polyester ones saved my skin at 25 mph onto gravel. Also prevent sunburn. I don't like tire sealant, but I don't live in goathead thorn territory. Clogs up the stem when you want to deflate the tire to tighten a spoke or change a chain or something. A cell phone that fits in your pocket, if you wake up in the ditch after being hit by a car. Having a smart phone on your bike won't help you there. My brother fell off a wall mowing and broke his neck. The apple phone was in the truck. He also stranded himself on the roof when the hi-lift quit, no phone. Tracphones are $8 a month after the first 6 months.

Last edited:
I like a pump. I have had many times where I just needed to top off the tire several (5x) times to make it home.

Although your XP comes with a suspension seatpost, these spring load types leave a lot to be desired. You might want to invest in a higher quality product like the Kinekt or Thudbuster posts. They aren't cheap but for many of us here, they are well worth the price considering the extra comfort they provide. I would wait for your bike to arrive before ordering one of these posts. You need a minimum of 4 inches between the saddle rails and the bike seat tube for them to fit. You need to set the proper saddle height for your size and measure the amount of exposed seat post.

I have 3 Suntours that I purchased from Aliexpress for around 75 each including delivery. They work great and are a huge upgrade from some of the spring like "Pogo Sticks" I have seen and ordered on Amazon...

I never thought of that, and I do not have any, thanks!
You might want to ride awhile and see > I hated Bike Shorts . I found a suspension seat Post a far better Investment . Besides Your crotch will thank you more then your butt will complain. :) I would definitely ride for a few weeks and see what your body tells you . Gloves again I hated . That pad made my arms ache. Plus hands sweated . What one person says is Great someone else doesn't like .n IMO Bike shorts are the Most uncomfortable thing there is . Some of My riding buddies swear by them others are like Me. As for Seatposts IMO that was the Best Investment I made to date . Get a Good One .

Like Helmets : I have a Smith Helmet for Winter Riding and Early Spring > I'd wear a Helmet on Dirt and Mountain Trails . On regular paths and Roads I don't wear one . Again Some do Some don't

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to ride awhile and see > I hated Bike Shorts . I found a suspension seat Post a far better Investment . Besides Your crotch will thank you more then your butt will complain. :)
My plan exactly. I am just looking at some repair supplies and a helmet, must haves, before tweaking parts etc. for a while.

I really like the Ergon 3 grips I added to my bike, plus a bar end rear view mirror. I also went with the Thudbuster seat post, and I can’t remember the name of my rack bag now, I got it at REI although I’ve seen the brand elsewhere. It fits on the rear rack and if I need I unzip pockets on the sides to unfold saddle bags.

On my analog road bike, can't ride without the padded shorts. On my ebike which I added the kinekt seat post, don't need the padded shorts. And I have done a 50 mile ride on the new ebike without the padded shorts. I also picked up a pair of of inexpensive wrap around sunglasses to protect my eyes from the sun and any flying debris..

Back