What are FlyKly hub owners saying about it now that they've had a chance to use it?

What FlyKly doesn't seem to understand is that we want the SmartWheel to succeed. If they work with us, their customers, we'll be the best and cheapest promotion they'll ever get.
I agree with this even if I'm being a bit antagonistic but exactly because of their poor response, I felt I needed to alert future backers:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flykly/flykly-smart-ped/comments

By the way, they say "We figured out a solution for the bluetooth issue", has anyone heard anything on this?

Further update: I recommend avoiding the FlyKly Smartwheel, and here's why:

Sadly, after many emails, FlyKly determined that I had caused the connection problem and they declined to help. Here's the thing: The charger connection is tiny and very hard to connect. In trying to connect the charger, I bent the very thin wires. I requested that they replace the charger free of charge as it's a design flaw and I have successfully used the wheel only 4 times, but they declined.

They told me to buy another charger at $159+ shipping to Canada. A new charger would have the same connection problem, so I'm forced to scrap the wheel. For the record, I looked into replacing only the plug, but only one place would try to replace it and they charge $85/hour for their work.

The connector to the charger and the terrible bluetooth, along with FlyKly's refusal fix these problems show a company that's willing only to shove a product out the door. I sent the wheel to the recycle yard and consider it an expensive mistake. It's too bad, because it's a great concept with great potential. Making things right would cost money in the short term, but make them a fortune in the long term.

If anyone else has this problem, and you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy just the cable part of the charger from (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (It is sort of expensive, mine cost $30 with shipping, but cheaper than buying a whole new charger)

For those of you who have installed the flykly on a bike, did you install it on a single speed bike? When I try to put it on my multi speed bike, the chain does not fit the sprocket. The gear on the flykly sprocket is a little bigger than the chain, and when I asked a local bike shop they said that most multi speed bikes (at least in the US) have smaller chain size than single speed bikes. I'm very surprised to find out about that. Now I just have to find a single speed bike or change the front sprocket and the chain on my current bike. Is this the same experience for other flykly users? Have anyone installed flykly on a multi speed bike?

View attachment 4619

You'll need to buy one of these (18 T) or similar and watch this video to see how to install it.

The Copenhagen wheel folks have been highly criticized for the delay in releasing their wheel.

Yet, I have read here and elsewhere the overwhelming expression of frustration with FlyKy problems.

I would rather be frustrated WAITING for the more technically advanced Copenhagen Wheel than frustrated trying to use a wheel released too soon without hope of getting my money back.

I will patiently stick with the MIT guys and their annal quest for perfection.

I got bluetooth as far as the handle bar by increasing the diameter of one of the plug holes to 35mm, still a bit iffy probably should enlarge another. Thing is I did it because I wanted to change the assist level on the move but the app makes you stop to make settings changes so stymied after a days work after all.

A couple updates from my end. After their support team worked so hard by having me essentially 'plug and unplug', then try another app (which does the same thing as the original, only in blue) and nothing work, they have determined "....I think that we will need to service/repair your wheel. I think there isnt anything else we can do online that we should have a look at the wheel."

Ok - Well, I queried on their new SmartPed Kickstarter project about their warranty, which states that they will pay for transport if it fails within the 1st month. This failed at 10 days, they admitted it needed to be sent back in within the month. I've sent 4 emails asking about how shipping should be charged and have gotten no response, so I just posted this which shows up as the most recent #flykly post:
https://www.instagram.com/p/_Y_Us3DxK4/?tagged=flykly

In EXCITING BLUETOOTH FIXES NEWS!!!
They have a fix:

https://www.evernote.com/l/AVHflRGEUzNBTqWQUJcSOqglPXle5W9zpVY

This is essentially like buying a 2015 car with a feature list that includes a radio. When the radio cuts out every time after 1 minute, you take it back and say, 'hey, this radio is not working.' The dealer then responds, 'Oh, it just so happens we fixed that! It's called buying the 2016 model!"

This product is a joke. If you've bought one, I'm sorry. If you're thinking of buying one, RECONSIDER! First, it's been 3 years and they still haven not delivered on the promise of a wheel with assist. They have sent me the wrong size wheel (26 inch) 2 times now.

The charging unit connection is poorly designed - basically a bunch of needle size tines that have to fit into the female side just right. They bend, I straighten, they bend, I straighten. Poor user experience.

Then there's the bluetooth connection which others have noted as well.

Who designs a product this bad? Niko Klansek. Nice effort buddy but this product is a 100% complete miss in my book.

I'm working with customer service now to get a refund. Wish me luck.

My wheel broke down three months ago (after cycling for 1000km) due to a freewheel issue. At first FlyKly responded to my email and even send a replacement freewheel. Unfortunately they sent me a newer version which didn't fit with the sprocket I have, I've been emailing for three months now but once they told me they would get back to me I've never received another response. The service is certainly worse than the wheel itself.

Experience with the wheel itself:
- Bluetooth connection isn't really good, only works close to the hub while stationary ( will not be fixed by an app update )
- When the battery was empty the wheel started regenerative braking, I was suddenly cycling uphill on flat areas. Not a fun experience.
- Had to recharge the battery every day, I couldn't cycle 32 km with it, around 26km the battery was empty and the wheel started braking.

On a positive note, it does work once set, the battery is full and you cycle less than 26km a day and want to cycle less than 1000km in total.

Thanks for a straight up report @fancypansty... Finding a freewheel to fit the new wheel shouldn't be problem, or expensive, less than $30... Just visit your LBS.

I think this is one product that was hurt by crowdfunding.. They needed more capital to finish the original design, which included BT 4.0 and a decent battery.. Out of cash they settled for a cheaper Italian design built for a much lower price.

Warning - definitely avoid this product.

My wheel arrived after a nominal 3 month wait. I should have been concerned that they immediately charged my credit card despite the 3 month lead time. A company shouldn't recognize revenue in advance like that.

My wheel arrived and within 3 days it's stopped providing any power. It seems to constantly go into factory reset and demand registration which may be part of a failure safe mode. Flykly have replied very slowly, so far I've had to email them several times demanding a response. They have asked me what the email address I used to register it, then never reply again, so I open a new ticket. They've told me I need to return it at my own cost and that I'll need to pay for any non-warranty repair.

What is also weird is that the box had notes in it thanking me for supporting their kickstarter campaign (which I didnt). That was years ago, perhaps this is old stock of poorly designed wheels they are still flicking off to suckers?

Flykly - you should respond, arrange shipping of the DOA wheel or provide a refund.

I was a Kickstarter funder and got the wheel a while back.

Just installed my FlyKly today on my bike. Seems to work fine - quick battery discharge after only a few miles but hoping that will get better.

Will be very careful with the charging cable given the experiences of the folk above. € 159 for a new charger is Apple levels of gouging.

At some point I'm going to try to set the wheel circumference to a lower number to see if I can get a higher speed :)

Warning - definitely avoid this product.

My wheel arrived after a nominal 3 month wait. I should have been concerned that they immediately charged my credit card despite the 3 month lead time. A company shouldn't recognize revenue in advance like that.

My wheel arrived and within 3 days it's stopped providing any power. It seems to constantly go into factory reset and demand registration which may be part of a failure safe mode. Flykly have replied very slowly, so far I've had to email them several times demanding a response. They have asked me what the email address I used to register it, then never reply again, so I open a new ticket. They've told me I need to return it at my own cost and that I'll need to pay for any non-warranty repair.

What is also weird is that the box had notes in it thanking me for supporting their kickstarter campaign (which I didnt). That was years ago, perhaps this is old stock of poorly designed wheels they are still flicking off to suckers?

Flykly - you should respond, arrange shipping of the DOA wheel or provide a refund.

Severe Warning.

According to contributions in several forums (like https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flykly/flykly-smart-ped/comments ) FlyKly has been slow to deliver, and to respond to customers complaints and enquiries. Now, they appear to have disappeared completely. The reason may be that they -and Zehus Srl- have recently (in January 2016) been sued officially for "willfully" infringing a U.S. patent held by MIT and Superpedestrian. "Willful" is not a kind word in a litigation.
Do read the lawsuit complaint at https://search.rpxcorp.com/lit/nysdce-451987-superpedestrian-v-flykly.

Thanks for the link. It is an interesting read but I have to say I have mixed feelings about what I read there... The law is the law but I don't like Superpedestrian's tactics either. They come across as patent squatters.

I ordered a wheel from Superpedestrian over a year ago. Their lack of updates to their paid customers (you pay your $1000 USD up front when you order a Copenhagen wheel) and their excuses for their continuing delays are maddening. It is great that Superpedestrian was able to get a patent for their wheel idea, but somehow it seems wrong that they hold the patent yet aren't able to produce a product while others are perfectly capable of producing something similar. As Alessandra points out in the Copenhagen Wheel Status thread, there is a lady on the Copenhagen Wheel Customer Complaints Facebook page who paid for her wheel in December of 2014 and is number 55 on the wait list, yet who still hasn't received her wheel. I admire her patience. I gave up waiting and asked for my money back after about 6 months.

I used my refund to buy a FlyKly. It shipped within a month and I've been using it for about a month and a half now. It works as advertised. I use it on the bike that I haul my daughter around with. The extra 250 Watts make a noticeable difference when lugging her weight up the hills and it has the range to get me through my 30 km round-trip commute (with 250 m total round-trip elevation gain). Overall, my average speeds are about 5 km/h faster with less effort than without the wheel. Sure it has problems: The bluetooth doesn't connect unless I place my phone directly beside the wheel, but I don't really care because I only really need to connect to the wheel to change a setting. It has also shut itself off a couple of times while I was transitioning from regenerative braking to climbing a hill. I discovered that it will come back on line by back pedaling half a stroke, though.

Would I say that I am totally happy with it? Probably not. I think I'd still rather have the Superpedestrian wheel; the extra 100 Watts would be helpful on some of the bigger hills. That said, I am a lot more satisfied with the FlyKly wheel that I DO HAVE than the superpedestrian wheel that is nothing more than vapour ware at this point.

If anyone else has this problem, and you are handy with a soldering iron, you can buy just the cable part of the charger from (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) (It is sort of expensive, mine cost $30 with shipping, but cheaper than buying a whole new charger)

You'll need to buy one of these (18 T) or similar and watch this video to see how to install it.

Hi Spyke- The link to the charging cord does not work... wonder if you remember the part number? Also, I damaged the charging port on the smartwheel itself, fell over and it is destroyed. Wonder if the receptacle/port and supporting internal parts are available?

Back