Went on a little spending spree

Banderboy

Region
USA
Within the last week I bought a new helmet, phone holder, rear rack, a bar-end mirror, pedal wrench and grease, a pair of gloves, and a trunk mount rack for transporting. Now all I need is a bike! Come on, Rad! Oh, and Happy New year!

Curious what trunk rack you purchased that can support the weight of the Rad? Most trunk racks aren’t rated to support the weight of an eBike. How much does the bike you’re getting weigh?

It looks unsubstantial, but it is pretty heavy duty. I've yet to attach it to the car, but I believe that if it's properly installed it'll be fine. It's made for 2 acoustic bikes, so one electric should be fine.

It looks unsubstantial, but it is pretty heavy duty. I've yet to attach it to the car, but I believe that if it's properly installed it'll be fine. It's made for 2 acoustic bikes, so one electric should be fine.
Be careful. You should find out what its weight rating is. Racks are rated for each bike position. If a rack is rated for two 25lb bikes, that doesn’t mean it is rated for one 50lb bike. The rating includes the weight limits for the mounting hardware (brackets, straps, etc.) for each bike position. You definitely don’t want a 50lb + bike falling off the back of your car.

Last edited:
I hear you, and I'm not an engineer, but having examined this rack closely, I don't see where the most likely point of failure would be- the straps are strong enough and I don't want to be around what ever could pull those clips off the trunk. The tubing is hefty. My only concern would be the straps loosening in their buckles The critical straps would be the ones that clip by the top of the lid, but they only need to be adjusted once, then I'll secure the end somehow. Does that make sense? Anyhoo, I think it'll work. Happy New Year!
eta: I'll make a vid if my bike ever gets here!

👍
Just remember you aren’t the only one taking a potential risk. The guy or gal driving behind you has skin in the game too. If you are unsure of its weight limit, please consider contacting the manufacturer for their recommendation.
Btw, I do have a mechanical engineering background.

Have yourself a happy new year and welcome to the forum?

Ok I looked, and they say up to 70 lb and the Rover is 69 lb. Phew- just under the wire!
Ok, I’ll let this go now......but I’m guessing that’s the weight limit for two bikes (35lbs max for each mounting position). Unless otherwise noted by the manufacturer of course.

Edit: Here’s an example of different bike racks weight limits. Note that they specifically say per bike.

41595CE5-5ED8-4955-8170-8C6606E0C550.png

Last edited:
Within the last week I bought a new helmet, phone holder, rear rack, a bar-end mirror, pedal wrench and grease, a pair of gloves, and a trunk mount rack for transporting. Now all I need is a bike! Come on, Rad! Oh, and Happy New year!

Accessories are the best part of any "outfit."
Congrats on your new bike.

Congrats on the new ebike! No congrats on that bike rack. Buy one for a receiver hitch made for the weight of a ebike. I've seen those trunk mount strap racks fail with a Worksman beach cruiser on it! Good luck if you do end up using it. Make sure your auto insurance covers damage from the ebike falling off. Sorry to be negative, just giving you a honest observation.

I don't know exactly but it happened at the oceanfront. Car had a Worksman on the back and the rack failed going down the strip. The Jeep behind it ran into the Worksman with the trunk rack still attached. I always see those trunk racks in thrift stores. Never see hitch mount ones in thrift stores. There is a reason for that. Just check your auto insurance coverage and make sure your covered. Oh, and Etsy sells the Rad connector covers as well. I use the Etsy ones and they work great. My 'Runner sits outside while I'm charging the battery at my desk.

Ok I looked, and they say up to 70 lb and the Rover is 69 lb. Phew- just under the wire!
Let's see bare bones at 69lbs. No racks, No audio accesories, No dry bag, No locks, No side saddles, No phone mount. Unless you plan on stripping it each time you load the bike on the back of your car. Mine is just about 100 lbs with what I carry on a ride, and I'd like to add a back up battery for some longer high speed runs. Too much invested in my toy to lose it on the highway.

20201228_080431.jpg

That looks like the dirt bike hauler I had. What brand and price range? I got my hauler for free but rarely used it because I have a small pick-up. I gave the hauler to a friend who has a Corolla. He carries a gas powered motor scooter on it. Mine tipped back for roll-on loading and locked down when level.

That looks like the dirt bike hauler I had. What brand and price range? I got my hauler for free but rarely used it because I have a small pick-up. I gave the hauler to a friend who has a Corolla. He carries a gas powered motor scooter on it. Mine tipped back for roll-on loading and locked down when level.
Screenshot_20201224-200620_Chrome.jpg
I added LED light bars to each side, and a 4 inch riser to my class III hitch. It might be over-kill for a 90 lb bike, but all others made me nervous since they were marginal on weight support.

Back