Waxing chain on a bafang?

EJ25

Region
Australia
I've recently got into waxing my chain for my bbshd with a melted paraffin wax, not for any friction benifits but mainly cleaning wise. I was just wondering if anyone had done this on their ebike and whether it seems to last a long time, some people say you should rewax it between 200-300km. after about 80km I noticed the rollers on my chain start to make a noise the same noise as when there's no lubricant or anything in the chain after it's been cleaned completely, noI just wonder if there's enough wax in there to prevent metal on metal contact, I just don't want to be ruining my chain without knowing it. Does anyone else has the issue or is it normal.

I run a dry wax lube which I have to reapply every 60 miles (100km) or so or when I can hear the chain. I use T-9 Boeshield.

I would think that if you are hearing the chain it needs to be lubed.

I run a dry wax lube which I have to reapply every 60 miles (100km) or so or when I can hear the chain. I use T-9 Boeshield.

I would think that if you are hearing the chain it needs to be lubed.
my thoughts as well. i am thinking about using a dry lube as rewaxing a chain is kind of a hassle. i assume being that its a dry lube nothing much will have stuck to it after 100km and all you have to do is wipe it down and reapply it?

I've been waxing my chains for the last 4 years without incident. I usually rewax after 200 miles. I do, however, use a combination of paraffin wax and oil instead of straight wax. Oil makes it a little more viscous which might help it get into the rollers a little better.
Look at OZ cycle on youtube for more specific ways to combine the two. On one of his videos it shows him dipping the chain in cold water as soon as he removes it from the hot wax/oil combination to "freeze" the liquid in place. I do it, messy but no problems.

Good luck,
elliot

I waxed my chain, and I've used dry lube for several months. I cannot say that I could discern any benefit from waxing over using dry lube, except that dry lube is a helluva lot easier.
Caution: Do not use your wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean your bicycle chain. I did, and it resulted in a continuous ringing in my ears resulting from extremely high decibel cacophonous sounds emanating from my wife's vocal chords.

my thoughts as well. i am thinking about using a dry lube as rewaxing a chain is kind of a hassle. i assume being that its a dry lube nothing much will have stuck to it after 100km and all you have to do is wipe it down and reapply it?
Essentially, yes. I ride on a lot of gravel so I do a deep clean with dish soap and water every 3-4 weeks using a cheap chain cleaning tool from Amazon (like a Park chain cleaner, but priced for regular folks).

I wish the lube lasted a bit longer, but I seem to need to apply every 60-80 miles , typically.

I waxed my chain, and I've used dry lube for several months. I cannot say that I could discern any benefit from waxing over using dry lube, except that dry lube is a helluva lot easier.
Caution: Do not use your wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner to clean your bicycle chain. I did, and it resulted in a continuous ringing in my ears resulting from extremely high decibel cacophonous sounds emanating from my wife's vocal chords.
Here is another life/relationship tip: don't use the dishwasher to clean car parts. The parts get very clean and the partner gets very angry.

Hahah cheers for the caution mate. But yeah my main thing is having to redo the wax is a little annoying, a dry lube seems a lot easier and less stressful

Essentially, yes. I ride on a lot of gravel so I do a deep clean with dish soap and water every 3-4 weeks using a cheap chain cleaning tool from Amazon (like a Park chain cleaner, but priced for regular folks).

I wish the lube lasted a bit longer, but I seem to need to apply every 60-80 miles , typically.
Yep that's seems easy enough and should only take a short amount of time. I'll pick up some dry lube and give that a go for a while see how It goes. Cheers

Back