Watt Wagons and Battery Technology

Ebiker33

I recently watched this video, that featured the Watt Wagon, but way beyond that discussing battery technology.
The R & D at Dalhousie University is pretty cool, it's a long video but it shows the time and experimentation required to take us to the next step.
They are working with Tesla

Is the 21700 cell going to be the next base wave for eBikes or are we going to skip right over them ?

Milwaukee, Bosch, and Dewalt(Power Tools)are now using the 21700 in their best batteries, although their base batteries are still using 18650 cells, users report not increased run time, but increased power output for the exact same amp/hrs.
Milwaukee will launch 72V systems shortly with their new MX fuel line.
It's going to be very interesting to see battery technology progression this decade, power tools, cars and Ebikes all looking for the next bump in power and run time.
I think that is why the open system for batteries is better than the close fitted system, your frame is perfect in 5 years, but battery tech has jumped way up.

We had a great time with Prof. Dahn, and of course with Ravi. Battery tech is increasingly driving us towards an exciting future, with the series of mini-leaps every few months.

Cant wait to see what's in store in 3 years :)

I am truly glad we are all seeing this together.

Reactions: Ayl
Back