Water Protection

jkvt

Hi,

I just bought an NCM Moscow Plus to use for commuting and errands. I've had it for the better part of the week and have about 55 miles on it. So far loving this bike. From what I understand the bike should mostly be ok if I hit some rain, but I see a few people had some electrical issues so I was thinking of trying to get in front of that to be on the safe side. So a few questions:

1) Am I overthinking this? Am I very likely to be ok if I hit some rain and the bikes that have had issues are probably outliers? Then again, maybe I'd rather it fail quick anyways, if it's going to, so it's still under warranty.

2) Any thoughts on the best way to protect the electrical parts? I was thinking of ordering some nylon topped neoprene and getting some good velcro to make something to put around the area from the the stem of the handlebar down around the lower bar enough to cover at least the top half of the battery (so kind of a triangle of neoprene ending at the handlebar). I was also thinking of just getting a clear bag to put over the C7 display.

Thanks!

I usually don't ride in the rain, but sometimes you can't help being caught in one mid-ride. From what I've read, it should be ok to ride for short distances in light sprinkles, but you probably don't want to plan a 20 mile ride when you know it's going to rain. There are bikes that do well under wet conditions, but I'm sure mileage will vary depending on the bike.

Didn't you post on reddit that your bike died after 3 days from water? Maybe someone else with an NCM Moscow. I've seen pictures of eBikes with the generic Chinese aluminum case controller actually having water pouring out of the case. It's not always just the connectors, but also the components.

I own a Moscow Plus & I would recommend making sure you cover the top section of the battery with electrical tape to prevent water leaking into the pcb board via the on/off button.

i had to get mine replaced after riding in the rain. Mechanic at the shop that I got it fixed covered mine with electrical tape & said that this is a common issue with NCM bikes.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I really like the electrical tape idea, or something similar. I'm really excited to start taking this to work whenever we are allowed back in the office!

Rich c, I wasn't that user. I haven't been out in the rain yet and hopefully won't end up out in it anytime soon. This is really for if I happen to get stuck in rain I didn't see coming or I'm at work and end up having to leave while it's raining, a little. I wouldn't go in with the bike if there was a good chance of rain. As for the controller, i'll hope that's protected enough at this point. I'll at least give it a look over for whatever that's worth.

Thanks again!

Back