Was planning on ordering 1st ebike tonight.... Then this.

Gogoro will launch an ebike in May. They've hinted it's a class 3. Another option to consider.

You mean the holes in the back flange? It also requires a flat place behind the seat to keep the rack from wiggling & struts scrape the tire. Ride1up left that out. You may be able to get away with just a seat post mount if you don't carry more than 2 pounds.
Saw the ride1up 700 being considered by wings02. It has a "rack". The front support is so flimsy, it might be suitable for carrying your plastic dolly for a ride: As long as she was full of air.

Not sure I follow. There are 2 attachment points for a rack:
LMTD-scaled.jpg

Why can't a rack like this can't be put on this bike?

So I kept looking at Rad, mostly the RadMini 4, and every day I'd see another that make me think "ooh, this has _____" but there were always drawbacks, e.g. preorder with who-knows-when actual delivery, unknown company, questionable support, etc, and I kept going back to Rad.

Ordered the RadMini 4 today. Not inexpensive (for my budget) but on paper looks to meet all my needs and have excellent support both from Rad and community. Worst case, if down the road I feel I want more, the mini will still carry a lot of utility as a folder.

Thanks again to everyone for all the guidance - as a neophyte to ebiking (and 35 year absentee from any kind of biking, it's really great to have a community like this.

So I kept looking at Rad, mostly the RadMini 4, and every day I'd see another that make me think "ooh, this has _____" but there were always drawbacks, e.g. preorder with who-knows-when actual delivery, unknown company, questionable support, etc, and I kept going back to Rad.

Ordered the RadMini 4 today. Not inexpensive (for my budget) but on paper looks to meet all my needs and have excellent support both from Rad and community. Worst case, if down the road I feel I want more, the mini will still carry a lot of utility as a folder.

Thanks again to everyone for all the guidance - as a neophyte to ebiking (and 35 year absentee from any kind of biking, it's really great to have a community like this.
Glad you ordered one. I was in the same spot yesterday. Doing the exact same thing. Should I order this one, no this one, well wait what about this. It became exhausting. Finally just ordered one of my first choices. I think you will be happy with the RadMini 4. Everything I've seen suggests that it will be. Happy trails.

Glad you ordered one. I was in the same spot yesterday. Doing the exact same thing. Should I order this one, no this one, well wait what about this. It became exhausting. Finally just ordered one of my first choices. I think you will be happy with the RadMini 4. Everything I've seen suggests that it will be. Happy trails.
What did you end up choosing?

So I've been researching for a few weeks now and after narrowing it down to a handful of bikes was planning on making my final decision and either ordering a RadMini 4 or preordering a RadRunner Plus tonight.

Then this pops up in my news feed as having just been announced today. Go figure.

https://ride1up.com/product/lmtd-2/?wpam_id=18 $1695 preorder
  • 750w/1000w peak vs 500w/750w (don't know how the MXUS compares to the Bafang)
  • Hydraulic brakes.
  • Class 3, in the event I'd ever decide I wanted to go that fast (wasn't any kind of priority, but all other things being balanced I wouldn't turn it down)
  • Torque PAS
  • 100nM torque vs 80nM
  • Air suspension fork
  • Same capacity battery
  • 15-20 Lbs lighter (though it's not clear whether the Ride1Up listed weight includes the battery or not, it should still at least be a few Lbs lighter).
I see huge value propositions like this all the time from unknowns, but from what I've gathered this is a fairly established, reputable company.

Any huge deficiencies of this new bike, or should I just be looking for the Futurama 'take my money!' meme?
I saw your post a few days ago and ordered the new Ride 1 Up Limited bike. Thank you for the thought!

I saw your post a few days ago and ordered the new Ride 1 Up Limited bike. Thank you for the thought!
Looks like a fantastic bike - congratulations! Had it been readily available for shipping I might we'll have pulled the trigger on that, but ended up going with the RadMini4 for portability and availability. I suspect we'll both be very happy with our respective decisions.

So I've been researching for a few weeks now and after narrowing it down to a handful of bikes was planning on making my final decision and either ordering a RadMini 4 or preordering a RadRunner Plus tonight.

Then this pops up in my news feed as having just been announced today. Go figure.

https://ride1up.com/product/lmtd-2/?wpam_id=18 $1695 preorder
  • 750w/1000w peak vs 500w/750w (don't know how the MXUS compares to the Bafang)
  • Hydraulic brakes.
  • Class 3, in the event I'd ever decide I wanted to go that fast (wasn't any kind of priority, but all other things being balanced I wouldn't turn it down)
  • Torque PAS
  • 100nM torque vs 80nM
  • Air suspension fork
  • Same capacity battery
  • 15-20 Lbs lighter (though it's not clear whether the Ride1Up listed weight includes the battery or not, it should still at least be a few Lbs lighter).
I see huge value propositions like this all the time from unknowns, but from what I've gathered this is a fairly established, reputable company.

Any huge deficiencies of this new bike, or should I just be looking for the Futurama 'take my money!' meme?
Ride1Up all the way compared to Rad Mini4. I never really liked their designs. The trend these days is stealth and since Ride1Up's new bike has integrated battery it looks much more refined. Then there are the power and suspension upgrades you have to take into account.

For those who are interested, you could also look at Espin sport.
Basically, it uses the same frame as Ride1up Ltd but the components are slightly different and it looks like a good value at $1200. I don't know where their warehouse is or how the support will be handled few years down the road.

Class 3, 48V, 14Ah etc. I am not sure if the price is a typo but I have known few people who dealt with Espin.

Ride1Up all the way compared to Rad Mini4. I never really liked their designs. The trend these days is stealth and since Ride1Up's new bike has integrated battery it looks much more refined. Then there are the power and suspension upgrades you have to take into account.
Ride1Up doesn't fold. As I gave it more and more consideration while deliberating, that kept retaining a great deal of weight in the decision — being able to tote it to more remote riding destinations or for needed service without the need or expense of a rack, or more readily in case of a roadside emergency, are of high value. Otherwise, I agree about the bang for the buck of the Ride1Up pretty much across the board. Not particularly concerned about the aesthetic of a battery showing, and the difference in power / suspension would have little 'impact' on me as I don't anticipate taking it off-road much if at all, and am principally on flat terrain (and, with my and the bike's weights combined being in excess of 300 lbs, don't really fancy the physics of what happens when we become separated from the upright position at over 20 mph).

And as a first ebike, this, like a first car or home, will give me a better idea of what I might appreciate more in a replacement; as such, it will still definitely hold personal utility as a folder allowing for greater flexibility of option towards a subsequent purchase.

For those who are interested, you could also look at Espin sport.
Basically, it uses the same frame as Ride1up Ltd but the components are slightly different and it looks like a good value at $1200. I don't know where their warehouse is or how the support will be handled few years down the road.

Class 3, 48V, 14Ah etc. I am not sure if the price is a typo but I have known few people who dealt with Espin.

Another nice one.

I have come to the conclusion that ebikes are like cellphones in that there is always a better-specced, better value product coming 1-2 months behind the best option one might decide on at any given point — though ebikes are a much less matured product, so the differences are even greater. I found myself spiraling into that "ooh look at that" for a new bike that would appear in my now over-saturated-with-ebikes newsfeed almost daily and figured that there was no bike I could buy that would be my best choice a month from now, much less 6, so might as well buy the one that appealed to my budget and criteria best today and begin enjoying it while the best riding weather prevails.

Another nice one.

I have come to the conclusion that ebikes are like cellphones in that there is always a better-specced, better value product coming 1-2 months behind the best option one might decide on at any given point — though ebikes are a much less matured product, so the differences are even greater. I found myself spiraling into that "ooh look at that" for a new bike that would appear in my now over-saturated-with-ebikes newsfeed almost daily and figured that there was no bike I could buy that would be my best choice a month from now, much less 6, so might as well buy the one that appealed to my budget and criteria best today and begin enjoying it while the best riding weather prevails.

I don't quite agree. Do you really see the technology of eBike change that fast?

I don't quite agree. Do you really see the technology of eBike change that fast?

The technology, not necessarily, but the pricing for comparable package seems to be moving down at a fairly good clip. Ebikes have been around a good while, but it seems with the surge of interest some sellers are looking to capitalize and lowering prices based on economy of scale to attract more, so bikes we're seeing announced now are certainly offering a lot more than ones that have been readily available. Kind of like how my first DVD player cost about $800, one could buy them for $300 a year later, and over time they dropped to sub-$100 while they were still actually relevant.

Of course, I've only really been looking at them with any real depth of focus for about a month, so my frame of reference is limited and this could just be a momentary spike of value change

I always want to see the assembled bike right in front of me before signing on the dotted line. Are there any LBS in your area you can check out?

I always want to see the assembled bike right in front of me before signing on the dotted line. Are there any LBS in your area you can check out?
You won't be able to see your bike in advance of purchase unless you're buying from their Seattle showroom, but you may be able to find a place local to you that rents them or uses Rad bikes for bike tours. If so, even if they don't have the specific model you are looking at, you should be able to get a feel for the build quality and ride experience.

Back