Was planning on ordering 1st ebike tonight.... Then this.

jeremy8000

So I've been researching for a few weeks now and after narrowing it down to a handful of bikes was planning on making my final decision and either ordering a RadMini 4 or preordering a RadRunner Plus tonight.

Then this pops up in my news feed as having just been announced today. Go figure.

https://ride1up.com/product/lmtd-2/?wpam_id=18 $1695 preorder
  • 750w/1000w peak vs 500w/750w (don't know how the MXUS compares to the Bafang)
  • Hydraulic brakes.
  • Class 3, in the event I'd ever decide I wanted to go that fast (wasn't any kind of priority, but all other things being balanced I wouldn't turn it down)
  • Torque PAS
  • 100nM torque vs 80nM
  • Air suspension fork
  • Same capacity battery
  • 15-20 Lbs lighter (though it's not clear whether the Ride1Up listed weight includes the battery or not, it should still at least be a few Lbs lighter).
I see huge value propositions like this all the time from unknowns, but from what I've gathered this is a fairly established, reputable company.

Any huge deficiencies of this new bike, or should I just be looking for the Futurama 'take my money!' meme?

Personally, I'd go for the ride1up, but there may be a slightly more risk since the Rad bikes are well established and not much new compared to their earlier models. Still I like what Ride1Up has been doling with their recent bikes. The Mini though is a very different bike, and I have no use for the extra seat on the Runner Plus, so really you have to decide do you need the special features of the Rad bikes, because there are quite a few differences in these bikes and I don't see them as equivalent.

Last edited:
So I've been researching for a few weeks now and after narrowing it down to a handful of bikes was planning on making my final decision and either ordering a RadMini 4 or preordering a RadRunner Plus tonight.

Then this pops up in my news feed as having just been announced today. Go figure.

https://ride1up.com/product/lmtd-2/?wpam_id=18 $1695 preorder
  • 750w/1000w peak vs 500w/750w (don't know how the MXUS compares to the Bafang)
  • Hydraulic brakes.
  • Class 3, in the event I'd ever decide I wanted to go that fast (wasn't any kind of priority, but all other things being balanced I wouldn't turn it down)
  • Torque PAS
  • 100nM torque vs 80nM
  • Air suspension fork
  • Same capacity battery
  • 15-20 Lbs lighter (though it's not clear whether the Ride1Up listed weight includes the battery or not, it should still at least be a few Lbs lighter).
I see huge value propositions like this all the time from unknowns, but from what I've gathered this is a fairly established, reputable company.

Any huge deficiencies of this new bike, or should I just be looking for the Futurama 'take my money!' meme?

Hi Jeremy,

I was in the same boat as you until recently. See my post for a more details. With advice from the members here that know more than I do...which is probably all of them...I have expanded my search to other brands with excellent quality and reputation but not well known in the United States. The real factor will be how much you want to spend.

Bill H.

@CityExplorer yes, the Mini is totally different. Was just planning on deciding how much I would value the portability.

But the Ride1Up looks to be trying to shake things up - not around as long, but generally well-reviewed, and hard to ignore that feature set from a company that isn't just dipping its toes in the market.

@Serialnerd thanks - I'll check that these out

You might like this thread on Ride1up new models

@Art Deco thanks. I had checked that forum earlier and didn't read through that thread as I assumed from its title and age that it wouldn't have been discussed. Good info in there.

Guess I need to touch base with a couple of LBS to see how they feel about supporting/servicing e-bikes (I know one that will at least do an initial assembly/tuning).

As a person who carries tubes, air pump, tools 30 miles from home base & 36 miles from the LBS, the ride1up frame leaves off all capability of carry capacity. Plus I carry a 5 lb cable + lock. There are no convenient bike tethers in the concrete sidewalk for U-lock out in the wild where I ride. There are power poles, which accept a 6' cable.
There is not enough yoke in the back to keep a basket or rack from rocking from side to side. Or to keep a pannier from rubbing the rear tire. Frames hung from the seat post wiggle. If someone will come get you whenever you have a problem, have at it. You may never have to leave the bike to lock it up. I shop, visit, work, walk to town for a part with the bike locked up. Once while I was sitting down cooling off a passer by threatened to call an ambulance for me. That would have left the bike towed to the wrecker yard with no lock. The only tether near there was a 2' diameter tree. My significant other has a micro car incapable of containing a bicycle.

Last edited:
I didn't realize the frame was that difficult to work with; R1U does sell panniers so I figured they had that covered. Thanks for the heads up.

That sure looks like an optimistic ship date. Not sure that goes along with the world situation. Shouldn't the bikes be on the water for early June delivery? Haven't all the Chinese factories been shut down? I have no idea, but just thinking out loud.

Thanks for the 1st hand insights @indianajo . Also noted that the actual warranty to which they would be bound specifies it is voided above 275lbs - assuming that's an oversight since both the 700 and LMT'D say they can handle 300.

Ugh... I could probably go at this again and again and delay every day as I find another that seems better, but looks like the Rad products are reliable, at least a good value, and, being as ubiquitous as they are, likely easier to find someone familiar with them to provide service.

Though maybe I'll wait just a couple more days to see if 'bike month' sales are a thing.

Why would you preorder? Spring is here and its time to ride. Why worry about a few hundred dollars when you could be riding next week. I would not let the difference between hydraulic and cable brakes sway my decision. Fit, power and warranty are more of a concern.

Just my opinion.

Thanks for the 1st hand insights @indianajo . Also noted that the actual warranty to which they would be bound specifies it is voided above 275lbs - assuming that's an oversight since both the 700 and LMT'D say they can handle 300.

Ugh... I could probably go at this again and again and delay every day as I find another that seems better, but looks like the Rad products are reliable, at least a good value, and, being as ubiquitous as they are, likely easier to find someone familiar with them to provide service.

Though maybe I'll wait just a couple more days to see if 'bike month' sales are a thing.

The fine print says bike will arrive 90% assembled you have to put on the front fork, front tire, seat, paddles, rack and fenders and crank arms need to be installed, a professional bicycle mechanic must review or complete the assembly to ensure all connections are properly secured and safe for writing we require proof of assembly, or a post assembly check by a professional bike mechanic for your warranty to be upheld

Why would you preorder? Spring is here and its time to ride. Why worry about a few hundred dollars when you could be riding next week. I would not let the difference between hydraulic and cable brakes sway my decision. Fit, power and warranty are more of a concern.

Just my opinion.
This is a good point, I'd hate to pre-order at this time and risk potential delays. I presume you have thought about this, but consider carefully.

Just my opinion.

I have to agree with this too. Why wait? There are probably at least a half dozen bikes in your price range that meet your requirements. A Rad bike would be a fine choice.

As a person who carries tubes, air pump, tools 30 miles from home base & 36 miles from the LBS, the ride1up frame leaves off all capability of carry capacity.

Lol someone is unaware you can install racks on bikes that don't come with a rack preinstalled. This bike has rack mounts.

Lol someone is unaware you can install racks on bikes that don't come with a rack preinstalled. This bike has rack mounts.
You mean the holes in the back flange? It also requires a flat place behind the seat to keep the rack from wiggling & struts scrape the tire. Ride1up left that out. You may be able to get away with just a seat post mount if you don't carry more than 2 pounds.
Saw the ride1up 700 being considered by wings02. It has a "rack". The front support is so flimsy, it might be suitable for carrying your plastic dolly for a ride: As long as she was full of air.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm sold on not waiting on a pre-order. Not worth losing 1-2 months (or potentially even more) of prime enjoyment weather.

So in full disclosure, I'd never known that May was "National Bike Month" in the USA. Anyone recall if Rad (or others) do any promotions in 'celebration'?

One small thought about this would be that owning a class 3 might be restrictive regarding where you're allowed to ride it. For instance there is a sign at the beginnings of bike/walking trails near where I live that states class 2&3 prohibited 20MPH. Now I can convert my class 2 Rad to class 1 just by unplugging my throttle but the same can't be said for a class 3. I almost ordered a Ride1 but it wasn't in stock so I ordered a Rad Rover and glad I did due to the restrictions.

Back