Warthog HD/MD Thread

RMK!

Well, I would like to kick off the Bolton Ebikes Thread here on the EBR Forum. Like many, I have been watching the Kyle Chittock YouTube videos on all things ebikes and have learned a lot there. It has also given me the knowledge and tools (literally) to do simple maintenance on my families rapidly expanding ebike collection.

The most recent ebike purchase was this morning. I ordered the Warthog HD750 with dual batteries. I had the opportunity to ride both the HD750 and the MD1000 at the Bolton facility in Grass Valley and came away from that demo ride committed to ordering a Warthog. After posting a short ride review in the Bikonit Thread in this Forum, I received feedback that these bikes could be purchased for a much lower cost direct from China. It seemed like a to good to be true situation but the only risk seemed to be after sale support so i placed an order for an MD1000 on Alibaba in mid May. The savings after shipping and tax were still considerable so I felt relatively, comfortable with my decision.

After 2 months, and 2 missed shipping commitment dates I cancelled the MD1000 order and fortunately, I received a refund of my prepayment from Alibaba. After a couple of demo ebike rides I then decided to go in a completely different direction and ordered a Specialized Turbo Creo e-road bike as my daily rider. All ebikes present a level of compromise and I thought the Creo would provide the most utility for my regular use case (paved trail riding). But for off road use and overall comfort, the Creo was not exactly what I wanted.

I then decided to indulge myself and get 2 ebikes that would meet all my use requirements. I started test riding mountain ebikes but nothing I rode was as comfortable or powerful as the Warthog ebikes. With a clearer view of what I wanted and with August delivery assured by Bolton, I made the decision to get the less expensive but still very capable Warthog HD750 with an extra battery for range. I love the Warthogs best in the industry stealth dual battery design and hope to get 60-80 mile range with my riding style (99% pedalling). Another large factor is supporting a local bike store (LBS) that has helped me with demo rides and will provide after sale support. That support is worth a lot considering the new technology in these ebikes and was a consideration in the Specialized purchase.

Being as I am riding +/- 100 miles per week, and this riding is keeping me healthy and happy, the cost considerations became less important (what's a nice jetski cost these days?). I'm on a path to a perfect complement of Ebikes and with the wife now riding an ebike, its a healthy activity we can share. I also ordered a bike rack for our SUV so we can take them on the road. We have a trip to the coast for a much needed week of C-19 avoiding vacation (she works in medicine). That will be our first trip that features ebikes as a focused activity of the trip.

Sorry for the long ramble but I hope some will find information that may be helpful in your own ebike quest.

Last edited:
Well August delivery is not happening. New stated date is early to mid September. Roll eyes ....

Hope everything works out. Studying Kyles history (admittedly from quite a distance) he's gotten a lot of people a lot of ebikes in the past few years. I'm in the same boat you're in hoping for my delivery sometime in September. Kyle announced the 'Raptor' a rebadged Frey bike 5 months ago. You have to suspect he does his buying on Alibaba. I don't think he goes to China to make deals. %^)

This covid virus has royally screwed everything up. For all we know the factories making these things could have lost many employees. Lockdowns still going on over there. I would be especially worried about the frame welders. Not a skill easily come by. Personally I'm hoping Kyle well get it done. I know I payed a premium for Kyle's middle man services but the bikes are still reasonably priced. Doing business with China will be beyond tough for a long time to come.

I don't know if Kyle has been to China but it is really immaterial. He is doing sufficient volume to get product and all you have to do is go into any B&M bike shop to see that production for the big bike companies has slowed immeasurably since C-19. I feel lucky to have been able to get 4 of the 6 ebikes I have ordered with the other 2 scheduled next month.

I think the ebike craze is justified and I hope that consumers behave responsibly and not screw it up for those of us who ride existing bike trails showing respect to the acoustic bike community. Fortunately, non-throttle ebikes like my Specialized Turbo Creo are very stealth and have garnered rave reviews from all levels of cyclists. The Specialized racing team uses Turbo Creos for their off day training rides. That sends a huge pay attention signal to the bike community in general.

I am going to wrap up my comments here as due to more missed delivery dates, I reverted back to a factory MD 1000 which will be arriving soon. The delays were not anyone's fault and were due to the serious supply chain issues caused by the C-19 epidemic.

I hope you all get your bikes soon and enjoy them. I would like to hear from MD 1000 Warthog owners about your impressions and so will be checking in occasionally. I am a fan of Bolton and love the videos and podcasts. Keep up the good work Kyle!

I'm curious about reports on the Sturmy Archer grh and belt drive setup. Specifically, is the hub holding up to that motor's power and is the gear range adequate?

I'm curious about reports on the Sturmy Archer grh and belt drive setup. Specifically, is the hub holding up to that motor's power and is the gear range adequate?
Check out the Generic MD 1000 and HD 750 ebike model discussion. It seems to work well,but some tweaking when the components get broken in.

In short no, the SA IGH is not holding up well. In fact, it is failing for many MD 1000 buyers and the Chinese manufacture of these bikes is working on another IGH option. In the meantime, they have offered (at a reduced cost) owners who purchased factory direct a replacement drive train that is the same 9 speed SRAM X5 cassette/chain setup that is in the MD 750 and HD 750 models. This is a fix of sorts for those who have had serious IGH failures. In my case, I have been riding the MD 1000 with SA IGH for 1400 miles and although I haven't experienced a catastrophic failure, the IGH is the most frustrating aspect of this otherwise excellent ebike. The regular clanks and phantom gear changes tell me that my IGH will fail soon. This is despite my changing out the shift cable and my constant adjustments to the cable and belt tension systems.

I have ridden the MD 1000 carefully not using throttle much and never shifting under load and I'm sure that is why I have been able get to 1400 miles but the IGH is getting worse every day and I am planning on the SRAM changeout in the near future. I would prefer a more robust belt IGH option but it may be a while before that option arrives so I'm going with the SRAM option in the meantime.

If I were ordering one now, I'd request the SRAM drive train, not the SA IGH.

Last edited:
In short no, the SA IGH is not holding up well. In fact, it is failing for many MD 1000 buyers and the Chinese manufacture of these bikes is working on another IGH option. In the meantime, they have offered (at a reduced cost) owners who purchased factory direct a replacement drive train that is the same 9 speed SRAM X5 cassette/chain setup that is in the MD 750 and HD 750 models. This is a fix of sorts for those who have had serious IGH failures. In my case, I have been riding the MD 1000 with SA IGH for 1400 miles and although I haven't experienced a catastrophic failure, the IGH is the most frustrating aspect of this otherwise excellent ebike. The regular clanks and phantom gear changes tell me that my IGH will fail soon. This is despite my changing out the shift cable and my constant adjustments to the cable and belt tension systems.

I have ridden the MD 1000 carefully not using throttle much and never shifting under load and I'm sure that is why I have been able get to 1400 miles but the IGH is getting worse every day and I am planning on the SRAM changeout in the near future. I would prefer a more robust belt IGH option but it may be a while before that option arrives so I'm going with the SRAM option in the meantime.

If I were ordering one now, I'd request the SRAM drive train, not the SA IGH.
That’s great info. I purchased my MD 1000 about 4 months ago & it finally arrived on the 27th of Feb. 2021. No instructions & my first Ebike. I struggled to figure out how to get the front tire on. After my first ride on the bike I’ve been told the SA inner hub is broken. As I was riding and shifting gears it started to clank & skip. Then the pedals just turn & the back wheel does not move. I contacted the Manufacturer & was told by the sales person they had existing knowledge of the problems with the rear hub. They do not get any service from SA in the US & I was told they’ll be suing them. They offered to send me a replacement 9 Speed Chain which is what’s used on the 750 but a local ebike shop said the 1000 Bafang Motor will most like break the chain. They don’t have any extra SA inner hubs on hand & they won’t let me return the Ebike for a refund even though I paid $600 to ship it here & I’m willing to pay $600 to ship it back. Does anyone know of another rear hub I can use to enable me to keep the belt drive? Alibaba Trade Assurance should be making a decision soon.

That’s great info. I purchased my MD 1000 about 4 months ago & it finally arrived on the 27th of Feb. 2021. No instructions & my first Ebike. I struggled to figure out how to get the front tire on. After my first ride on the bike I’ve been told the SA inner hub is broken. As I was riding and shifting gears it started to clank & skip. Then the pedals just turn & the back wheel does not move. I contacted the Manufacturer & was told by the sales person they had existing knowledge of the problems with the rear hub. They do not get any service from SA in the US & I was told they’ll be suing them. They offered to send me a replacement 9 Speed Chain which is what’s used on the 750 but a local ebike shop said the 1000 Bafang Motor will most like break the chain. They don’t have any extra SA inner hubs on hand & they won’t let me return the Ebike for a refund even though I paid $600 to ship it here & I’m willing to pay $600 to ship it back. Does anyone know of another rear hub I can use to enable me to keep the belt drive? Alibaba Trade Assurance should be making a decision soon.
Not to dispute your LBS "opinion" but the chain they will send you is a KMC Ebike specific one. Many ebike models are using the Bafang Ultra motor and most of those are using chain drives. Breaking the chain or stripping the cassette gears requires shifting under load so if you ride with some care you should be fine. That $600 you were willing to pay for return shipping will cover a lot of chain/cassette replacements. I hope Alibaba comes through for you and they compensate you for the replacement cost of the SRAM parts and installation. You might want to find another LBS to do your work.

Are Bikonit and Bolton connected in any way? I called Bikonit in Ontario California to order a bike but asked if I could come into the store and see one and possibly ride one. He said they don’t have bikes and they only do online orders. He suggested I go to Bolton in Grass Valley and test ride the bikes and decide which one I want then order from Bikonit. This seemed pretty strange and unless Bikonit is connected with Bolton I don’t think Bolton would appreciate it.
I ended up purchasing a Warthog from Bolton Friday and it’s scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Not bad. I’m definitely giving Bolton more business in the future.

Are Bikonit and Bolton connected in any way? I called Bikonit in Ontario California to order a bike but asked if I could come into the store and see one and possibly ride one. He said they don’t have bikes and they only do online orders. He suggested I go to Bolton in Grass Valley and test ride the bikes and decide which one I want then order from Bikonit. This seemed pretty strange and unless Bikonit is connected with Bolton I don’t think Bolton would appreciate it.
I ended up purchasing a Warthog from Bolton Friday and it’s scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Not bad. I’m definitely giving Bolton more business in the future.
It seems they are separate business but have a business relationship for the Warthog models. Bikonit is using the Warthog name now so they must be working together. I agree, working with Bolton Ebikes is nice and Kyle does a lot to enhance/support ebiking on a nationwide scale due to his interesting and helpful Podcasts and YouTube videos.

Bolton is solid and Kyle is a responsible business owner. I personally bought 2HD750 bikes from China.
My buddy purchased an HD750 from Kyle. I suggested he buy from Bolton/Kyle rather than China. As the brick and mortar would give WAY BETTER after sales support.
Sure enough, My advice carried some weight! My buddy had an issue with his rear wheel and Kyle gave the very support I was referring to. Above and beyond support actually.

Bolton is solid and Kyle is a responsible business owner. I personally bought 2HD750 bikes from China.
My buddy purchased an HD750 from Kyle. I suggested he buy from Bolton/Kyle rather than China. As the brick and mortar would give WAY BETTER after sales support.
Sure enough, My advice carried some weight! My buddy had an issue with his rear wheel and Kyle gave the very support I was referring to. Above and beyond support actually.
Yeah, if I had a do-over I'd probably pay a little more and buy a MD750 from Bolton although he wasn't offering it at the time I ordered the bike from China. I rode the HD750 at the Bolton shop and liked it but the additional power/torque of the Bafang Ultra MD was too much to pass up.

Kyle also helps people who don't buy from him.

I bought a china bike, had some issues with the controller. Kyle helped me install the Bolton Radpower upgrade controller and display, located the wire harness I needed to make the china bike ands his controller work for me.

$250 later my bike was out performing the original setup and 5,600 miles later it is going strong. Mark and Kyle are good guys and I highly recommend them.

Last edited:
It seems they are separate business but have a business relationship for the Warthog models. Bikonit is using the Warthog name now so they must be working together. I agree, working with Bolton Ebikes is nice and Kyle does a lot to enhance/support ebiking on a nationwide scale due to his interesting and helpful Podcasts and YouTube videos.
Weird to reply to myself, I know but I think it is important to let people know when a product with a know significant defect is still being sold. The details taken from a thread in the Bikonit Section are in the quote box below.
I find it disturbing that Bikonit, Bolton and the Alibaba OEM's are still selling the Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 IGH drivetrain on the MD 1000. I was just on the Bolton Ebikes website and they have the "Warthog" version of the MD1000 "on sale" with only the SA IGH option. They aren't even offering the SRAM option ???

Based upon the large number of failures reported here and, Strumey Archers claims that they won't honor the warranty on this drivetrain when used with a 1000W mid-drive motor, it seems unconscionable that these companies are still selling these ebikes.

The MD 1000 with the SRAM chain drive is a good performing/value ebike and the Rohloff IGH looks to be a good if expensive choice for using an IGH on the MD 1000. The Sturmey Archer RX-RK5 is simply not up to the task of shifting when used with a powerful ebike motor. This thread alone contains many painful descriptions of such failures and I'm sure that these reports are only the tip of the iceberg.

Being as I started this Thread and was an early fan of the IGH tech used, ultimately the finnicky nature that led to ultimate failure of the SA IGH was very disappointing. I managed to eek a couple of thousand miles out of the SA IGH but it was not without a lot of time and effort. The only way to avoid the failure of this fragile drivetrain is not to use it much. For those of you who infrequently ride and when you do you are very careful not to shift under power you might actually be OK ... for awhile. For the rest, it is inevitable that this critical component will fail and be very time consuming and expensive to remedy.

As it turns out, Biktrix was the only company to realize the fragility of the SA IGH and they never offered it on their Juggernaut Ultra Beast version of the MD 1000. IMO. That puts them in the category of smart people who care about their products reliability. As for the others, you can draw your own conclusions.

Caveat Emptor!

Tried to warn you and others more than a year ago. Apology accepted.

Tried to warn you and others more than a year ago. Apology accepted.
I’m new to the forum but wanted to share part of an email I received from the manufacturer of my China bought Warthog1000.
I will agree Kyle is amazing & him & his staff have helped & answered questions even though I did not buy the ebike here in the states. Yes my rear hub broke after the 2nd ride & China replaced with a complete chain system. The below email came August 2,2021.
(We just did a test on the battery
it has some problems on BMS
BMS is defective when we testing
so now we need to change all BMS
or you send battery to our after sale service
Don't put the battery in the bike now, put it in an open place
now the dealing ways is to change BMS or you send battery to our USA after sale service
We tested 1000 batteries and 2 of them Spontaneous combustion.
Although it is a test,but it has defective
Our boss is very cautious
We provide the service of making an appointment to pick up the battery from the terminal customer by express delivery).
” I contacted the repair battery facility. They said send it in or bring it. I haven’t yet too busy working but I will. No charge to fix.
For those of you who own this ebike you might be getting a notice soon. Best of luck

I’m new to the forum but wanted to share part of an email I received from the manufacturer of my China bought Warthog1000.
I will agree Kyle is amazing & him & his staff have helped & answered questions even though I did not buy the ebike here in the states. Yes my rear hub broke after the 2nd ride & China replaced with a complete chain system. The below email came August 2,2021.
(We just did a test on the battery
it has some problems on BMS
BMS is defective when we testing
so now we need to change all BMS
or you send battery to our after sale service
Don't put the battery in the bike now, put it in an open place
now the dealing ways is to change BMS or you send battery to our USA after sale service
We tested 1000 batteries and 2 of them Spontaneous combustion.
Although it is a test,but it has defective
Our boss is very cautious
We provide the service of making an appointment to pick up the battery from the terminal customer by express delivery).
” I contacted the repair battery facility. They said send it in or bring it. I haven’t yet too busy working but I will. No charge to fix.
For those of you who own this ebike you might be getting a notice soon. Best of luck
yes they are swapping the BMS on the batteries.

they have had my batteries since Aug 12. still waiting, it was only supposed to take 7-10 days, then I got an email stating they were still waiting on the new parts from China (repair facility is in CA), which would arrive on Aug 28, now it appears to be MAYBE mid to late September.

Back