Waiting to pull the plug...

John Dombrowski

Hello everyone. Happy New year!!! My name is JD.
We live in San Diego and my wife love to ride her bike for exercise but it limited to riding it on her stationary trainer in the backyard because she can't handle all the hills around town. So I am getting ready to buy her a new Turbo so she can get back out on the streets of San Diego and enjoy riding more.
Then in the spring I am going to get me a new Turbo S and start commuting to work. Its about a 25 mile round trip so I figure I will save quite a bit in gas on my Jeep.
Getting excited reading all the great posts here and can't wait to get on these things. Took the Turbo for a test ride last week and I am very impressed. I have a Roubaix Comp right now but have to admit at age 55 the hills are a little tough on me too to get any enjoyment out of it so I have that up for sale right now on craigslist. Should still be able to get a good buck for it.
Anyway glad to meet you all and I will talk to you all more when we get our Turbos.

Welcome to the world of ebikes. The Turbo is pretty well respected around here, so you should have a lot of fun with your new bikes. San Diego is where I first rented ebikes with my wife, and we were totally hooked after that first ride.

Hey JD! Sorry to read youre getting out of road biking. That Roubaix is an excellent bike.

Just a suggestion.. Make sure your wife wants an ebike and will ride the roads again, rather than you wanting it for her.

Hey JD! Sorry to read youre getting out of road biking. That Roubaix is an excellent bike.

Just a suggestion.. Make sure your wife wants an ebike and will ride the roads again, rather than you wanting it for her.

Oh she is ready. She wants to get out of the backyard and out on the streets again. And I am not getting out of road biking, just going to be doing some road biking with a little bit of help... :)

I have a 2014 Turbo S but I think the 2016 Turbo is a really good value. I would have a hard time convincing myself to choose the S over the standard Turbo if I were buying one today.

I have had my Base Model Turbo for about 3 months and 1,600 miles and absolutely love it. With a few tweaks to my personal preference I don't find myself longing for something else. Yes it would be fun to have the power of the S model, but I could never justify the cost difference. I also want to get exercise and have no need to go any faster that I can go now where I do most of my riding.

If you can, rent one for the weekend like I did and put some miles on it. Once I did, I knew it was the bike for me. They rent them in Monterey, it is a great town for cycling.

Back