Voltbike YUKON 500 Tire Repair- Can't find any place to repair

Chuck Caho

I own a voltbike Yukon 500W and like it very much. The only problem I have had is when I had a flat tire recently. I couldn’t find anyone willing to try and repair it because it won’t fit anything standard. I finally had to take it into a motorcycle shop and they charged me over $100! Sadly enough, I find myself with another flat tire and rather than take it back there I was wondering if someone might know what type of shop I could take it for the repair. I live in Bloomington IL and no bike shop or motorcycle shop is comfortable working on it. Any kits available to repair on my own or do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Chuck

You're right, not a lot of ebike shops in your area; however, keep checking with other local bike shops-somebody's got to be game! Court made a handy Guide to Fixing Flat Tires on Ebikes that has some good suggestions for tackling it on your own. As a long time ebike shop and repair center, we don't recommend patching that tube unless you're stuck by the side of a road. Better to get the right size Thorn Resistant tube (they're 4 times thicker than a regular tube) or at least a Tire Liner (Mr. Tuffy, or similar thicker liner). There are wide tire liners available now; more pricey than normal width ones but well worth the reduced headache of repeated flats. The extra weight and torque from the hub motor does make rear flats more likely and investing in heavier duty tires will help prevent a flat, too.

If you're doing this on your own, you may find it easier to do with the bike flipped upside down, then gravity helps you. Just make sure that the console or any control device, lights or cell phone holder are rotated from contact with the floor. Once you get the wheel removed then remove the whole tire this time to examine the rim itself for burrs or for a misaligned rim strip that could allow a spoke to puncture the tube. Also check the valve stem hole in the rim for smoothness, I've seen rough edges from there cut the valve stem. If you're going to re-use the tire then check the inside of the tire and the bead to make sure none of the threads inside are broken or feel really rough. Some tires will have metal or very stiff threads along the bead which if broken are sharp enough to flat a tube. A lot of time, the bead gets broken when a tire is repeatedly ridden with low tire pressure or the tube is worn by too much movement inside the tire, so watch the psi!

Let us know how it goes, @Chuck Caho; you'll be a pro at this in no time! :)One other suggestion; do the same upgrades for the front wheel at the same time and save yourself future trouble.

Another thought; it might be worth the drive to Chicago- several good ebike shops located there. It would give you the opportunity to build a comfortable relationship with a shop should you have an electronic issue with the bike that you can't fix on your own.

Does anyone find it difficult to remove the 26x4 Kenda Juggernaut? My Yukon 750 comes with a 30 TPI wired bead, and it is stiff. I attempted to rotate my tires because the rear was wearing faster than the front, but my standard plastic tire levers were not strong enough for the task, so I just left it alone for now.

On YouTube, it seemed so easy, but I think it is because those fat tires are 60 tpi, or 120 tpi and much softer.

@SuperGoop
Wire beads are tough.. Same deal on the Mariner 20x4".. Bought some replacement tires (flexible bead Vee's) for when replacement needs arrive. No way would I be able to change a tire on the road if I get a flat on this thing cuz of the bead... Travel with communication to the someone else is a must... hahaha..

Does anyone find it difficult to remove the 26x4 Kenda Juggernaut? My Yukon 750 comes with a 30 TPI wired bead, and it is stiff. I attempted to rotate my tires because the rear was wearing faster than the front, but my standard plastic tire levers were not strong enough for the task, so I just left it alone for now.

On YouTube, it seemed so easy, but I think it is because those fat tires are 60 tpi, or 120 tpi and much softer.

Make sure that the same side wire bead on the opposite side of the wheel (opposite of the wheel itself, not one side of the rim to the other...) is all the way to the center of the rim - this will allow relief on the side that you're trying to remove. I had the hardest time with my radrover, same tire - went to the shop and they suggested I try that...went out to my car and it popped off like nothing!

Back