Voltbike Mariner (tyre swap)

ncawthon

I'm needing to commute about 20 miles each day, and will be in bike lanes on the pavement, for the most part. Wanting to see what you would think the effect would be by swapping out the knobby tires for some more appropriate street tires. Mariner has a bigger engine and looks like more zip.

I'm needing to commute about 20 miles each day, and will be in bike lanes on the pavement, for the most part. Wanting to see what you would think the effect would be by swapping out the knobby tires for some more appropriate street tires. Mariner has a bigger engine and looks like more zip.

Maxxis Hookworms if they are available in your size! My e-bike was scary over 25 mph with mountain bike tires. Hookworms at 45 MPH increase range by 25 percent at 15-25 MPH and handle wonderfully at 45-50 MPH. On my e-bike (full-suspension 26" endure bicycle), better cornering than any cruiser motorcycle at that speed. Wouldn't try that kind of speed if you are new to bikes (I used to race motocross and MotoGP.)

Advice for a newbee bicyclist and Mariner owner?
How would I go about outfitting my Mariner with the Maxiss Hookworm tires?
What size or exact model?
Do I need new rims?
Thanks!
Andy

There are 20 in x 4 in road tyres available.
Check out VEE Tire Company's site.
Perhaps their SPEEDSTER might fit your needs.
You should search other bicycle tyre manufactures such as CHAOYANG.
They also offer a tire - SAND STORM - that could fit your needs.
Post your findings.
Good luck! ;)

I am also interested in tire replacements for the Mariner. I am having a hard time for finding 20inch replacement tires/tubes. Does anyone know if we can use something like a 20 inch x 2.35 inch tire or something like a 20 x 2.135 inch tire?

I think the Vee Speedster is a good one for the road... 20 x 4 but not sure about the smaller diam.. Please post if you get that set up, would love to see.
I've got the factory on the front still at 4000km's. The LBS said I should just run them down to the tread since I'm looking for a road tire anyway.
I've got the Vee MissionCommand20-N-20x4.0 cuz I was going for a flexible bead to help in the event of needing to change a tire.. Wire beads have been hard for me as a noob bike tire repair-r:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Walmart sells a Tube for the Mongoose 20 x 4:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
They used to sell a tire as well... think it can be found on Amazon though.
I'm happy with the Kenda Heavy Duty but they seem gone from Amazon at the moment:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-HEAVY-DUTY-Inner-Tubes/product-reviews/B00ZL50TJ6

Thinkin you'd be good with some 3XL Tuffy liners before tires though I have not done the same as of yet...

Comparison with the factory set.. I'll let you guess which is which :p
2017KendaHeavyDuty.jpg

Back