virtue cargo/box bike

kzee

hi all,

i am new to these forums and have been looking at a lot of options for an e cargo bike to ditch the second car , get back on my bike , and be happier. biggest needs are toddler transport, errands, some cargo from work. have been hoping for a workable budget option, and still looking ... Yuba Mundo and xtracycle ER longtails are in the running, but can get up into the $4000 +- price range.

i like the idea of my little guy in front of me vs behind me, but i imagine he and i would get used to whichever bike i end up with.

has anyone ridden this one below or tested it out? gondoliere-e-cargo bike retails for msrp 1400.

WIKE bike makes a box bike for 1200 but no electric option from them.

I would love to go all out and get a CMET or something in a pricier range like a fully stocked edgerunner, but i have a slightly questionable lockup situation at work where my bike will be quite a bit. haven't had any problem locking up at work there in the past with my old mountain bike, but the old bike is a beater .

if anyone has ridden the virtue, or has suggestions for out of the box lower cost e cargo options, lemme know. thx, keith

Have you looked into NTS cargo bicycles?

This is developed by Neal Saiki who was the seminal figure behind Santa Cruz MTB's and Zero S electric motorcycles.
Also the cargo on this bike is in the front as you mentioned.
They developed a cargo bike and offer lifetime battery warranty. Here are some videos:

Lifetime rebuildable battery:

Last edited:
How far will you pedal every day and over what type of terrain?
give or take 5 miles each way on work days. tucson, az , mostly flat, hot and dry 1/2 year , windy often. i could prob do without e assist in the future if i had to but need the little extra push right now.

give or take 5 miles each way on work days. tucson, az , mostly flat, hot and dry 1/2 year , windy often. i could prob do without e assist in the future if i had to but need the little extra push right now.
Hi kzee, welcome to the forum. You've called out most of the cargo bikes I'm aware of. I realize some of them are more expensive and I'd love to review the Virtuebike but haven't seen one in the wild. You could always electrify your own bike with a BionX or Falco kit but that will add ~$1,000 and require some tinkering on your part.

One alternative for you could be to purchase a normal electric bike and use a Burley trailer occasionally for hauling your child and groceries, gear etc. I like this kind of solution because it's modular and you could potentially carry two kids (for a play date) or really load up on stuff. It keeps the cargo low, safe and stable.

Back