VIDEO NEWS: Shimano e6100

Very cool!
The only thing Shimano is skimping out on is "class 3 - 28mph" top speed... I wonder why!?

"28 mph" is a tough subject for me. I find that systems claiming a 28mph top speed don't get that fast without inordinate coaxing.

Very cool!
The only thing Shimano is skimping out on is "class 3 - 28mph" top speed... I wonder why!?

I spoke to a Shimano rep who said that he thinks it's not within Shimano's philosophy to do a class 3 motor (AKA 45 KM/h). It's not that they can't, it's just that he thinks they have no interest in doing so. They're focused on people going slower and being more active on the bike and enjoying the outdoors at a slower pace. They'll probably not do class 3, and will definitely never do a throttle, he figures. Don't know if he's right or if he's wrong, but his observations fit the end product so there's probably something to what he says.

Following up on my own point, I found this quote on a Shimano's website: "We promote health and happiness through the enjoyment of nature and the world around us."

It seems that they find class 1 e-bikes more in line with that philosophy than class 2 or class 3. Agree or disagree with them (I ride class 3 to enjoy the outdoors, so I disagree), but that seems to be their approach.

Back