Video interview with Paul from EM3Ev

Paul's a very creative innovator in the EBike world; interesting video, Ravi!

Paul from EM3ev.jpg

Thanks, Ann!

Some people who go the DIY route get burned up badly and that leaves them with a bad impression of E-bikes.

We wanted to highlight those who are really serving the community and Paul is one of the gems.

Thanks Ravi. I wish Paul could ship from the US, or warehouse in the US and ship. I've noticed his frame for many months. I don't know what you would end up with if you stuck to a standard Mac, maybe 1000-1500 watts, and nice components, on that frame. The power he is talking about with that new Mac is too much, but I wonder what frame people should be using to go 28 mph+. Beefy suspension with plenty of room for a battery. Might work for you. Great video.

Thanks Ravi. I wish Paul could ship from the US, or warehouse in the US and ship. I've noticed his frame for many months. I don't know what you would end up with if you stuck to a standard Mac, maybe 1000-1500 watts, and nice components, on that frame. The power he is talking about with that new Mac is too much, but I wonder what frame people should be using to go 28 mph+. Beefy suspension with plenty of room for a battery. Might work for you. Great video.

George,
I think Paul is already working on that. He has made some connections and the US customers may be able to get 4-5 turnaround.
With all your experience, you can start Em3ev-USA store right from Utah.
Think about it... it's going to be a fun experience and you will get to experience the whole gamut of E-bike industry :)

George,
I think Paul is already working on that. He has made some connections and the US customers may be able to get 4-5 turnaround.
With all your experience, you can start Em3ev-USA store right from Utah.
Think about it... it's going to be a fun experience and you will get to experience the whole gamut of E-bike industry :)
Ravi,

It's easy to point to two guys who have valuable battery franchises. Eric wraps himself in his pet projects but what he owns is a fantastic battery business. Eric is easily distracted. Paul seems more focused but I'm not sure why he isn't configured to compete directly with Eric.

@roshan comes up with interesting designs, but has no money for marketing. @Tora Harris has a couple of nice bikes. Sondors has come up with a couple of decent designs. These guys stay within the regs.

Paul could probably sell kits with that frame. If Utah revises their ebike laws, 28 mph would be legal, and 1000 watts. When you think about the complexities of things like 'off road' trail bikes, what do you do?

Someone is going to have a 100,000 units a year ebike fairly soon. (I really hope it isn't Walmart.) Southern Utah would be a great place to build that bike.

The part of the video where he talks about a fuse for every cell in a battery, sounds like it would fix these cheap device fires, if it were made a law.

From what I am experiencing right now, Paul's company could really use some help in the customer service and communication area. I am sure Paul is a nice guy but I am starting to wonder how involved he is in the day to day operations. For example there is no real time chat with support or an ordering desk. There is also no phone number to call if you have an issue with an order or a product. Maybe I am old school, but I do not think you can do everything by Email or Text without have a lot of communication issues. In my experience if you want your company to grow then communication is a very big key.

Let me add this. There needs to be a direct email to Paul if a customer has an issue that needs his immediate attention.

Jason

His business model has worked for more than 5 years. It’s a shame you didnt understand going in. Ive had 3 kits, and about to order another this week. I use ebike forums to sort builds. Oddly i have no problem threadiing the wiring through the Grin torque arms. Has anything been resolved?

Thomas, I can appreciate your point of view if you have an established friendship. If you do then it is more difficult for you to be objective and take into consideration what I have posted above. My response to your comment is simply this, as I understand you.

In your opinion his business model has worked for more than 5 years. Do you work directly for the business and are you involved handling feedback or the customer complaints they might receive? If not then how would you really know. Unless a customer speaks up you do not know what works or does not work. This is true for every business. Thomas, I think I need to hold the rest of my comments here, but do not think for minute that I am the only customer that has ever had an issue. I am just one of the customers that has bothered to speak up instead of just walking away.

Jason

Last edited:
I do not work for Paul or Eric, but I have been a customer of both. In the beginning Luna had great customer service, or so it seemed, that illusion has been shattered by my last two dealings with Luna. So I gave Paul a try, and while communication is slow, he at least tells it like it is rather than giving me BS like the Luna boy. I have a low tolerance for BS, and based solely on my experience with Paul thus far, I will be buying from him again. I buy in bulk as I am a business and I would have thought Luna would give a little extra in the way of customer support, but that was not the case. Paul is always quick with an answer. I can't even remember the last time I was able to get ahold of Eric. The only time I buy from Luna now is when I cannot get what I need from another vendor. That's very seldom! Just my $0.02.

Rick do you communicate with Paul directly? If you do that is more than likely the difference. I also have no doubt, if I placed a much larger order as you mentioned you do, I more than likely would have been treated differently. This was a small order and our first so we were testing the water so to speak. As far as Luna goes, I have been in contact with them also and treated very politely. I just have not placed an order with them yet. So I cannot comment as to their customer service or support. I will say that Grin has been outstanding as well as Golden Motor. Luna, Grin, and Golden all have Phone numbers they can be reached at to place an order or receive sales assistance.

Jason

I do communicate with Paul directly. Although at times he cannot be reached easily. When he was at interbike I talked to Joseph, who got ahold of Paul and he called me back! And I have to agree the guys at Grin are the best! One of my favorite suppliers!

That’s the difference! When I asked if there was a phone number to contact the company, Joesph told me there was no phone. When I asked how to be connected or communicate with Paul directly, I was never connected, provided a phone number, or received a call back like you have. If that had happened and I had received a call from Paul I suspect everything would have gone smoother and any issues most likely could have been avoided.

Jason

Frankly I find building with parts from multiple vendors, especially as a n00b, a course with many pitfalls. Had I read you before the purchase I would have suggested your, "testing the water" was ill advised.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Since you have no clue as to what my experience or skill level is you really have no right to decide what is appropriate. Do you think that someone else should decide for you and others? Sorry I do not think that will fly. Guess what Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, BMW, Honda, Nissan, and just about all the car manufacturers buy from different vendors. Most of them buy from multiple vendors. I am going to use an old adage here you have most likely have heard before. " You should never put your eggs all in one basket." If your source goes out of business then you are out of luck. So you better establish more than one relationship.

As far as being a Noob is concerned, what do you feel I am a Noob to? Bicycles? Wrong! Electric Motors? Wrong! Electronics? Wrong again! Recumbent Bicycles? Very Very Wrong! Purchasing? No did that for a multi-million dollar company! Business? Nope, own one of those now and have owned others in the past! So if you asked if I have ever built an E-Bike I would have to tell you no. Guess what! I have worked on the Electronics in several different kinds of Aircraft so I figure that combined with my bicycle mechanics, car mechanics, and electronics, I probably can handle it. In fact except for a faulty part that I was sent and the horrendous customer service experience that you are dragging from one part of this forum to the other; my my testing the water has gone flawlessly. I also have an excellent group of support people who have built several E-bikes and manufacturers in the bicycle industry that I can reach out to if I need help.

Please let me know if you have any other concerns.

Jason

Thomas I see that even though you told me in private email you were going to leave this alone, apparently your personal word has no value either. Here you are months later commenting on a situation where you lack all the facts. Let’s see in the past you attempted to blame it on my skill level and lack of knowledge and that was quickly debunked, now you claim it’s just the business model (again you lack all the facts). Grow Up and take your blinders off. Owners are in control of their companies not business models. As a business owner myself I clearly understand this. It seems you have a habit of getting facts wrong. You need to look back in your Crystal Ball and find out why the bike shops you listed are no where close to me.

You must really be bored to be continuing to comment on a post I made back in November of 2017. Now why don’t you tell others the real truth behind your involvement. You feel you have this imaginary friendship with a person behind the company but you have never met him in person. What a foundation for involving yourself in a business dispute where you lack all the facts lol.

By the way. I do avoid buying from that company now as I am sure they avoid selling to me. I also discourage other members of my forum to make their purchases elsewhere too. I also write for a publication at times and if I happen to write an article related to this and most likely I will, I will be pointing out places to avoid buying from if they have certain practices. Companies have to stand behind their products. They should not mislabel what they sell, they should include manuals or directions, be properly packed and inspected so their will be no missing parts or damage. A copy of the Warranty for the parts ordered including hub motors should be included in the box, emailed, or available for download.

Jason

Last edited:
Back