Vado SL charging error

rideallday

Region
USA
Uh, I was charging my Vado SL 4.0 for only the 3rd time today off the normal 110v outlet in my garage and received a charging error (blinking red). The charger itself was quite hot, so I immediately unplugged it and powered down. The manual says to 'discontinue motor support' and see the dealer.

has anyone experienced this? Is this really something I need to have checked with the dealer or can I ride it normally?

I have ridden the bike a total of 50-60 miles.

It worked itself out. The charger was overheating and just needed to cool down. It was rather warm today so the ambient temperature in my garage was a contributing factor. I just charged it up again now and things are back to normal.
+ 45°C ambient is max charging temperature in the manual. Perhaps the added heat of the charge cycle exceeded some limit on a thermal breaker? It would be nice to know internally that is true.

Yes, the SL charger is the hottest thing we ever had. I mean, the hottest charger we had in nine years of several e-bikes... ;-)
I don't know why (the charger is not slow, but also not that fast and quite big, not that tiny/stuffed). But the heat of the housing is terrifying. It's ok, if you just charge for 30 minutes or if it's freezing around the charger. But a full charge cycle in summer is terrible. We charge in the garage and all our chargers lay there on a wooden shelf. I never worried about that before, with the SL charger I do... :-(

Yes, the SL charger is the hottest thing we ever had. I mean, the hottest charger we had in nine years of several e-bikes... ;-)
I don't know why (the charger is not slow, but also not that fast and quite big, not that tiny/stuffed). But the heat of the housing is terrifying. It's ok, if you just charge for 30 minutes or if it's freezing around the charger. But a full charge cycle in summer is terrible. We charge in the garage and all our chargers lay there on a wooden shelf. I never worried about that before, with the SL charger I do... :-(
No fan I assume? Better set one up to blow that heat away @jodi2 ... and maybe some metal on that wood shelf.

I am going to have to check the temperature of mine next time I charge.

Every lithium battery or device I have I charge on or in a piece of aluminum or stainless. The bike itself is charged in our apartment building’s underground garage which is equipped with a halon system and actually is very cool even in summer (my car says 24°C on start). Personally I was surprised at the size of the Specialized charger brick given its power specification. If you were charging in a hot garage, even below 45°C , it’s not good for the battery.

The temperatures here are totally normal/ok for a Li-Io battery and the charging speed is not that fast, about 0.5 C. The SL charger is the hottest one I ever saw and no one else ever needed a cooling fan. But I will place it on some kind of metal or stone/ceramic plate.

Back