Vado SL 5.0 -- It's Here!

No its really light but if they made a model for some minor offroading, having a suspension fork would be nice; but right now the SL is a really good fitness bike as is
I assume you've never tried either the Specialized FutureShock or Redshift ShockStop stem? :) (A suspension fork only increases the weight. Cheap suspension fork is even not close to either FutureShock or Redshift).

You're lucky because the fork of your Vado 5.0 is adequate. Don't try Redshift, as it is not recommended (really) to use two suspensions systems in series.
Still, compare the weight of a Vado SL and Levo SL Comp. Levo is far more heavy because of dual suspension.

You're lucky because the fork of your Vado 5.0 is adequate. Don't try Redshift, as it is not recommended (really) to use two suspensions systems in series.
Still, compare the weight of a Vado SL and Levo SL Comp. Levo is far more heavy because of dual suspension.

This makes sense, I thought I read that the Levo and Vado SL's were around the same weight but the suspension being heavier is logical

This makes sense, I thought I read that the Levo and Vado SL's were around the same weight but the suspension being heavier is logical
Another surprise is that the Como SL with IGH weighs as much as my Como with derailleur.

That was what I was referring to in post #3 when I said "the bike for you". I remember reading your posts when you were searching out your first ebike an SLs didn't exist yet,
"An ebike under 40 lbs used to be really rare and ridiculously expensive. Now they are just ridiculously expensive. Progress!"
That, WEIGHT, was the deciding factor for me and the Creo. While I did get the heaviest Credo, Aluminum, I wanted a bike I could get up short flights of steps to my house - 6 from the street, 3 to the deck and 3 more to the house. I also wanted to be able to lit it on a rack. Again, weight made that determination. Now when I tested the Creo, I knew it had a bit less power than my titanium front hub converted bike when I tested it. I rode a steep hill three times. It was harder than the front hub bike but I was able to do it with some effort. But I still slept on it for a week. Then asked for another test ride. Doing that same steep hill with some others about 3 or 4 times. Yes, it was work but it worked. Decision made.

Now ask me if that will work after another year of aging!!!!!. THE ACCOUNTANT has told me I can buy another, new and improved as long as I consider selling an older one. She must be obeyed. o_O

So, yes, the Creo is not tops in power and neither am I but it seems to work. There is one hill, deadend down to a beach which I pass on and let my friend do on her more powerful and much heavier bike while I sit and contemplate nature. I did the front hub bike on that hill three times. The last time, the bike just stopped a block from the top. Fortunately, it powered up again when I walked it to the top. (which raises a question to be asked in another thread)

This is the reason I really think being able to test the bike or bikes is necessary. Specifications are great but those are paper numbers. Oh, and the Creo is much more stable than that front hub conversion. Much less squirrely and twitchy so I prefer the Creo on steep hills.

edited to add: But I'm not commuting on it day in and day out. Not doing the same steep hill each and every day. That could definitely enter into any decision.

I assume you've never tried either the Specialized FutureShock or Redshift ShockStop stem? :) (A suspension fork only increases the weight. Cheap suspension fork is even not close to either FutureShock or Redshift).
I have been “shocked” by the improvement in tidexand comfort provided by the Redshift Shockstop seat post suspension on our Allants. For the small-ish bumps on paved trails and sidewalks it does a decent job tricking you into believing there is a real suspension under there.

So the point about stem and seatpost suspensions on a fixed frame bike I think is eminently practical. I prefict Redshift gets bought by … a big bike mfr and we see a new type of ebike introduced. Tim

So the point about stem and seatpost suspensions on a fixed frame bike I think is eminently practical. I prefict Redshift gets bought by … a big bike mfr and we see a new type of ebike introduced. Tim
I wonder if Redshift would like to be sold. So far, they serve the whole market with the special focus on gravel bikes (I'm talking about the stems, specifically). The time will show.

I wonder if Redshift would like to be sold. So far, they serve the whole market with the special focus on gravel bikes (I'm talking about the stems, specifically). The time will show.
I'd bet an LBS could have one on the fitting room bike and sell a bunch as dealer installed options 🤔

I ran a little google map calculator and I have about a mile at 8-10% grade to get home every evening. I'm no longer all that athletic and it is enough to give me serious second thoughts about riding to work on my ordinary road bike. I don't mind pedaling, but on cold rainy nights I just want to get home in comfort.

I was leaning towards the regular Vado 5.0 for the more robust rack and possibility of front rack or bag. I have an Ortlieb bag on my other bike but it looks like I would have to reposition the front headlight to put a front back on the Vado SL. On the bigger Vado the light is mounted on the fork crown so out of the way of front bags.

But honestly I think I could be happy with the lighter SL. It seems much more bike-like and fun to ride. And I honestly don't really need to load the thing down all that much. I will get the version with fenders and rack though since this is the Pacific Northwest.

You hit the nail on the head Camasonian - the SL is 'bike-like and fun to ride'! That's a perfect description of the Vado SL and the reason you should get two! :)

I have both the Levo SL and Vado SL. I used a bathroom scale to get approximate weights of each as well as a Tero I recently purchased.

Vado SL EQ medium 39.6 lbs with range extender. Stock except replaced worn oem tires with 28 mm gatorskins which are prob a little lighter than stock.

Levo SL medium 44.2 lbs without range extender

Tero SL large 50.8 lbs

They are all heavy bikes but I can definitely feel the 5/6 lbs difference when lifting or moving them around. OTOH removing the extra couple lbs of the range extender isn't really noticeable to me.

Did a little window shopping today and my LBS had both M and L silver Vado SL's sitting on the floor. Looks really nice in that color and with a clean cockpit too.
Of course the Creo SL with the Di2 shifting looked pretty nice too...

Did a little window shopping today and my LBS had both M and L silver Vado SL's sitting on the floor. Looks really nice in that color and with a clean cockpit too.
Of course the Creo SL with the Di2 shifting looked pretty nice too...
great deals on MY20 creos still!!! you know you want one 😇

So what’s up with the prices on the 2020 Creos? I know where there’s one, actually looked at it today while at the shop picking up some tire patch stuff, but there’s no change to the price tag. I’ve been watching that bike for over a year.

So what’s up with the prices on the 2020 Creos? I know where there’s one, actually looked at it today while at the shop picking up some tire patch stuff, but there’s no change to the price tag. I’ve been watching that bike for over a year.
they’re 25% off if purchased from specialized, and most shops are also honoring that. or you can buy on the website and have it delivered to your shop for assembly and fitting, shop gets 50% of the usual commission without doing much. presumably they’re trying to clear out the older models before they push the 2022 ones into the US. other markets have them already - the only big change is the mastermind TCU, which the new Vados and Tero’s etc have already.

Well, my local Specialized dealer has both the Vado 5.0 EQ and the Vado 5.0 SL EQ in stock now and I have an appointment for an extended test ride of both bikes before making up my mind. I'm honestly leaning towards the Vado 5.0 rather than the SL because if I am honest with myself what I am actually buying is a car-replacement source of commuter transportation that I intend to use for all purposes (including hauling groceries) and in all weather and it seems like the regular Vado is a more versatile urban commuting platform. But I want to try both of them side by side before coming to a final conclusion. I already own a very nice titanium road/cross bike with Ultegra componentry that I use for longer recreational rides, and I have a decent Cannondale mountain bike for trail riding. So I'm not buying an e-bike for recreational use for the most part, but mostly for commuting and errands.

Are there any particular things I should be looking for when I test drive these two bikes?

Are there any particular things I should be looking for when I test drive these two bikes?
I agree that the full-power Vado would probably be best for you if the purpose is commuting and utility usage. Since you have a couple of great recreational bikes, you won't have to be concerned about the Vado's weight, off-road handling, etc. If you test ride both back-to-back, you will definitely feel the difference!

Back