VADO SL 5.0 EQ

Those look lovely bars. And they really look at home on your Cannondale. I only recently came across Denhams Cyclingabout YouTube channel. His knowledge of bikes and touring is immense. Fascinating stuff.

On my analogue bikes I have more swept back bars and high rise stems, but was cautious with the Vado SL as the front light is attached to the stem so I didn't want to change that. I'd like to try the various Jones bars. I saw a very interesting you tube video about how when working for GT years ago he was based in Taiwan for a year and bought a local old fashioned bike with swept bars just to get around and fell in love with the long wheelbase & upright relaxed position. My moment of surprise was a rental Dutch bike in Amsterdam a few years back and just how comfortable it was.

I find this handlebar comparison site very handy:

very cool site, thanks

Hi Kivis. I’m about to go tubeless on my Vado SL 5.0 EQ as well. It doesn’t look like you can go bigger than 38mm with the fenders. What size tires did you install? How are they doing? Thanks.
I think tubeless was a mistake as the tires lose pressure too quickly. The tires are 40mm which fit fine. But all in all it was a great move.

I’ve had to take them off the bike, add an ounce of sealant, and rotate the tires 360° while shaking the sealant so that it thoroughly coats the sidewalls and the rim tape.
This may be the standard procedure, but it should also be noted here that the sealing fluid sometimes splashes around, regardless of whether a leak can be detected immediately or not. That's one of several reasons why tubeless is out of the question for me.

Splashes around? Like inside the tire?
What's so hard to understand here?! As already stated, even if you don't find a leak immediately, the liquid can occur at some point and spray around while driving. Unfortunately that happens again and again and I don't need that! :rolleyes:

What's so hard to understand here?! As already stated, even if you don't find a leak immediately, the liquid can occur at some point and spray around while driving. Unfortunately that happens again and again and I don't need that! :rolleyes:
Strange. Properly seated tubeless tyres will not leak. That's the whole idea: the tyre bead shall be properly seated on the rim, and the bottom of the rim is protected with a tape. Bead seating is achieved by rapid inflating the tyre with a compressor (or from a portable device made for the purpose). Once the bead is clinched on the rim, no leak is possible. Sealant is added for two reasons: to reduce air penetration through the rubber, and to seal punctures.

The only situation during which the sealant would actually spray is a puncture. That is the very idea: to seal the hole.

You probably are doing it wrong @NightRider1; I have ridden the whole season (May 2020 until recently) on tubeless wheels of my Giant Trance E+. The only situation when the sealant squirted was a bad puncture made by a bit of quartzite. And yes, sealant did its work properly.

As already stated, even if you don't find a leak immediately, the liquid can occur at some point and spray around while driving. Unfortunately that happens again and again and I don't need that!
No, sorry. That’s not how tubeless tires work. It does not spray around while driving. That’s willful misinformation. I’m only replying because someone reading this nonsense may believe it. Tubeless tires are sealed. If it’s spraying then it’s going flat due to either a bad install or an overwhelming puncture. You will never, ever ride with a tubeless tire just “spraying or splashing around.” Total and utter hyperbole.

No, sorry. That’s not how tubeless tires work. It does not spray around while driving. That’s willful misinformation. I’m only replying because someone reading this nonsense may believe it. Tubeless tires are sealed. If it’s spraying then it’s going flat due to either a bad install or an overwhelming puncture. You will never, ever ride with a tubeless tire just “spraying or splashing around.” Total and utter hyperbole.
You are completely wrong, this realization does not come from me, it comes from many long-suffering consumers, most of whom have switched back to tubular tires. That's also the reason why I will never accept such a solution. So for me, it's out of the question!

I hear you saying clearly that you have zero direct experience with tubeless. Your statements about sealant splashing around makes perfect sense now. Tubeless isn’t for you, but don’t spray misinformation about.
Your reaction clearly shows that you cannot accept any other opinion! The disadvantages of a tubeless tire have already been experienced by enough other cyclists, which I would rather do without. I don't have to make such experiences just to confirm this crap! 👎

Tubeless? No thanks❗
Cheers!

Back