Hi folks, I'm working on an USB-C adapter that would allow the SL battery to be charged with a USB-C adapter, such as the one used for modern MacBooks. The original Specialized charger is $200 and is bulky. When I ride my bike to work or friend's house, there's a good chance there's already a USB-C adapter lying around so all I'd need to bring is this USB-C adapter. It'll be a thumb sized module that gets the max power the USB-C adapter can deliver, boosts it up to the battery voltage and charge it. This project started for my own Vado SL, but if anyone else is interested, I'd be happy to make some more.
- Which bikes will this be compatible with?
- Vado/Como/Creo/Levo SL with the 54.6V 320Wh battery. A non-SL version may be available if there's enough interest.
- How long will it take to change a completely empty battery?
- The adapter will draw as much power as the USB-C adapter will provide. Using a 96W MacBook USB-C adapter will fill up the battery in about 4.5 hours.
- Which USB-C power adapters are compatible?
- USB-C adapters that support the Power Delivery (PD) standard. If it's rated for 20W or more, it likely supports USB-C PD.
- Can the final charge level be set?
- A WiFi web interface is in the works to allow the user to set the charge voltage. This would be useful when you don't need to charge all the way to 100% in order to extend battery longevity. This is commonly done in electric vehicles.
- Can this charge the range extenders?
- If there's enough interest, I can get a range extender and test it out.
- How much will this cost?
- I'm aiming for under $100, but ultimately depends on the interest.
- When will this be available?
- Likely a few months out.