VADO 5.0 Blocks Replacement

Are you still waiting for your VADO 5.0 Blocks Update to Mission Control?

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Update Completed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ron Friedman

Hi All, I have a VADO 5.0 (original, delivered late DEC 2017) with the retired Blocks system without Mission Control support. I see the upgrade has been available on other (not 5.0) versions. Has anyone had any luck with having their original VADO TURBO 5.0 updated replacing the NEVER FUNCTIONING BLOCKS to allow Mission Control? Thanks for your reply, and if positive, please advise where this was performed. Thanks.

Ron, the Specialized dealer in my area promised replacing BLOKS with the Mission Control compatible TCD-W soon. I will report when it has been done.

Bad news also for you @Ron Friedman.
My Vado 5.0 was diagnosed by the Specialized dealer in Warsaw. They "could not" replace the BLOKS display with the new TCD-W because "the TCD could only be used with the 25 km/h version of the Vado not with the 45 km/h one". In my opinion it is a pure lie and the guys were just incapable to replace the display. They, however, "found and fixed software bugs", that is, installed software updates for the BLOKS.

My Vado works fine now, I can only not use the benefits that TCD displays give such as Mission Control app capabilities.

Ah, that were "Specialized" who told him so. I wonder.

Bad news also for you @Ron Friedman.
My Vado 5.0 was diagnosed by the Specialized dealer in Warsaw. They "could not" replace the BLOKS display with the new TCD-W because "the TCD could only be used with the 25 km/h version of the Vado not with the 45 km/h one". In my opinion it is a pure lie and the guys were just incapable to replace the display. They, however, "found and fixed software bugs", that is, installed software updates for the BLOKS.

My Vado works fine now, I can only not use the benefits that TCD displays give such as Mission Control app capabilities.

Ah, that were "Specialized" who told him so. I wonder.
Ok, I’m guessing here.
Is your 5.0 the model with the rigid fork? If so then your motor is probably the 1.2S ( or Brose TF)
Could the motor version ( and its software) be the limiting factor?

Last edited:
Yes, it is, affirmative for both.
Oh, well, maybe it is the motor. Anyway, updating software made the bike far more pleasant now :)

I have got an authoritative answer from Specialized B.V., the European distributor of Specialized.

Specialized have not got the EU Certificate of Conformity for 45 km/h Turbo Vados (5.0, 6.0) equipped with TCD-w display yet. Since S-Pedelec is a moped by law, the Certificate of Conformity is the must. 25 km/h (or 20 mph for the States) Vados actually get the replacement with TCD-w.

The distributor wrote that "sooner or later" the owners of Turbo Vado 5.0 and 6.0 will get the replacement "as soon as the part gets the certification".

@Ron Friedman, @PaD, you were interested to know.

I was told today by my LBS that they ordered the TCD-w upgrade for my BLOK Turbo Vado 5.0 2019 at no charge to me. I complained that I couldn't connect to Mission Control App as suggested per staff at the shop. Now I'm kind of nervous because I'm hearing stories about motor assistance cutting out and errors. I have had zero issues with motor or battery. And I like that I can remove the display and tune my motor via Turbo Vado/Como Tune. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. U.S.A. Class 3 28mph.

The motor of the user who reported those issues turned out to be faulty and it will be replaced.

Well, having the TCD-W would have you updated and I hope the display really gives you the information such as your wattage or number of miles left on the battery.

On the other hand, the BLOKS is removable. Has your LBS updated the software for the BLOKS in your Vado? The issue of BLOKS is it might hang up at the least expected moment.

Hard decision, really.

The motor of the user who reported those issues turned out to be faulty and it will be replaced.

Well, having the TCD-W would have you updated and I hope the display really gives you the information such as your wattage or number of miles left on the battery.

On the other hand, the BLOKS is removable. Has your LBS updated the software for the BLOKS in your Vado? The issue of BLOKS is it might hang up at the least expected moment.

Hard decision, really.
I've already grown attached to my BLOKS. I have no issues whatsoever. Plus the 💎 is adequate for my needs. I had an update last week. But honestly, I couldn't tell the difference. What I didn't like was hitting 24mph on flats with hardly any effort in ECO mode. The 💎 fixed that. My range increased exponentially. 15 miles traveled with only 13% depleted fighting the wind. I could hardly believe it was still showing full bars. Yes it is a tough decision. The knowable vs.the unknown. I'll be upset if the upgrade brings me the Blues.

"What works, works" :)
I wrote my Specialized LBS I don't want the upgrade to the TCD-W anymore. (The Vado/Como Tune is good and I wonder why Specialized didn't make that app available; that would save them all the cost to upgrade from the BLOKS).

(The Vado/Como Tune is good and I wonder why Specialized didn't make that app available; that would save them all the cost to upgrade from the BLOKS).
The Turbo Vado & Como Tune App development by BLOKS stopped when BLOKS filed for insolvency. Licence problems prevented the parallel Apple-based App, no further support of the Apps could be provided. So it is quite clear why this App wasn't made available to end consumers officially.

Back