Vado 4.0 vs 5.0

MaxHacker

Region
USA
Hey guys it's me again. Some of you may remember my thread from a few weeks ago. Any way the place I ordered the Vado SL from didn't have it in stock so I canceled my order. In the meantime I test rode the full power Vado 4.0 and man was it a different experience than the Vado SL. So much more powerful and more comfortable. So now I'm dancing between getting the full power vado or the SL. And if I go full power should I get the 4.0 or 5.0? Ahh decisions.

So a little bit about me. I'm in my late 20s and I live in Minnesota. I'm in pretty good shape and we generally don't have any steep hills here but some of them can be quite long. Also I won't be using the bike for commuting. It's just something for fun and trying to stay fit. I'm looking for something I can use to get exercise with and then transition to something that I can ride with little effort and enjoy nature around me without being out of breath or having to work too hard.

My questions are.

1. Given that I don't have any steep hills will the extra power of the Vado 5.0 be noticeable over the 4.0?

2. Is there any other major noticeable advantages the 5.0 has over the 4.0 that I'll regret if I go for the 4.0.

3. Is the extra $1000 for the 5.0 mostly a waste of money if not using it for climbing steep hills?

4. I've test ridden the Vado SL twice. While there was a lot to like about it my butt hurt for days after just the short test drive since the saddle was sooo uncomfortable. Saddle upgrades would be mandatory before i could take it on any significant ride. So my question is if I still decide to go for the SL is it possible to make it as comfortable as the full power Vado for just leisure slow pace riding?

1. Given that I don't have any steep hills will the extra power of the Vado 5.0 be noticeable over the 4.0?
No steep hills? The Vado 4.0 motor is pretty strong on the flat!

2. Is there any other major noticeable advantages the 5.0 has over the 4.0 that I'll regret if I go for the 4.0.
The only really better thing in the 5.0 are better brakes. Again: no steep hills? No worries about the 4.0.

3. Is the extra $1000 for the 5.0 mostly a waste of money if not using it for climbing steep hills?
No big hills? No need for Vado 5.0!

4. I've test ridden the Vado SL twice. While there was a lot to like about it my butt hurt for days after just the short test drive since the saddle was sooo uncomfortable. Saddle upgrades would be mandatory before i could take it on any significant ride. So my question is if I still decide to go for the SL is it possible to make it as comfortable as the full power Vado for just leisure slow pace riding?
That is all down what riding position you can assume on Vado SL (you could take a size bigger e-bike for more reach and more sporty position). The Bridge Sport (the stock saddle for Vado SL) has turned out the most comfortable for me since I "taught" my e-bike I wanted to ride in a forward position!

Welp. Im the proud owner of a brand new Turbo Vado 4.0. Such a blast to ride!
IMAG4257.jpg

Congratulations! Many happy miles!
Please share your experiences after you have ridden some on your Vado!

Nice ride! I tried the SL and normal Vado and glad I did as I much preferred the normal Vado to the SL. Just waiting for my 2022 Turbo Vado 5.0 in black to be delivered!

I am changing the saddle, pedals and grips on mine when it gets here.

Congratulations Colin!
I am changing the saddle, pedals and grips on mine when it gets here.
I really wonder why... (Pedals is the understandable thing but why replace a good saddle and excellent grips?)

Congratulations Colin!

I really wonder why... (Pedals is the understandable thing but why replace a good saddle and excellent grips?)
I found the standard grips too slim for my large hands, so I opted for some larger Ergons.

The saddle is a personal thing; for the last 30 years I have always used Brooks saddles and will not change as they are so comfortable and add a touch of class to the bike.

I found the standard grips too slim for my large hands, so I opted for some larger Ergons.

The saddle is a personal thing; for the last 30 years I have always used Brooks saddles and will not change as they are so comfortable and add a touch of class to the bike.
You seem to be aware what you really want!

If you have saddle that works for you best keep it. We did when my wife and I changed bikes.

Hey guys it's me again. Some of you may remember my thread from a few weeks ago. Any way the place I ordered the Vado SL from didn't have it in stock so I canceled my order. In the meantime I test rode the full power Vado 4.0 and man was it a different experience than the Vado SL. So much more powerful and more comfortable. So now I'm dancing between getting the full power vado or the SL. And if I go full power should I get the 4.0 or 5.0? Ahh decisions.

So a little bit about me. I'm in my late 20s and I live in Minnesota. I'm in pretty good shape and we generally don't have any steep hills here but some of them can be quite long. Also I won't be using the bike for commuting. It's just something for fun and trying to stay fit. I'm looking for something I can use to get exercise with and then transition to something that I can ride with little effort and enjoy nature around me without being out of breath or having to work too hard.

My questions are.

I had a Vado 4 as my first E-bike and loved it. Loved it so much I wanted to upgrade to an IGH and a belt last year. Unfortunately the 4 last year didn't have a belt option so it was the lower bike (a 3 or the Como?) or the Vado 5 as options. The 5 was nice but quite expensive. The main thing that dissuaded me for the 5 was the automatic electronic shifting. That is a step too far for me. Instead I went with a Gazelle Ultimate 380+ and love it. I think I shared my experience and comparison on here somewhere but I also have it in a blog here: https://volcano.newts.org/2022/07/18/specialized-vado-4-vs-gazelle-ultimate-380/

Yeah! I've been enjoying it! I've ridden about 150miles so far. I've been wanting to write about my experiences so far but haven't had the time yet to sit down and write an extensive review yet.
Thank you if you do! It's nice to have a happy Vado co-rider!

Back