Using the Gain 2020 computer

Williwheels

I have been on the bike now for about a month and 500 miles. No complaints other than the 20mph assist limit. The 2020 comes with a bar mounted computer that provides the usual trip info plus a battery charge % and most importantly a button to change the assist level from 0 to 3 without taking your hands off the bars. The documentation for the computer is scant. I solved the problem with an email to the factory. They responded with a very detailed operation and installation manual by return email within 24 hours. Very good service

Hi thanks for your post about the display on the M series Orbea Gain. There is extremely limited info available anywhere. On Friday I ordered a D30 through my LBS and saw the “OC monochrome ANT+ LEV” as a $129 option but with no info I was at a loss about what to do. There is very little info overall about the Ebikemotion X35 2020 except that the battery is “ANT+ LEV” but Ebikemotion.com says no Garmin connectivity “yet”. Have a few questions if you don’t mind:
1. Is the display wired or portable (wondering if I could order later and use without a major overhaul of the bike).
2. It allows down as well as up assistance level switching e.g. level 1 to level 0?
3. Does it work well for you?
Thanks,
Pete

1. The device is wireless and portable. On the M20 there is a mount coming from the handlebar stem. It's Garmin compatible. Any Garmin mount would work.
2. You can turn the assistance level up and down to levels 0 1 2 &3.
3. I think it's worth it. It displays the current trip time, trip distance, battery level (percentage) and current assistance level. It's certainly easier to change assistance than the button

Not sure what you mean by no Garmin connectivity. I have a Gain D30 that I purchased in February. My Garmin Explore will pair with the Ebikemotion X35 via Bluetooth. The ebike data screen on the Garmin shows me battery level and gives me the ability to change assist level up or down plus any other data I want to track. According to Garmin website it is only to pair with Shimano motors, but will work with others.

That news about Garmin is very good indeed as I already use a Garmin (530). I turned down a closeout discount on a 2019 Gain because in 2020 they added ANT+ LEV and I haven’t until now heard or read anyone actually say it is definitely compatible and controllable with Garmin. The ebikemotion.com website FAQ needs to be updated.
Thanks for the info.

I have been on the bike now for about a month and 500 miles. No complaints other than the 20mph assist limit. The 2020 comes with a bar mounted computer that provides the usual trip info plus a battery charge % and most importantly a button to change the assist level from 0 to 3 without taking your hands off the bars. The documentation for the computer is scant. I solved the problem with an email to the factory. They responded with a very detailed operation and installation manual by return email within 24 hours. Very good service

Is there anyway for you to post that manual for the computer?

So I found an illustrated manual online. The computer is an O-Synce Coachsmart. You need to get the app for it in the App Store to use it to its full potential. If you chose not to you can still see speed in Km/hr, bikes battery% and change levels of assist 0-3 in any direction. What I’m finding disappointing is that even tho the motor runs on cadence sensing magnets, the bike doesn’t have a built in cadence sensor. You can use ant to connect all kinds of sensors to the computer via the app but of course you have to buy them first.

Not sure what you mean by no Garmin connectivity. I have a Gain D30 that I purchased in February. My Garmin Explore will pair with the Ebikemotion X35 via Bluetooth. The ebike data screen on the Garmin shows me battery level and gives me the ability to change assist level up or down plus any other data I want to track. According to Garmin website it is only to pair with Shimano motors, but will work with others.
Will that work on a Garmin forerunner 235 also? 2019 gains also?

Pretty sure not on 2019 Gains, I tried linking my Garmin Explore and it wouldn't work (I have 2019 m30). Now that 2020s have ANT+ it looks like they work.
A friend has a 2019 D31 and it works with his Ebikemotion phone app only. I have a 2020 D30 and mine works with either my phone app or my Garmin 830. As for a Forerunner does it have an Add Sensor feature that includes EBikes? Garmin support may help on that if unknown. If yes, it seems like it would work with a 2020.

A friend has a 2019 D31 and it works with his Ebikemotion phone app only. I have a 2020 D30 and mine works with either my phone app or my Garmin 830. As for a Forerunner does it have an Add Sensor feature that includes EBikes? Garmin support may help on that if unknown. If yes, it seems like it would work with a 2020.
I don't think it does, but I will look into it

First post here, just got a 2019 Gain M20 on a closeout deal. Love the bike, but have a similar question on whether a computer can be connected to control the assist up or down. The answer is no. Here is the response I got from an email to Orbea:

The 2020 Gain models do have the ability to connect to a computer head through ANT+. 2019 models are not able to do this. Bluetooth on the 2019 models allow a rider to connect to their smartphone and use the Ebikemotion User App. No item has yet been approved, made available, or announced to upgrade 2019 models to this capability. Your local dealer, and our website, are good resources to check to see if such an item becomes available.

Has anyone already paired a 2020 Gain with a Wahoo Roam? I have Garmin Explorer now but need to upgrade to either Garmin 530 or the Wahoo so I can use Di2 to control it.

First post here, just got a 2019 Gain M20 on a closeout deal. Love the bike, but have a similar question on whether a computer can be connected to control the assist up or down. The answer is no. Here is the response I got from an email to Orbea:

The 2020 Gain models do have the ability to connect to a computer head through ANT+. 2019 models are not able to do this. Bluetooth on the 2019 models allow a rider to connect to their smartphone and use the Ebikemotion User App. No item has yet been approved, made available, or announced to upgrade 2019 models to this capability. Your local dealer, and our website, are good resources to check to see if such an item becomes available.
Actually Orbea is wrong about this because you officially can retrofit ant+ compatibility to 2019 ebikemotion equipped models by installing this dongle.
You can find the installation manual here.

For the alloy Gain models with flatbar there also is a new iWoc trio with ant+ compatibility available.

Actually Orbea is wrong about this because you officially can retrofit ant+ compatibility to 2019 ebikemotion equipped models by installing this dongle.
You can find the installation manual here.

For the alloy Gain models with flatbar there also is a new iWoc trio with ant+ compatibility available.

Hi, did you manage to add the Wilier dongle to a gain and operate the LEV connection successfully? Any details would be appreciated as I am also interested to connect and operate such a dongle. Thanks,

Back