Using Aventon batteries on other e-bikes

OldK

Region
USA
City
Minneapolis
Hey all, new here. I've been finding useful Google results here repeatedly when I research some things I'd like to do… but I haven't seen this question answered anywhere, and maybe some of you can help with this.

I've got an Aventure.2 with two batteries, and I recently watched a video that demonstrates how to use a non-Aventon battery on that bike as a secondary, using an adapter between Aventon's connector and an XT60. What I'm wondering is, if I got my hands on a different 48V e-bike that normally uses those XT60-connected batteries, would I be able to do the reverse, and connect the Aventure battery to that bike, using the same or similar adapters? I've seen those batteries referred to as "smart batteries", and I'm wondering: is that just about the charging (I have plenty of Aventon chargers and I'm not worried about that aspect)? Or does the "smartness" also keep it from delivering power to a different bike's controller and motor?

I'm not wedded to either of these, but just for illustration purposes, assume I'm talking about a 500W Bafang 48V hub motor and a Hailong 48V battery as the base of the other bike system I'd be trying to connect the Aventon battery to.

As long as the voltage and polarity are correct on the XT60 connector, It should work. Give it a try. It isn't likely you will damage anything. The only hassle I see is how to mount the Aventon battery on the second bike.

As long as the voltage and polarity are correct on the XT60 connector, It should work. Give it a try. It isn't likely you will damage anything. The only hassle I see is how to mount the Aventon battery on the second bike.
Thanks. I'm doing that 2-battery upgrade on the Aventon this week and it will take a while before I get around to trying to get another one working, but I'll report back when I've tried it.

Some comments on the video.

I've mounted a few Hailong batteries on my DIY bikes. The battery he uses has a notoriously flimsy cradle. It's only held by the two screws in the front slot. When I have used this cradle, I put a third screw in the bottom half. In this case, it would have to match one of the two water bottle screws he is using for his mounting plate,

These are 6-8 pound batteries and I don't trust two 5mm water bottle screws to hold them over the long term. On my bikes with tubular frames, it's easy to add a third or a fourth attach point with frame clamps made for that purpose, or even hose clamps,

I don't know how I would approach this on your Aventon, I'd probably put the battery on the rear rack, The aesthetics of his approach appall me anyway.

As for using the Aventon pack on another bike, it's always about how to mount it.. Strapping it to the rear rack is kind of ugly, It's your call.
I usually stuff shorter batteries into battery bags, sold for that purpose.

Edit: The electrical part of the video is well thought out, Just the mechanical attachment of the second pack troubles me,

Last edited:
Grin makes several products for mounting batteries. They also have a video with tips on how to do it:

I use their "Bottle Bob" in addition to the 2 cage bosses to mount a 10# DB9C battery:

BottleBob.jpg
IMG_1207a.jpg
IMG_1206a.jpg

Very solid. It hasn't shifted at all in 4 seasons of riding some pretty rough trails.

In addition to 2 screws on the water bottle bosses I also use silicon chaulk to glue the battery cradle to the down tube. It's been working well for me.

Some comments on the video.

I've mounted a few Hailong batteries on my DIY bikes. The battery he uses has a notoriously flimsy cradle. It's only held by the two screws in the front slot. When I have used this cradle, I put a third screw in the bottom half. In this case, it would have to match one of the two water bottle screws he is using for his mounting plate,

These are 6-8 pound batteries and I don't trust two 5mm water bottle screws to hold them over the long term. On my bikes with tubular frames, it's easy to add a third or a fourth attach point with frame clamps made for that purpose, or even hose clamps,

I don't know how I would approach this on your Aventon, I'd probably put the battery on the rear rack, The aesthetics of his approach appall me anyway.

As for using the Aventon pack on another bike, it's always about how to mount it.. Strapping it to the rear rack is kind of ugly, It's your call.
I usually stuff shorter batteries into battery bags, sold for that purpose.

Edit: The electrical part of the video is well thought out, Just the mechanical attachment of the second pack troubles me,
I haven't actually mounted it yet, but the Hailong triangle battery I have seems like it will fit decently in the strangely-shaped front "triangle" of the Aventure.2 with the water cage removed. Due to the curve of the top tube (which I'll attach all 3 straps to), there will be a larger gap between the bottom corner of the battery and the down tube, and the bottom strap may not be close enough to tighten well. I may want to shim that side of the bag? And/or possibly screw something into one of the water cage mount holes to help hold up the opposite corner. Not sure if those straps are ever ideal for holding up the mass of a 20Ah battery over the long term, but I was going to cross that bridge when I come to it. The idea would really be that I'd only need the triangle battery for at most 6 or 8 70+ mile rides a year, and it wouldn't be mounted at all when I'm commuting or taking shorter rides.

Attachments

• 712VeRQ8jfL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    712VeRQ8jfL._AC_SX679_.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 23
Back