Used Jetson

Telemachus

I am planning on picking up a Jetson Scooter tomorrow from someone off Craigslist. They claim it is Gently used in good condition, that it charges fine, and has good range.

$600 is the price I talked him down to.

At that price, even if I have to rebuild a battery from scratch, I think I am in good shape.

Any suggestions on what to look for when I test drive it?

Thanks!

2 weeks in. Scooter is fun, but a warning to anybody considering a Jetson scooter.

My battery is essentially worthless about 5-6 miles into a ride. In my testing, the BMS on the lithium power pack is set at 2.75 volts per module for low voltage cutoff. I have verified this with Andrew in customer service. With a low voltage cutoff set so low, the batteries are doomed to die prematurely.

Jetson charges $800 for a new lithium battery! Mine came with 91 X 22650 2500mah li-ion cells. These cells are impossible to find any more, so repair options are limited when your BMS begins to kill the battery.

Unless they can provide a better BMS and some newer (more efficient) 18650 cells, I would NOT recommend buying a Jetson unless you are getting a price good enough that you don't mind spending $300 to $400 to rebuild your own battery.

To be fair, I bought a used bike, and I really have no idea how old it is. Perhaps they are using better cells now, but Andrew still claims that their lvc is set at 2.75 volts on current models.

Back