US Sourced MAC or EZEE motor

INSJBLM

Region
USA
Is there a US-based option to purchase either of these motors that is not GRIN? GRIN in Canada is too expensive, and I'm not interested in Regen. Also, how do these motors compare?

For mac, no, except for occasional defective motors on ebay. I bought a mac8t rear geared hub last summer off ebay. What was wrong with it, the threads at the end of the axle were cross-threaded. Easily correctable with a triangle file. Since it was a rear motor, I bought it for the clutch to repair my 2019 mac12t front hub, which was incredibly competent at climbiing the hills around here until rain destroyed the wire harness & controller 7/2021. DO NOT ever buy an ASI controller, they are suitable only for riding in deserts where it never rains. Took me 2 years to figure out how to disassemble the Mac12t and replace the harness from the circuit board out. The clutch had been changed between 2019 and the rear motor, so I was not able to salvage the one from the 8t for the 12t. Clutch would slip about 1/3 of the time with an ebikeling 1300w controller. My new 2000 w controller adds power gradually, so it is not as useful for crossing a 6 lane highway at a light that never turns green for bicycles. But it does not make the clutch slip.
Bing can find a mac hubmotor listing on alibaba, but the minimum buy is 8, so I have not seen fit to donate my birthdate and debit card # to the land of hackers & counterfeiters. 48 v 1000 w Mac12t is the best motor I have found for powering up 15% hills around here with 70 lb groceries or ag chemicals on my cargo bike. Being bigger in diameter than a 140 mm brake disk and having an offset that requires grinding down the brake caliper to engage are reasons perhaps no US dealer will stock it. Beside 1000 w being illegal on road in 41 states and people in mountainous states overusing the abundant power and burning up the windings. Southern. Indiana hills are rollers, about 100' long max. I cross 77 of them on the way to my summer camp, perfectly reliably. Except for a wimpy 350 w bafang motor that I burned the winding powering at 48 v instead of nominal 36. .

Last edited:
For mac, no, except for occasional defective motors on ebay. I bought a mac8t rear geared hub last summer off ebay. What was wrong with it, the threads at the end of the axle were cross-threaded. Easily correctable with a triangle file. Since it was a rear motor, I bought it for the clutch to repair my 2019 mac12t front hub, which was incredibly competent at climbiing the hills around here until rain destroyed the wire harness & controller 7/2021. DO NOT ever buy an ASI controller, they are suitable only for riding in deserts where it never rains. Took me 2 years to figure out how to disassemble the Mac12t and replace the harness from the circuit board out. The clutch had been changed between 2019 and the rear motor, so I was not able to salvage the one from the 8t for the 12t. Clutch would slip about 1/3 of the time with an ebikeling 1300w controller. My new 2000 w controller adds power gradually, so it is not as useful for crossing a 6 lane highway at a light that never turns green for bicycles. But it does not make the clutch slip.
Bing can find a mac hubmotor listing on alibaba, but the minimum buy is 8, so I have not seen fit to donate my birthdate and debit card # to the land of hackers & counterfeiters. 48 v 1000 w Mac12t is the best motor I have found for powering up 15% hills around here with 70 lb groceries or ag chemicals on my cargo bike. Being bigger in diameter than a 140 mm brake disk and having an offset that requires grinding down the brake caliper to engage are reasons perhaps no US dealer will stock it. Beside 1000 w being illegal on road in 41 states and people in mountainous states overusing the abundant power and burning up the windings. Southern. Indiana hills are rollers, about 100' long max. I cross 77 of them on the way to my summer camp, perfectly reliably. Except for a wimpy 350 w bafang motor that I burned the winding powering at 48 v instead of nominal 36. .
Thanks for the heads up!

Well, it's nice to own motors that has been quantified for Grins simulator like the Ezee and Mac. Grins simulator will tell you exactly how they compare. I suppose the attraction of Grin's product is that you can model your model for extreme situations and compute performance. You'll know how how steep a hill you can climb and how many minutes before the motor melts.

If your performance needs are modest, then many hub motors will probably run your bike fine.

Well, it's nice to own motors that has been quantified for Grins simulator like the Ezee and Mac. Grins simulator will tell you exactly how they compare. I suppose the attraction of Grin's product is that you can model your model for extreme situations and compute performance. You'll know how how steep a hill you can climb and how many minutes before the motor melts.

If your performance needs are modest, then many hub motors will probably run your bike fine.

Hello,

I too am a fan of Grin, but for this build, Grin would not be a good alternative. I purchased a ready-to-ride kit from Grin, which is a kit that is pre-programmed and should be plug-and-play onto a bike. In this case, I ran into two different recalls on both the controller and the motor. Grin was not able to figure out whether or not it was a software or hardware issue after 5 months of back-and-forth communication. They received the motor and the controller, tried to repair and reprogram them, and sent them back out, but they still did not work.

Despite all of that, I am still a fan of Grin, but they need to work out the issues they are having with V6 Phase Runners.

Thank you,

Back