Urban Plus Prices

Why is the Urban Plus priced so radically different. Haibike has it for $3599, while other sites have it for $1699. Does this bike have a major flaw that is being hidden? If the year is different, the specs are the same...what gives?

Thanks for the reply and reference. But it did not answer my question. What's needed is a side by side comparison of the 2017/2018 Urban Plus. There's no free lunch. There's a serious 2000 dollar problem with this bike, I just want to know exactly what it is. Some say it's COBI, some say it's the motor, communications problems, Bluetooth errors etc.. No one wants to go through the hassle of returning a bike, especially if you aren't sure they would accept it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and reference. But it did not answer my question. What's needed is a side by side comparison of the 2017/2018 Urban Plus. There's no free lunch. There's a serious 2000 dollar problem with this bike, I just want to know exactly what it is. Some say it's COBI, some say it's the motor, communications problems, Bluetooth errors etc.. No one wants to go through the hassle of returning a bike, especially if you aren't sure they would accept it.
Ok, glad you volunteered to do the comparison. Looking forward to your analysis

Why is the Urban Plus priced so radically different. Haibike has it for $3599, while other sites have it for $1699. Does this bike have a major flaw that is being hidden? If the year is different, the specs are the same...what gives?

Not sure if you saw this thread regarding Urban S discussion. There actually was one rider that did purchase the bike and then returned it due to COBI issues on the forum. I also think Ravi points out some valid claims as well.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radcity-vs-haibike-urban-plus.16042/page-4#post-136989

Last edited:
Thanks bob for the link, lots to think about. Very informative.

Sure richie-So many people are a bit confused about this bike's reliability. Do you purchase a bike with TransX motor and COBI interface, or do we wait and see if Haibike gives us a heads up regarding COBI phones and Bluetooth compatibility. If your current Android or Iphone is not compatible, apparently you will have to upgrade your phone to make COBI work properly. Perhaps the older phones may not work well with this system. Good Luck.

I keep getting ads for this bike at $1700 but I won't consider it until Haibike does a 2017/2018 side by side comparison and explains the $2000 difference.

From what my local dealer says, there is no difference for 2018. Its simply a carry-over. Low sales at the original MSRP and oversupply lead to the 50% price drop. They need to clear them out.
Someone else's words, not mine. I'd be inclined to think "why not just sell them as 2018s?"
I was going to buy one, but ended up with a Stromer ST1 2016 leftover for a similar price. That year ST1 has a very simple LCD display and I would much prefer the COBI, and one of my worries about the Urban Plus, was that the COBI system could be an issue.
If you haven't found my thread on my purchase process, its here: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/radcity-vs-haibike-urban-plus.16042/ I test rode the Haibike a couple times.

With the disclaimer that Haibike has on their warranty, I would only buy one with a local dealer support, which meant an 8% price increase for sales tax, too.

If there was a way to test ride a Juiced CCS nearby, I would have been happy to compare that vs the Urban Plus, but that wasn't possible. Similar price point, one with lower end components and more power, the other with a more "German fit-and-finish." It would be like an American hot-rod or sports car vs a German GT car - but for bikes. Would have been a fun comparison.

Thanks surfstar for the insight and info. I'm torn between the Stromer and Urban Plus, but the COBI setup I think is the way to go. Since I'm not in a hurry I'll wait and see how this all plays out.

I actually just bought one, and I am picking it up on Thursday. In the next week or so I will test it a lot and then try to get back to this forum. A side by side comparison would not help me since those are only words. My question was why the big price drop? I called 5 different small bike shops and got the same answer from all of them, the big price drop is direct from the Haibike .. and that's the price they have been told to sell them all off at. One bike shop owner told me since they can't make any money nobody wants to sell them or list them on their website and or even attempt to sell them. One thing they all did agree on it was an amazing deal, and as far as they know there is nothing wrong with the bike.

I actually just bought one, and I am picking it up on Thursday. In the next week or so I will test it a lot and then try to get back to this forum. A side by side comparison would not help me since those are only words. My question was why the big price drop? I called 5 different small bike shops and got the same answer from all of them, the big price drop is direct from the Haibike .. and that's the price they have been told to sell them all off at. One bike shop owner told me since they can't make any money nobody wants to sell them or list them on their website and or even attempt to sell them. One thing they all did agree on it was an amazing deal, and as far as they know there is nothing wrong with the bike.

Thanks for the info woody.

Back