Upright body position e-bikes with throttle that can also go 28mph in pedal assist?

alicecat

Basically I'm looking for what the title says. I like bikes with an upright body position (handlebars high enough / seat low enough that you don't have to lean over) but not a cruiser style. The throttle should be capped at 20mph to stay in compliance with the law. Does anyone have suggestions?

Another important factor for me is the looks/style, I would like the shape to be the classic diamond or step through type. Price range would around 2-4k ideally. Top contenders I'm considering that don't quite match:

Magnum Metro - This is my favorite so far, but all the reviews I've found and also my test rides in local bike shop have shown it to only really be able to go up to ~23mph even when set to max pedal assist.

CrossCurrent X - Seems to have good speed and specs but has a forward body position, and I'm hesitant to buy a bike that I can't test ride / is available online only.

So I thought I'd post here to see if anyone has seen any that I missed.

If anyone is thinking, why don't you just get a motorbike/scooter? - this is something I have considered as well, but the support for them in my city is poor as they are much less common than bicycles, and I don't have anywhere to park one at the moment.

Basically I'm looking for what the title says. I like bikes with an upright body position (handlebars high enough / seat low enough that you don't have to lean over) but not a cruiser style. The throttle should be capped at 20mph to stay in compliance with the law. Does anyone have suggestions?

Another important factor for me is the looks/style, I would like the shape to be the classic diamond or step through type. Price range would around 2-4k ideally. Top contenders I'm considering that don't quite match:

Magnum Metro - This is my favorite so far, but all the reviews I've found and also my test rides in local bike shop have shown it to only really be able to go up to ~23mph even when set to max pedal assist.

CrossCurrent X - Seems to have good speed and specs but has a forward body position, and I'm hesitant to buy a bike that I can't test ride / is available online only.

If anyone is thinking, why don't you just get a motorbike/scooter? - this is something I have considered as well, but the support for them in my city is poor as they are much less common than bicycles, and I don't have anywhere to park one at the moment.

Changing from forward position to upright is easy for me. I have been doing that to 4 of my ebikes already. First check the bicycle that you already have, and that has the comfortable position that you are already used to. Take note of the distance from the seat to the handle bar grip. Take note also on the vertical rise from the seat height and the handle grip height.

Now use those measurements as your reference to change your ebike's fit. The CCX has a straight handlebar. You can change it to a classical shape with a back sweep.

1538784205949.png

If the reach is still too far for your comfort, you can change your stem to a shorter one.

1538784270944.png

And if the handle bar height is too low, you can use a stem riser.

1538784346164.png

You can do all these things for less than 50 dollars. Good luck.

Oh hmm I didn’t know there are stem risers for handlebars. That’s definitely useful to know and consider. Thanks!

Have you ridden an Ebike at 28mph? At that speed, aerodynamics strongly come into play. Sitting upright is just going to add to the load on the motor and depending on gearing, it may not be possible on some combinations. Upright is also not the most efficient pedaling position. It will take stronger legs to maintain the speed in an upright position. 20-22mph is not a challenge, 28 is a big step.

I am aware it is more difficult for the motor. So what I am looking for may be impossible, and if so that’s fine, I can accept that. Just thought I would ask if anyone knows any. Bikes with a stronger motor, maybe, for instance.

Have you ridden an Ebike at 28mph? At that speed, aerodynamics strongly come into play. Sitting upright is just going to add to the load on the motor and depending on gearing, it may not be possible on some combinations. Upright is also not the most efficient pedaling position. It will take stronger legs to maintain the speed in an upright position. 20-22mph is not a challenge, 28 is a big step.

After changing to a more comfortable upright position, I added an aero bar extension so I can still assume a tucked in position at high speeds.

1538787031340.png

I am aware it is more difficult for the motor. So what I am looking for may be impossible, and if so that’s fine, I can accept that. Just thought I would ask if anyone knows any. Bikes with a stronger motor, maybe, for instance.
You'll need more motor and battery. Cruising at 28mph really takes the energy. Yours and the battery's.

You'll need more motor and battery. Cruising at 28mph really takes the energy. Yours and the battery's.

Above 24 mph I have to go back to an aggressive riding position (hence, the aero bar extensions), however, majority of the time (more than 95% of the time) my speed is below 24 mph and I don't see any point of sacrificing my riding comfort.

Above 24 mph I have to go back to an aggressive riding position (hence, the aero bar extensions), however, majority of the time (more than 95% of the time) my speed is below 24 mph and I don't see any point of sacrificing my riding comfort.
I like the idea, but I think I'd need some thick forearm pads for comfort.

I like the idea, but I think I'd need some thick forearm pads for comfort.

That was my initial thought but when I started using it I realized didn't need it after all. The semi longitudinal grip position is stable enough as well as comfortable enough to support my upper body weight and prevents my forearm from heavily resting on the handle bar.

Last edited:
An adjustable stem, such as comes with the Rad City, allows almost infinite positions, combined with rotation of the handlebars. So far, I've tried quite a few...then added drop bar ends for even more possibilities.
IMG_20180923_165314.jpg

Hi Alicecat...I know you wrote this a long while ago.. but I was wondering...what bike did you finally get? My wish/requirements for an ebike are very much like what you described. Thanks!!

Back