Upgrading a Charger 3 (and display)

MNT

Region
United Kingdom
Hello. I am new to these forums and relatively new to e-bikes. At 54, I thought it time and the draw of the Bosch system and then the beauty of the R&M machines was enough. I have had the bike for 12 months, and clocked up 1500 miles against a demanding work from home job, new baby (at my age!) and some lockdown complications. I am proud of that number however! I also have some questions:

1. I love the Charger, but can't help thinking I should have bought a Homage. I may think about upgrading; have others done this and is it worth it? I mostly ride on roads, simple forest tracks and abandoned railway lines. I fancy the comfort, the step through on ageing hips, and the added bells and whistles.

2. How re-sellable are Chargers in great condition, typically?

3. I have an Intuvio display; I would like to upgrade this anyway, perhaps to the Smart phone hub. Can this be done retrospectively?

4. Is HS worth it? Do anyof the add-ons which claim to disarm the speed limiters work?

Thanks, muchly

MNT

How re-sellable are Chargers in great condition, typically?
Welcome to the EBR Forum, MNT.

I'll make a starting bid for your Charger (to get the conversation going; not to buy it!): two-thirds of its current price. The buyer will want a good deal and will probably be aware that the bike will come without a transferable warranty.

Maybe, talk to your R&M dealer.

David

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m glad that you like the R&M bikes. I can’t comment on whether you should change, but I have the Nevo3 GT Vario GX model. This has the step through and as an unfit, but getting fitter 61 year old, I find this to be a great bonus.

Mine came with the Nyon display, whereas, my previous bike, a Raleigh Motus GT had the Intuvio display. When I got mine, I talked about the SPH with the dealer as an option and he advised that they don’t sell many of these. I have found the Nyon to be excellent, not only for the GPS when you add the maps, but for the display options that you have. A very good upgrade against the Intuvio.

If you wish to upgrade, speak to your dealer about PX, but also consider the Nevo3 as well as the Homage as their other step through. If you find the hardtail, with the Thudbuster to be comfortable, do you need a full rear suspension. On that point, you can change the inner elastomer on these to fine tune them to your weight range. The one that comes as fitted is Medium and I changed mine to a firm, which is suitable for my weight range and made an improvement to the ride, as there was less bounce.

3. I have an Intuvio display; I would like to upgrade this anyway, perhaps to the Smart phone hub. Can this be done retrospectively?

4. Is HS worth it? Do anyof the add-ons which claim to disarm the speed limiters work?
The SmartphoneHub will work so long as your bike isn't Rohloff.

Speedhakcing your drive unit to disarm the speed-cap will void your warranty and potentially brick your drive unit if the system detects tampering when it's hooked up the diagnostic tool.

I’m a big fan of the high speed option - you don’t HAVE to ride at that speed but when clear and safe to do so, it’s a wonderful thing especially if you use this bike for commuting or short dashes to the shop as a car replacement.

I rarely go over 40kph as cadence requirements are a bit on the high side with my Enviolo, but I routinely sit in mid 30’s and often think how much “slower” I would be if I was sitting in mid 20’s instead (km not miles)

Hello. I am new to these forums and relatively new to e-bikes. At 54, I thought it time and the draw of the Bosch system and then the beauty of the R&M machines was enough. I have had the bike for 12 months, and clocked up 1500 miles against a demanding work from home job, new baby (at my age!) and some lockdown complications. I am proud of that number however! I also have some questions:

1. I love the Charger, but can't help thinking I should have bought a Homage. I may think about upgrading; have others done this and is it worth it? I mostly ride on roads, simple forest tracks and abandoned railway lines. I fancy the comfort, the step through on ageing hips, and the added bells and whistles.

2. How re-sellable are Chargers in great condition, typically?

Thanks, muchly

MNT
I just went through the same exercise on a new bike about 3 months back between the Delite and the Homage. My wife also wanted to be able to ride our new R&M, so Homage it was and absolutely no regrets
It's turned out to be an amazing go anywhere and do anything bike for us.

I did check out a Homage with an Intuvia display as well as I was actually looking to spec a bike with the Kiox display. However, for us, our LBS had an unspoken for Homage configured the way we wanted but had equipped it with the Nyon. It was more $$$, but now I have it, it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade IMHO. The automatic syncing, reporting and ease of pushing routes to and from the unit is just so easy.
While I think the SMH is interesting, the build quality on that mount and the fact I have to commit my phone to it actually puts me off a bit.

As to HS or not, if you do mostly road riding and you're thinking about it, probably means you should get it. If you were mostly offroad and trails, it would be a different matter, but having the assistance to get up to and beyond 28mph especially on the road is very confidence inspiring, especially if you want to keep up with local car traffic!

Cheers

-Sam

Thank you for all the great advice, much appreciated. The NYON upgrade is possible and is reasonable, price-wise. BUT there are no units available, and it looks like there won't be any for a while. Nor are there any conversion kits, either. Which is frustrating. I have ordered one, but we shall see. Apparently it's all another of the "advantages" of Brexit - the gift that keeps on giving. Hey ho.

I am speaking to the LBS about the Homage and PX'ing the Charger. We shall see, but I do think I am tempted enough to do it.

Thanks everyone

Late to this thread. Brexit or not, let me share some experience, as the UK has still inherited many EU laws.

De-restricting a Bosch e-bike is tricky, and might lead to the system bricking, and could invalidate your warranty.
A HS e-bike is a pain if you want to ride it legally. HS e-bikes are mopeds by law, with all consequences arising from it. Worse, the UK specific law reads you shall wear a motorcycle helmet while riding a HS e-bike. If you want to keep it illegal, first think of removing the number plate support, and that's tricky enough in itself (and might invalidate your warranty).

I’m a big fan of the high speed option
Sam, NZ is known of its liberal e-bike laws. The UK is not the same. I don't think you need to register your HS bike in NZ, install the number plate, pay liability insurance fees, carry a driving license with you, or wear a motorcycle helmet in your country.

By chance, this article refers to a High Speed R&M e-bike.

Last edited:
Late to this thread. Brexit or not, let me share some experience, as the UK has still inherited many EU laws.

De-restricting a Bosch e-bike is tricky, and might lead to the system bricking, and could invalidate your warranty.
A HS e-bike is a pain if you want to ride it legally. HS e-bikes are mopeds by law, with all consequences arising from it. Worse, the UK specific law reads you shall wear a motorcycle helmet while riding a HS e-bike. If you want to keep it illegal, first think of removing the number plate support, and that's tricky enough in itself (and might invalidate your warranty).

Sam, NZ is known of its liberal e-bike laws. The UK is not the same. I don't think you need to register your HS bike in NZ, install the number plate, pay liability insurance fees, carry a driving license with you, or wear a motorcycle helmet in your country.

@Stefan Mikes - correct. Provided it’s under 300w you’re good to go as a standard bicycle.

The act of installing a device which removes the speed limits of the system is called "Tuning", Bosch calls it "Tampering" and i assume with every firmware/software update to the newer motors they are getting smarter at detecting it. Once detected your bike records the fact and how many times it detected it.
The new "Smart System" (not on the Homage yet) i imagine would be significantly smarter at detecting tampering.
So your best bet if you need the speed and are willing to go through any other requirements associated with it is to get the HS (if you can).

Oh wow, that article really puts a downer on owning a HS ebike in the UK. All the restrictions of a motor bike/moped but with added complexity in registering, paying and insuring. Plus can't cycle on lovely cycle paths...

Back