Update on Domane HP ownership

Just brought home a new HP. After brief ride it occurred to me, what if I get a rear flat? The bike shop secured the Kiox onto the mount so I can't turn the bike upside down or weight would be resting on it. Thoughts? Think I want that screw removed so I can take the Kiox off.

Last edited:
I bought a Domane +HP on Friday, May 21st, and have been following these forums for a while. Lots of info here, thanks. Found my Domane +HP at a bike shop, 4 1/2 hours away, near Albany New York. A long drive, there and back, but they had a 58 cm Domane in stock, and built, ready to test ride.

I was torn between the Spec Turbo Creo SL Comp Carbon and the Domane. Finally decided on the Domane because I wanted the larger LiPo capacity, (500Wh versus 320 for Creo) better Kiox computer, frame available in incremental sizes, not just small , medium or large, and the Domane's industry standard 75Nm Bosch Performance Line Speed motor. Domane has easily removed battery too. So lock the bike at a restaurant, then carry LiPo inside to charge over lunch? Creo assist mode changes require looking down, and pushing buttons on top tube?
The friends I plan to ride with have E-bikes with 500 Wh batteries , so I needed the same larger battery.

The Creo was/is lighter, at 32 lbs, versus 36, and I looked at one at a LBS, but it was sold, so I couldn't do a test ride. I might have liked the Future Shock in stem. Comparisons, on this forum and others suggested the Creo motor is less powerful than the Domane. And I still have my "analog" road bike, 17 1/2 lb Cannondale Synapse Carbon , with all DuraAce, so I have a light bike too.

Good advice on forums was,
Get software for all three, Bosch motor, Kiox and battery upgraded before delivery,
Have LBS switch lighting off as default, which is on at all times the US. I can still switch it on as required.
Walk mode is activated on my computer. Is that the default?

Always take your shoes, pedals and bike shorts to bike shop for test ride before delivery. Glad I did this as derailleur needed some adjustment. After a few short rides, it was all dialed in, and we could head home. I probably won't be going there again, because of the distance, which is too bad. A nice bike shop, good bike tech; Jay.

Initial riding impressions; I was using ECO to climb small hills, then pedal assist off on flats and descents. Probably just try ECO on continuously, as I don't like looking down at computer to see what mode I am in. Large 35 C tires feel a bit porky, compared to the 23c tires on the Synapse. OTOH, with larger tires; don't have to worry as much about road debris. Not sure if I will put an old Brooks leather saddle on this bike. Stock seat isn't super comfortable yet. Should I play with the Iso-Speed adjustment in the seat post?View attachment 88441
Now I can enjoy more, and longer rides here in Vermont.
Most stock seats on bikes are always uncomfortable and basically everyone always replaces them even on high end bikes like your domane.

That being said in the photo your seat is tilted downward a few degrees which is applying pressure on your wrists and another place where you would not want to have pressure.

Try raising the nose of the seat 1-2 degrees this will relieve pressure from those points and stop you from sliding downward to the nose.

Just brought home a new HP. After brief ride it occurred to me, what if I get a rear flat? The bike shop secured the Kiox onto the mount so I can't turn the bike upside down or weight would be resting on it. Thoughts? Think I want that screw removed so I can take the Kiox off.
You could rotate your Kiox mount down, closer to parallel with the stem, so that the tops of the hoods would contact the ground before the Kiox. And/or remove the screw; the Kiox is not going to come off under normal riding conditions.

(edit- this is my response to ubt. Fire tablet browser has some problem with replying) Had the screw removed. Too old to change my ways of fixing a flat. Laying bike down just seems weird. Went on 1st ride. About 25 miles and 1500' of climbing. Eco only. Used 27% of battery. Steep stuff still brought suffering but only about half as much as I was climbing twice as fast. Hit some climbs I've avoided because of back issues and felt pretty good. Had a big smile several times as I hit some speed downhill.

Last edited:
You could rotate your Kiox mount down, closer to parallel with the stem, so that the tops of the hoods would contact the ground before the Kiox. And/or remove the screw; the Kiox is not going to come off under normal riding conditions.
If you want the front light properly adjusted, you don't get to choose the Kiox mount angle as the light angle changes with it. The light is very bright and in my opinion should be carefully adjusted like a car headlight to get the most forward throw without blinding cars. After adjusting mine, I am very happy with the front light for night riding (unhappy it doesn't blink for day).

Good thing I had the Kiox mount screw removed since I got my first flat today. Tiny hole on (front) rim side of tube. Joy. I was surprised at how flimsy those Schwalbe tires are. Fine on a race bike but seem out of place on a 37lb ebike. Gonna try some beefy Continental Contact Plus tires(37), which they bill as suitable for ebikes.

Sorry to glom onto this thread but didn't want to start a new one. I think it would be cool to have an "Official 2021 Domane+ HP Owner's Thread" to act as a one stop shop for info/questions. Common on AV sites but don't see any here. Newbie so I'm treading lightly.

Last edited:
The newest version of the Bontrager AW3 in 38c is pretty nice. I have the regular hard case but there is also a lite version.

The Bontrager R1s that came on my Domain SL5 wore so fast that it made me wary of their tires. I've had better luck with Contis, though they tend to be challenging to take off and on the rims. Broke several plastic tools trying to mount.

That's one of the main issues with these e-bikes is the big smile that keeps coming across your face. Can't seem to wipe it off.

I've already had two flats and could only repair them with the bike upside down. i strongly recommend removing the screw...the magnets are plenty strong enough to keep the display firmly in the mount.

Good thing I had the Kiox mount screw removed since I got my first flat today. Tiny hole on (front) rim side of tube. Joy. I was surprised at how flimsy those Schwalbe tires are. Fine on a race bike but seem out of place on a 37lb ebike. Gonna try some beefy Continental Contact Plus tires(37), which they bill as suitable for ebikes.

Sorry to glom onto this thread but didn't want to start a new one. I think it would be cool to have an "Official 2021 Domane+ HP Owner's Thread" to act as a one stop shop for info/questions. Common on AV sites but don't see any here. Newbie so I'm treading lightly.
I actually think that would be a good idea as the owner base for the Domane HP continues to expand. Btw I haven't had a flat yet but you guys have me concerned.

I actually think that would be a good idea as the owner base for the Domane HP continues to expand. Btw I haven't had a flat yet but you guys have me concerned.
My flat was likely due to overinflating the front tire(read the sidewall, not the internet) so don't worry too much. I didn't have much trouble replacing the tube(with the stock tire). But, yeah, flats are never fun.

My flat was likely due to overinflating the front tire(read the sidewall, not the internet) so don't worry too much. I didn't have much trouble replacing the tube(with the stock tire). But, yeah, flats are never fun.
What were you running psi?

I have been running about 55-60 psi. I have the carbon wheels.
I'm running 80psi. Schwalbe tubes in Vittoria tires. I think my first flat was a pinch flat induced by the company I bought the bike from...the second was a piece of wheel spoke picked up while riding the on bike path...go figure!

What were you running psi?
I was running both at 80psi but had first inflated the front to 90(which I'm thinking stressed the tube). I could tell by the pump that 90(which I run the 32c tires on my Domane SL5 at) was too much. After flat, I took a few seconds to check the sidewall and saw 70psi. Doh!

I installed the rim strips and pulled the tubes, running the front at 50 and the rear at 55. Nice and cushy.

Back