Ultimate bike and tire for 50/50 Trail/Street

DanInStPete

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about this. I started my most recent buying cycle about 8 months ago looking for one bike to do it all. What I thought at the time was I wanted a hard-tail mountain bike with cross-country tires that would roll well on the street.

I couldn't find the right bike, so I bought a street bike. Then, I really wanted to be in the woods, so when I came across a fantastic deal I bought a mountain bike.

But I'd really prefer to have one bike to do it all. And after riding trails for the past 6 weeks I know I need full-suspension.

So what's the ultimate combo, the do-it-all machine? Let's say price doesn't matter and this is long-term commitment. I'm thinking it would be something like this:

- full suspension mountain bike
- leaning toward more relaxed geometry for comfort
- not too slack so it handles well on the street
- large battery capacity
- cross country tires that roll well on the street but will deal with somewhat rough trails

Is it a R&M Superdelite Mountain with Continental Race King tires?

Last edited:
Does your street bike need to server commuting duties, that is, does your do-it-all full-suspension bike need to have a rear rack capable of carrying a laptop?

Last edited:
what's the ultimate combo, the do-it-all machine?

That concept is known as Sport Utility Bike (SUB). Something that can handle a bit of off-road and yet be versatile enough to handle on-road conditions with cargo capability.
R&M Superdelite is a very good option for sure.
The bike I am designing is very similar ( a tad bit lighter, slightly higher battery capacity 625+500 vs 500+500 on the R&M).

I am still unable to come up with a robust solution for Gates drive but I could do Rohloff E-14 or Enviolo or XTR Di2 with the chain. I will be launching the brand and product in Canada sometime around August and if I can be of help, let me know.
I just finalized the sizes and geometry yesterday ( see below .... from small to extra large)

1588281946237.png

Last edited:
I do think a do-it-all bike should have some carrying capacity, yes.

Ravi that's really interesting and the design looks great. One internal battery with a piggy back? Will this bike be along the lines of the Bulls Iconic Evo TR1?

Which, by the way, is another contender for an ultimate do-it-all bike. They only fit riders up to 6'3" though, and I'm just over that so probably a little small for me.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to what you come out with Ravi. I will be ready to buy my 2nd ebike towards the end of year to maybe early next year. So have time to wait.

I could do Rohloff E-14 or Enviolo or XTR Di2 with the chain.

Exciting news to be sure. Why the XTR Di2 instead of the SRAM Eagle AXS, which I think is the premium non-IGH solution today?

I personally would advise against the Nuvinci enviolo, mostly because its range isn't great enough but also it's less efficient than either chain or Rohloff. I guess if hill climbing or going really fast isn't an issue it does have the robustness and lack of regular maintenance aspects, though.

Other bikes to consider include the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 500 or 625, Race 500 or 625 Allroad, the Focus Thron² 6.8 EQP, and the Moustache Friday 27 FS or FS Speed. Oh, and the Frey CC.

If I were you looking for a one bike solution, have two sets of wheels; one with street rubber and the other with off road tires.

Other bikes to consider include the Cube Stereo Hybrid 120 Pro 500 or 625, Race 500 or 625 Allroad, the Focus Thron² 6.8 EQP, and the Moustache Friday 27 FS or FS Speed. Oh, and the Frey CC.

If I were you looking for a one bike solution, have two sets of wheels; one with street rubber and the other with off road tires.
Those are great bike suggestions. And yes, I have considered a second set of wheels. I priced it out and could put together a second set for the FullSeven for around $550. So, really, I could sell my Vado and just do that.

I didn't even know about the Focus Thron, that is a sweet bike.

(BTW I’m from NOVA)

Last edited:
Ravi that's really interesting and the design looks great. One internal battery with a piggy back?

Thank you @DanInStPete !
Yes, one internal + one piggyback. Creating two internal powertube designs makes the bike too heavy with all the extra aluminum and reduces the agility.
For most cases, 625whr is plenty and for those weekend 625+500 is more than enough. No more lugging around extra 500 powerpack.
This is different from Bulls Iconic technically even though the underlying concept is similar i.e., Bulls has a rear rack that is mounted to the moving seat stay and all the weight is on the rear axle.
In our case, we will have fully suspended rear rack like the R&M superdelite. Also, I don't think BULLS has an option for piggyback battery.
Technically, this will come with high-end components like your Haibike (4-piston brakes, 1400 lumen lights, 130mm front suspension etc)

Really looking forward to what you come out with Ravi. I will be ready to buy my 2nd ebike towards the end of year to maybe early next year. So have time to wait.

Thank you, @MarkF . Really appreciate the support. Having good friends in the industry certainly helps.
The enginner who helped me with suspension kinematics was the lead engineer who designed bikes for Canyon.
The frames are built in the same factory that high-quality bikes like Pinarello, Canyon etc use. So, you're in good hands.

Exciting news to be sure. Why the XTR Di2 instead of the SRAM Eagle AXS, which I think is the premium non-IGH solution today?

Sure. I am open to trying SRAM AXS. I have used XTR Di2 and it just works.
I have not tried SRAM but if someone wants, it's a simple swap.

Ravi The SUB is looking great , For color I hope you take inspiration from the Palette of the Moustache line.

Great suggestion. I will reach out to you personally to get more inputs on this when we move to the painting stage.

That concept is known as Sport Utility Bike (SUB). Something that can handle a bit of off-road and yet be versatile enough to handle on-road conditions with cargo capability.
R&M Superdelite is a very good option for sure.
The bike I am designing is very similar ( a tad bit lighter, slightly higher battery capacity 625+500 vs 500+500 on the R&M).

I am still unable to come up with a robust solution for Gates drive but I could do Rohloff E-14 or Enviolo or XTR Di2 with the chain. I will be launching the brand and product in Canada sometime around August and if I can be of help, let me know.
I just finalized the sizes and geometry yesterday ( see below .... from small to extra large)

View attachment 51234
A single line chain in lieu of a belt with the Rohloff is a very good alternative also with benefits
It should save a heap of lost efficiency from belt drag, chain wear will be far less than a derailleur with reduced maintenance
You never know, some may actually prefer this option

Last edited:
Back