I have been working on a Fat Tire Hunting E Bike spread sheet
which has just about 50 entry points.
This is the certifications I have found when going thru,
all the OEM posted information.
I did find several that "Stated" they were certified,
but found no other information noting WHAT certified it is.

Below is the noted certifications as posted:
Name UL Cert #
44Bee Path Finder STUL 2849
29Rattan Pathfinder STUL 2849
40Lectric X Peak STUL 2849
43Go Trax Tundra STUL 2849
39Mooncool MC 3 AWD STUL 2849
30Magicycle Ocelet Pro STUL 2849
11Aventon Adventure 2 STUL 2849
25AIMI Big Sur STUL 2849
46Juiced Rip Current S STUl 2849
6Magicycle Deer STUL 2849
1*Denago Hunting 1 STUL 2849
24Pedego Trail Tracker STUL 2580
42Velotric Nomad 1 STUL 2271
8Mokwheel Basalt STUL 2271

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of these multimillion companies $2500.00 isn't very much money. The price of a small automobile.
Most brands of bikes do not have a different battery on each and every model.

And reviewing the UL list, I’d not be willing to work on many of those certified e-bikes. Certified junk. This insurance UL scam sucks. I know I have builds far more reliable and with better components than several listed. Jeebus join the 3 class dullards. It’ll be long after my nap that legislation catches up. Some days it’s good to be old. We got to play before the market got dumbed down.
Almost true

We got to play before the market got dumbed down.
I was rooting around last night and typed Bafang into the SGS directory of certified products and it seems Bafang had a bunch of their hub motor and OEM mid-drives certified to UL 2849, but not their DIY BBS mid-drives yet unfortunately since it looks like they wont do it unless a N.American market OEM brand pays for it (since its US regulators that are demanding this). I'm hoping Dahon will pay Tongsheng to get their mid-drives UL 2849 certified, so they can get their Dahon Unio E20 model UL certified, but that's just one model and there's the chance Dahon might simply pull that one model off the US market and redesign future mid-drive models around another UL-compliant motor shell. As you know more than most DIY typically gets the shitty end of the stick from Bafang but if they cede the US DIY market to other brands maybe they might get with the program.

Last edited:
I got an email from Justin Lemire-Elmore at Grin Tech in response to my question are there any UL compliant DIY kits coming

“we will have UL2271 certification of our LiGo 10X batteries once those are ready for release. The UL 2849 is a standard for complete ebikes not discrete parts, so getting that certification is up to factory bike manufacturers with all components integrated.”

So no DIY e-bike kits, or converted bikes, are going to be UL 2849 certified. There is a manifest need to convert adaptive bikes for the disabled. Will we see carve outs adopted into state law?

I got an email from Justin Lemire-Elmore at Grin Tech in response to my question are there any UL compliant DIY kits coming

“we will have UL2271 certification of our LiGo 10X batteries once those are ready for release. The UL 2849 is a standard for complete ebikes not discrete parts, so getting that certification is up to factory bike manufacturers with all components integrated.”

So no DIY e-bike kits, or converted bikes, are going to be UL 2849 certified. There is a manifest need to convert adaptive bikes for the disabled. Will we see carve outs adopted into state law?
I doubt it. There's no way other than certifying individual shops that is practical, and I don't see the federal or state governments funding such a system. But I don't know the regulations on electric mobility devices, either. Are they even certified?

regulations on electric mobility devices... Are they even certified?
Lithium batteries on electric wheelchairs are certified under an ISO standard. The ADA thread established e-bikes can be considered an "other power driven mobility device" (OPDMD). However E-bikes used as OPDMD's would still be subject to whatever regulations CPSC and states adopt: UL 2849 & UL 2271 etc.

Lithium batteries on electric wheelchairs are certified under an ISO standard. The ADA thread established e-bikes can be considered an "other power driven mobility device" (OPDMD). However E-bikes used as OPDMD's would still be subject to whatever regulations CPSC and states adopt: UL 2849 & UL 2271 etc.
I wonder if @tomjasz eTrike could qualify.

I did not read the entire string, but if it hasn't been said, remember, "Built to UL Standard" is not the same as being "UL Certified.

Apparently ul certified applys to the whole system ... battery, controller, and motor...

Apparently ul certified applys to the whole system ... battery, controller, and motor...
UL certifed can be for a product or a component. Since there is an Ebike Standard, using individual certified components isn't enough to call the ebike certified (unless the ebike standard allows it.)

UL certifed can be for a product or a component. Since there is an Ebike Standard, using individual certified components isn't enough to call the ebike certified (unless the ebike standard allows it.)
Sorry, I don't understand. I'm slow, i know. But if the parts (battery, motor, and controler) are certified, why isn't the combination?

Sorry, I don't understand. I'm slow, i know. But if the parts (battery, motor, and controler) are certified, why isn't the combination?
Might or might not, I haven't seen the standard, but interconnects might also be part of the combination. Consider what might happen with poor wiring practices.

Might or might not, I haven't seen the standard, but interconnects might also be part of the combination. Consider what might happen with poor wiring practices.
Or attaching a 48 volt controller and battery to a 24 volt motor. And so on ... i can't see any certification for a shop occurring b/c of this stuff.

There is a manifest need to convert adaptive bikes for the disabled. Will we see carve outs adopted into state law?
If laws are modeled after NYC's legislation, then we likely will.

Powered bicycle. The term “powered bicycle” means a bicycle with electric assist as defined in section 102-c of the vehicle and traffic law.

Powered mobility device. The term “powered mobility device” means an electric scooter as defined in section 114-e of the vehicle and traffic law or successor provision or other personal mobility device powered by a lithium-ion or other storage battery. The term does not include powered bicycles, wheelchairs or other mobility devices designed for use by persons with disabilities, or any vehicle that is capable of being registered with the New York State Department...

If laws are modeled after NYC's legislation, then we likely will.

Powered bicycle. The term “powered bicycle” means a bicycle with electric assist as defined in section 102-c of the vehicle and traffic law.

Powered mobility device. The term “powered mobility device” means an electric scooter as defined in section 114-e of the vehicle and traffic law or successor provision or other personal mobility device powered by a lithium-ion or other storage battery. The term does not include powered bicycles, wheelchairs or other mobility devices designed for use by persons with disabilities, or any vehicle that is capable of being registered with the New York State Department...
Well thst doesn't leave much, now does it...

Well thst doesn't leave much, now does it...
I probably should have added more context. That is from the NYC legislation that restricted sale/rental/lease of non UL certified ebikes and other powered mobility devices(primarily e-scooters). In other words, if the mobility device is designed for an ADA use it is exempt from the UL2849/UL2272 requirement that NYC has put in place.

I probably should have added more context. That is from the NYC legislation that restricted sale/rental/lease of non UL certified ebikes and other powered mobility devices(primarily e-scooters). In other words, if the mobility device is designed for an ADA use it is exempt from the UL2849/UL2272 requirement that NYC has put in place.
Ok. Thanks for the clarification, but it seems to still leave custom builds like @tomjasz and his eTrike out. Also my custom build by @PedalUma , and most other non factory bikes.

How do we handle replacing batteries? Are we limited to buying from dealer, if they're still in business? Can a rebuilder get any sort of certification, if they have exp, use industry-standard materials, etc? There is a rebuilder in Denver meets that definition, does rebuilds cheaper than dealer, partly because he re-uses the casings.

Back