U-lock or Folding Lock?

lenajc

Hi, now that I have my first ebike (Electra Townie Go! 8i), I need some tips on which lock to buy. I know that you should use a more heavy-duty lock for a more expensive bike. I'm going to take advantage of REI's member sale and I am debating between these:

ABUS U-Lock $150 USD: https://www.rei.com/product/115950/abus-granit-x-plus-540-u-lock
ABUS Folding Lock $180: https://www.rei.com/product/115946/abus-bordo-granit-x-plus-6500-folding-lock (ABUS rating 15/15)
ABUS Folding Lock $130: https://www.rei.com/product/115945/abus-bordo-600090-folding-lock (ABUS rating 10/15)

Storing my bike at work, in a locked bike cage, is not too much a security risk. It's when I decide to go out after work in downtown Austin, which may be more of an issue. Of course, this would happen after the COVID-19 business subsides. Any thoughts on which direction I should go? I like the flexibility of a folding lock (should I ever need it), and it's compactness. If I go for the folding lock, the more expensive one I linked to seems like the way to go based on it's security rating, even if it is almost 4 pounds. But is it that much more secure than the cheaper folding lock?

Or is a U-lock the way to go? Thoughts? FYI - the bike comes with an ABUS lock on the rear wheel and I do have an extra cable to go with a lock.

I went with the 600090 over the more expensive lock, mostly because I felt the mounting system would last longer and was more secure. I also went with folding locks only because they are more compact and I felt would be easier to use daily over the U lock which I never seem to have a good place to store on my non-e-bike, much less on my Allant 9.9S. The folding lock just fit nicely. Using the folding lock seemed more work then a U lock however, even if I did have more options for use.

I think they are all too short. Ulock or fold lock are fine if your city has 1" diameter bike tethers everywhere you want to go. I use power poles and gas meters, mostly, occasionally 2 rungs of a cart rack at shopping centers. I wrap with a 6' long 3/8" stainless steel sling and a grade 11 padlock. It fits in the panniers shown left, won't fit in a bustle bag. About 6 lb. https://www.mcmaster.com/8942T14 Stainless is a P*** to cut, won't burn when orange like carbon steel.

Or is a U-lock the way to go? Thoughts? FYI - the bike comes with an ABUS lock on the rear wheel and I do have an extra cable to go with a lock.
Do you know which model the ABUS cafe lock (assuming it's a cafe lock) is?

Some models have the capability to add a chain/cable for added security...

Here's the chain, for example.

I think they are all too short. Ulock or fold lock are fine if your city has 1" diameter bike tethers everywhere you want to go.
OP is talking about after work in downtown Austin, so should be good for length... dunno how bad the city is for bike thievin' :)

Do you know which model the ABUS cafe lock (assuming it's a cafe lock) is?

Some models have the capability to add a chain/cable for added security...

Here's the chain, for example.

Yes, it's one of these types. Don't know which kind for purposes of the chain.

Yes, it's one of these types. Don't know which kind for purposes of the chain.
If the side opposite the keyhole has a hole, you can plug the cable/chain in there, which will let you secure it to a rack and/or through the front tire.

Electra should be able to tell you the lock model number if you're not sure.

If the side opposite the keyhole has a hole, you can plug the cable/chain in there, which will let you secure it to a rack and/or through the front tire.

Electra should be able to tell you the lock model number if you're not sure.

Thanks for the tip!

Keep in mind that there is no bike lock that can't be cut w/ a power grinder in no time at all. I bought a heavy duty Kriptonite lock for $50 and always park where there's people around like a grocery store. I also hid most of the wiring and removed all the markings that would easily identify the bike as an eBike.

Consider ABUS locks (ordered from them) to match your battery lock. I know that doesn't help with the REI sale, but better to know now than later.
They would use the "YourPlus" code from your existing battery key. IIRC, its a 10 or 15% upcharge.

I have Abus XPlus 6500 in the 110cm length. I would definately go for that longer length. You can order abus locks at hollandbikeshop.com for a hefty savings. IDK how international shipping is right now with the virus outbreak though. Other options include a Pewag 10mm chain, plus a viro padlock (see www.westechrigging.com). This chain/padlock combo weighs 7.5 pounds for a 110cm chain length vs. 5 pounds for the Abus 6500 Folding, 110cm length. The chain is definately easier to wrap around trees/street lights, but the folding lock is an extremely convenient and small package. That chain will take up at least a third of your pannier.

Security wise it's too close to call, either one looks good. It'll come down to convenience for you. I'd go for the lock that will give the most reach around area, for tricky locking situations.

I love REI and all but check out ebay also. You can save some on a new lock and even more on a slightly used Abus. For lock lite you might consider cable looped thru front wheel around barrier and ending at your cafe lock. For max lock do the above and also Abus U lock to the barrier.

I have several Abus folding locks and the 540 u-lock. I use them all and for locking at work I use one of each (2 locks). I prefer the folding locks for flexibility and that is what I use for grocery runs or for any stop where I won't be gone long. But I always carry a cable or two of this style which allows for maximum flexibility in where and what you lock your bike to. I carry a thinner one for locking a seat rail and the thicker gauge of about 4 feet for locking to a pole or securing the front wheel. The loop ends will fit over the ends of the shackles on both the Abus 540 and the folding locks. And if I have to use the cable to secure the bike to a fixed object (often the case with my Tern GSD) then I make sure I use the locks to secure the wheels such that the bikes cannot be ridden or rolled even if the cable is cut:

1586607870176.png

And for locking at work or for long periods I always follow this (from City of San Francisco) except I don't have locking skewers (and note the use of the flexible cable):

1586608183156.png

Back