Turbo Vado Kickstand too long

mrkjd

Region
United Kingdom
The kickstand on the wife's 2022 Turbo Vado is too long resulting in the bike being too upright and unstable when deployed. It consists of a plastic section approx 5" long on the end but no "foot" as such. I am wondering if it is possible to simply cut 1/2" or so off this as it appears to be solid but am concerned that if it is hollow it may weaken the stand and / or collect debris. Has anybody done this who can advise?

IMG_6141.jpg

The kickstand on the wife's 2022 Turbo Vado is too long resulting in the bike being too upright and unstable when deployed. It consists of a plastic section approx 5" long on the end but no "foot" as such. I am wondering if it is possible to simply cut 1/2" or so off this as it appears to be solid but am concerned that if it is hollow it may weaken the stand and / or collect debris. Has anybody done this who can advise?

you need to ascertain whether the plastic end is hollow or not! my daughter's sirrus has a standard specialized kickstand with the same problem, bike stood almost vertical and would tip over. i sawed 1/4" off with a hacksaw and was surprised to find it was solid aluminum. problem solved. also filed it smooth at the end.

On my large non step through I find it very tall and close to too tall but like as is. I carry weight in bags so this puts less strain on the kickstand . I am more careful when I use it especially on uneven ground then my other bikes . 1 is too low so I use objects to lean when I can on that bike. I think it should be adjustable though.

Does that stud or screw remove? If so, can you explore the innards of the end piece?
Yes, the bottom of the kickstand can be removed. Mine was too long after installation of smaller tires. It was hollow but after cutting to shorten I filled it with silicon cement and trimmed. Works great.

The end of the OEM kickstand is removable and can be cut, the hollow interior can be filled with hot glue if desired. The genius engineers don't have a clue. Mine almost went over 2 times before I had it cut shorter. Also, on another new Vado bike, the extension piece that you trim/cut fell out, notified the LBS over 1 month ago, but still no replacement.
I opted to replace it with a Hiebe kickstand, in the end.
Back in May, I may have referenced the item below:
1: Kickstand way too high bike is almost vertical, a gust of wind will blow the bike over, had LBS cut it down 1/2", still too high, ordered adjustable Heibe from Germany, I can then make it to the proper height without cutting.
Bike stand 0661 TX | FIX 40 T - Hebie. Since 1868 made in Bielefeld, Germany.
Bike stands are made in Bielefeld, Germany. Our product range of bike stands offers you solutions for different circumstances. Inform yourself here.
If so desired, be sure to get the "TX", not the "T", as the TX is the proper length.
1658429578595.png

Guru: You do not need to teach me the history of my own country. Yes, we do call the bicycle "rower" because of the Rover bicycles of 1890s.
And don't tell me Heibe (otherwise an excellent brand) were making kickstands for penny-farthing bikes back there in 1868 :D

My Como has the same kickstand and lately, it had been easily falling over as if the kickstand was too short! So I took a look and discovered a piece of the plastic end had broken off. I wish it were adjustable. I’m going to look into the one GuruUno mentioned.

Just as a follow-up if anyone tries to order a Hebie kickstand as referenced (Model 0661TX) from your bike shop or supplier, do be aware there are 2 models the one with the "X" and the one without the "X", you need the one with the "X", as the other one (non-X) is just a long as the OEM and you gain nothing.
See attached drawings to understand the difference.
Hebie 0661TX.png

Hebie 0661T.png

I finally trimmed my Como kickstand. I discovered the Como BB and rear axle is closer to the ground than the Vado, but they use the same kickstand. The Vado is fine at the moment. The tip is the only thing trimmed on the Como, about 1/4", so far.

Back