Turbo Vado 6.0 owners experience (2 bikes)

azgul

Purchased the bike to commute 2x 20 km a day to work. Purchased the 2019(?) Turbo Vado 6.0 back in October 2018 because I bought a house which extended my work commute by quite a lot.

The following repairs has been done on it during ~10,000 KM:
1) Display issue not connecting with the motor, couldn't turn on the motor. Took 16 days to get it sorted.
2) Snapped spoke in rear wheel, wheel was replaced under warranty, because it was too crooked to fix. Strange noises from the motor, was also replaced under warranty. Took 42(!!!) days to get sorted.
3) Wire harness exchanged again
4) Display lost connection to motor whilst riding. Wire harness exchanged again
5) Not possible to turn off the bike as long as the battery is mounted. Battery exchanged I believe.
6) 2 days later: Frame cracked, unseating the motor. The final blow to what's been an awful bike in terms of reliability.

I know for a fact it's had other issues as well, but I don't have email threads for those by the looks of it.

Due to the cracked frame, I received a 2020 model with the TCD-W display 14 days later, I didn't get to ride it much (only about 2000 km):
1) Motor exchanged at 1150 km. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/okSuX1VKavrEQ5M86. Took 15 days to get it sorted.
2) ~850 km later display would, seemingly at random, display "MOTOR ERROR" whilst riding the bike as well as when turning it on (cold start). Was able to "fix" it by rebooting the bike 2-3 times (sometimes it'd go straight into "MOTOR ERROR" again. Waited another 14 days on a replacement motor and the buffoons at Specialized had sent out a Levo motor.

That was the final straw. I had already been extremely patient. I asked the dealer what my options were and he suggested returning it under warranty and going with a Trek instead. I was debating getting a Riese & Müller Supercharger2. Went with the Trek Allant+ 9S (enviolo & belt drive). I hope it was the right choice.

Can't recommend Specialized to anyone who needs something reliable. It's great bikes when they work. But being without my bike for what appears to be ~100+ days due to issues under warranty in about 1.5 year is obnoxious.

Purchased the bike to commute 2x 20 km a day to work. Purchased the 2019(?) Turbo Vado 6.0 back in October 2018 because I bought a house which extended my work commute by quite a lot.

1) Display issue not connecting with the motor, couldn't turn on the motor. Took 16 days to get it sorted.
2) Snapped spoke in rear wheel, wheel was replaced under warranty, because it was too crooked to fix. Strange noises from the motor, was also replaced under warranty. Took 42(!!!) days to get sorted.
5) Not possible to turn off the bike as long as the battery is mounted. Battery exchanged I believe.
6) 2 days later: Frame cracked, unseating the motor. The final blow to what's been an awful bike in terms of reliability.

I know for a fact it's had other issues as well, but I don't have email threads for those by the looks of it.

Due to the cracked frame, I received a 2020 model with the TCD-W display 14 days later, I didn't get to ride it much (only about 2000 km):
1) Motor exchanged at 1150 km. See https://photos.app.goo.gl/okSuX1VKavrEQ5M86. Took 15 days to get it sorted.
2) ~850 km later display would, seemingly at random, display "MOTOR ERROR" whilst riding the bike as well as when turning it on (cold start). Was able to "fix" it by rebooting the bike 2-3 times (sometimes it'd go straight into "MOTOR ERROR" again. Waited another 14 days on a replacement motor and the buffoons at Specialized had sent out a Levo motor.

That was the final straw. I had already been extremely patient. I asked the dealer what my options were and he suggested returning it under warranty and going with a Trek instead. I was debating getting a Riese & Müller Supercharger2. Went with the Trek Allant+ 9S (enviolo & belt drive). I hope it was the right choice.

Can't recommend Specialized to anyone who needs something reliable. It's great bikes when they work. But being without my bike for what appears to be ~100+ days due to issues under warranty in about 1.5 year is obnoxious.

What country are you in?

Sorry to hear about your experience, sounds like the shop is doing their best to take care of you. I've got 2400km's on my shop bike riding in turbo the entire time, no issues, 2021 Vado 5.0.

The R&M bikes are great, Bosch equipped, and lots of options for additional batteries and other bits. Supercharger is awesome, have had experience with them.

Bad experience, sorry to hear it @azgul . I ride a Euro 2017 Vado 5.0 bought as new in 2019 (that's almost exactly the 2019 Euro Vado 6.0). The electronics were replaced by Specialized with the TCD-W in May 2020 under warranty service. No trouble after 3600 km.

Wow, this is actually quite frightening reading this as I have had 90% of the same problems from cracked frame to replacement bike to breaking spokes (On both bikes) and I even get the “MOTOR ERROR” all the time but turning it off and back on again seems to clear it. I also considered the Trek Allant but really want the Supercharger 2. It’s an absolutely stunning bike but with an eye watering price! Let us know what you think of the Trek!

I also considered the Trek Allant but really want the Supercharger 2. It’s an absolutely stunning bike but with an eye watering price! Let us know what you think of the Trek!
Honestly I would've bought the Supercharger2 if my LBS sold them. But they don't. I'd prefer to continue to support them after what they've been through with the other bikes. They don't get compensated for all the repairs - so they are out of pocket big time lol.

I hope the Trek will fare well. Because it has the belt drive I wont have to wax my chains this winter which will be a nice change.

Last edited:
Yes it does seem to be a 7...I’m looking for a guest rider and I like the idea of the belt...I’ll probably get a 7s stagger, I would prefer the belt

Yes it does seem to be a 7...I’m looking for a guest rider and I like the idea of the belt...I’ll probably get a 7s stagger, I would prefer the belt

If it really just is the 7S with a belt & enviolo hub then they are surcharging quite a bit over here. It's $7,100. Even without our 25% VAT it would be ~$5,700.

By comparison, a Charger3 vario HS is $400 more than a Charger3 touring HS.

edit: I guess the prices are simply out of the loop over here. 9.9S is 45% more expensive here. 16% more expensive without 25% VAT.

Last edited:
Back