Turbo Vado 5.0: IGH or chain?

switters

Region
USA
Just got back from the LBS. I test-rode a Vado 4.0 (chain) and a Vado 5.0 IGH.

At first, I didn't like the IGH. When I first started pedaling, the cadence would be super fast/RPMs were high, but I wasn't moving much. It seemed like the system needed a few moments to react. The same thing would happen after decelerating and then accelerating again.

I took it back to the shop, thinking, "this isn't for me." Got on the Vado 4.0 non-IGH—and was irritated that I had to change gears! I rode it around for a bit, and while it didn't have the delay issue, I found myself missing the IGH.

So, I tried the IGH again. This time, I played around with the cadence settings a lot more. I found that the "high cadence from start" issue was better when I set the cadence to "slow", "slower", or "slowest", and/or if I started in Eco mode rather than Sport or Turbo.

After a while, I started to get used to it and really enjoy the IGH in most situations. That said, it never got to the point where it didn't feel like the RPMs were too fast from a stand still. Maybe that's just how the IGH works? Or is there a setting I can fine-tune that would change this?

(Note: I did not have the benefit of fine-tuning the settings in the Mission Control or Enviolo apps, since this was a demo bike.)

I can definitely see myself liking this bike a lot—if I can resolve or get used to this one issue. They have it in my size, and it's on sale for $3,999. Seems like a great deal.

The issues people are experiencing on this forum regarding the Enviolo Automatiq seems to be related more to Specialized‘s interface software than with the IGH itself. For example, your issue regarding the “high cadence from start”, on my Serial 1 you can adjust the “Start After Stop” effort/cadence using the Enviolo app. See screenshot below. “light” = higher starting cadence and “heavy”= lower starting cadence. On the preferences tab you can also adjust the riding cadence in 1rpm increments, versus Specialized limiting you to only a handful of presets. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the Specialized software overwrites any settings changes made using the Enviolo app. That’s too bad because it would seem Enviolo’s app and software provides more flexibility and a better user experience. They did design the hardware after all…..not Specialized!

If you really like the idea of the Automatiq, I would highly recommend trying a different bike brand that utilizes Enviolo’s app/software versus Specialized’s “nanny” software!!

IMG_0301.png

The issues people are experiencing on this forum regarding the Enviolo Automatiq seems to be related more to Specialized‘s interface software than with the IGH itself. For example, your issue regarding the “high cadence from start”, on my Serial 1 you can adjust the “Start After Stop” effort/cadence using the Enviolo app. See screenshot below. “light” = higher starting cadence and “heavy”= lower starting cadence. On the preferences tab you can also adjust the riding cadence in 1rpm increments, versus Specialized limiting you to only a handful of presets. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that the Specialized software overwrites any settings changes made using the Enviolo app. That’s too bad because it would seem Enviolo’s app and software provides more flexibility and a better user experience. They did design the hardware after all…..not Specialized!

If you really like the idea of the Automatiq, I would highly recommend trying a different bike brand that utilizes Enviolo’s app/software versus Specialized’s “nanny” software!!
Thanks!

If I'm understanding you correctly, I could change the "Start After Stop" cadence in the Enviolo app, but that change would be overwritten by Specialized's software each time I turn the bike off and on again. Is that right?

What other brands use Enviolo hardware and software? The Priority Current with Enviolo option?

Thanks!

If I'm understanding you correctly, I could change the "Start After Stop" cadence in the Enviolo app, but that change would be overwritten by Specialized's software each time I turn the bike off and on again. Is that right?

What other brands use Enviolo hardware and software? The Priority Current with Enviolo option?
That is my understanding from others on this forum.

Serial 1 Rush/CTY Speed is another option. Also check out the EVELO brand. I’m sure there are others as well.

I think it would be worth contacting Enviolo and ask them if Specialized does override the Enviolo app, and if so, if anything can be done about it.
In my experience they have been good answer technical questions.

I would actually also contact Specialized and see what they have to say about it

Oh, the United States, the country where everybody drives the automatic transmission car, so naturally they need to ride an automatic transmission e-bike... :D
And that dreaded maintenance...

Yes, I am teasing you people :)

The Start from stop setting doesn't seem to be "overwritteen" by the Specialized software settings - I have set mine with the Enviolo app and it hasn't changed.

The Start from stop setting doesn't seem to be "overwritteen" by the Specialized software settings - I have set mine with the Enviolo app and it hasn't changed.
Fantastic. Were you able to get yours set up so that you aren't spinning your pedals too fast when you start from stop!

All my issues were with the IGH (both software and mechanical). The chain drive version may have worked fine, but I lost confidence in the brand after 2 repairs they couldn’t support in 1 year that lead to 2 new bikes on warranty.

My big concern was what happens when warranty is gone. I opted to return mine for a cargo bike instead and now have a Benno Boost. When the bike was working it was great, but too hit or miss for me. My wife’s has been perfect.

I’ve had my Vado 5.0 IGH since September 22, if you are riding a steady slow speed you would need to lower your eco percentage in micro tune when I’m on crowded rail trails I set it to 10/75… otherwise just hop on and ride ,95% of the time it’s in the right gear, look at my previous posts, I recently came off a 20 mile road with 1 to 2 inches of sand in some places, it does take time to learn you won’t figure it out by sundown, people that have never been on one of these don’t have a clue how good it really is, is it for everyone? Probably not,

I’ve had my Vado 5.0 IGH since September 22, if you are riding a steady slow speed you would need to lower your eco percentage in micro tune when I’m on crowded rail trails I set it to 10/75… otherwise just hop on and ride ,95% of the time it’s in the right gear, look at my previous posts, I recently came off a 20 mile road with 1 to 2 inches of sand in some places, it does take time to learn you won’t figure it out by sundown, people that have never been on one of these don’t have a clue how good it really is, is it for everyone? Probably not,
I agree - it takes time to get your head around it. Its a different mindset - to just pedal at a set cadence and the bike takes care of setting the gear.

I agree - it takes time to get your head around it. Its a different mindset - to just pedal at a set cadence and the bike takes care of setting the gear.
Were I to buy yet another e-bike, I would give the Vado 5.0 IGH a deeper look. For me, the "cadence is the King (or Queen)" as Specialized says :)

Sometimes I think Specialized could have put less technology in the beginning at least, it’s my understanding the the Enviolo technology for their hub like the Series 1 works well, don’t seem to hear as many complaints on them

Sometimes I think Specialized could have put less technology in the beginning at least, it’s my understanding the the Enviolo technology for their hub like the Series 1 works well, don’t seem to hear as many complaints on them
Not sure whether Serial 1 uses 90 Nm motors or Enviolo Automatiq Heavy Duty hubs.

I’m really enjoying mine. Didn’t like it the first time I rest rode. Felt better during the second test drive after using the Enviolo app to adjust “start from stop” to heavy. I’m one week in and can’t imagine going back to a chain for my commuter eBike.

I’m really enjoying mine. Didn’t like it the first time I rest rode. Felt better during the second test drive after using the Enviolo app to adjust “start from stop” to heavy. I’m one week in and can’t imagine going back to a chain for my commuter eBike.
A colleague has just got the Vado 5.0 IGH and I warned him of problems mentioned in this forum. He has had the bike a couple of weeks and is blown away and would not go back to chain. He said there was a learning curve and getting the settings correct was critical. I have a feeling issues raised on this forum are more user error / laziness then anything actually fundamentally wrong with the IGH bikes.

Back