Turbo technology in 2014

I did get the larger battery. The commute is not bad except for the 4 miles in and out of my work place close to downtown Redmond. I'd gladly trade the multiple traffic lights and stops for many more miles of straight riding. On the other hand I now look forward to the return climb near my home. Almost feel guilty when I cross the Lycra clad bikers on their composite road bikes :).

I did it today and almost felt good about it :) because I met the same group going against me earlier. I waved hello but they just passed by ... about an hour later I saw the same group ahead of me on the hill. There was a quite a bit of headwind too and I was on Eco. I blew by them pretty fast (in biking world). I'm not sure if they noticed my ebike or were scratching their heads :) . Here are some photos from today:

specialized-turbo-ebike.jpg specialized-turbo-by-the-coast.jpg

After 11 miles I arrived at Kettle Cove. Had a drink of Apple juice and continued on towards Higgins beach. The winds were strong at Higgins Beach too.

black-specialized-turbo.jpg specialized-turbo-display-console.jpg

The odometer read 17 miles. I only had a few sips and continued on towards Pine Point and then biked back to the parking lot. Arrived with 26 miles on the odometer and 28% of the battery left.

turbo-display-1.jpg turbo-display-2.jpg

I believe that until the battery gets depleted one could reach easily 35 miles range. Maybe 40 miles. I weigh a lot (I just weighed myself yesterday and almost fainted...260) and the range for guy of my size is great. I would be interested to know the range a 170lb guy gets or a 140lb person... ?

The scenery is fantastic...! Is that your commute route?
Brambor, just give it a month or two and you'll be 200 in no time. :)

Ravi the scenery is not on my way to work. I live west of the east coast and travel to the coast for work, I will try to take some video tomorrow.

jwdkhan,

I just noticed your rearview mirror. I like how it looks and works. Did it come with the bike? Mine protrudes a little bit too much to the side and many times I feel like the wind is catching it. I wouldn't mind having it like you do. Could you give me more info on where to get it ? Thanks.

Hi jwdkhan, thanks for your tips on adding a Thudbuster to the Specialized Turbo! Great to hear your tip about using a nail to create an indent before trying to drill ;)

I think you're correct about the lights staying lit being a safety thing. Many European ebikes use capacitors and rely on dynamos to power lights to keep them separate from the battery (in case it runs out) and are designed to stay on for a bit after the bike stops just in case the rider is parking the bike or walking it to a rack.

I took a couple of screenshots to show the different Turbo accessories and prices here. The rack, fender and lights all look greeat :D

specialized-turbo-accessories.jpg specialized-turbo-rack-fender-light-set.jpg

Thanks Court. I looked at the CirrusBodyFloat online but that was too pricey so decided to try the Thudbuster. I used one for a few days to make sure it was worth the money and only after that did I drill the hole to pass the light wires through.

Great site, very helpful contribution from everyone, just thought I'd do my little part and share my Thudbuster experience because this is where I heard about about it first.

jwdkhan,

I just noticed your rearview mirror. I like how it looks and works. Did it come with the bike? Mine protrudes a little bit too much to the side and many times I feel like the wind is catching it. I wouldn't mind having it like you do. Could you give me more info on where to get it ? Thanks.

Hi Brambor. This is the Third Eye Bar End rear view mirror selling on Amazon for $12. I think I picked mine up from our local REI store for $15 last year. I had this installed on my previous hybrid bike and it served it's purpose very well. It's very minimal, does not stick out too much and the best part is it folds back on it's hinge when you are done using it, so it is completely out of the way. However sticking it in the bike is a bit of a hassle but can be done with some improvising and the different washers that come with it.

Just bought mine yesterday - the change to the 500wh battery made the decision for me.
Love the bike, but hate the supplied mirror (sticks out too far) and the rack (uses the fender for fore/aft support). I've ordered a Blackburn rack and a Thudbuster ST for it (local roads are in poor shape).

I got the flat Black, and it is gorgeous - gets lots of attention. I've put about 50 miles on it so far, and the pedelec is flawless - it feels completely natural. Range is more than 25 in hilly country, with about 30% left at that point. I love the DD quiet.

The joystick works well, although the display and the brake integration means that it is tough to get the brake levers at the right angle and still see the display well - I need to take a close look to see if they can be adjusted independently.

I also think the mirror sticks out too far. It gets in a way when bringing the bike indoors too.

Hmmm - integration can go too far - the computer and the brake lever housing are one piece. I guess I'll have to have the brake levers a bit further down than I'd prefer, in order to better read the display.

Hmmm - integration can go too far - the computer and the brake lever housing are one piece. I guess I'll have to have the brake levers a bit further down than I'd prefer, in order to better read the display.
Good feedback... I can see how that would get annoying, ergonomics vs. visibility :/ which Blackburn rack did you get? I was assuming the seatpost design (not sure if the Turbo has eyelets on the seat stays?) but the seat post is carbon right? Is that sturdy enough for a seat post mounted rack, be careful tightening if so ;)

Seat post is an aluminum Thudbuster ST, but I bought the classic Blackburn rack. The Turbo does have eyelets for racks everywhere you could put one.

Seat post is an aluminum Thudbuster ST, but I bought the classic Blackburn rack. The Turbo does have eyelets for racks everywhere you could put one.
Cool! The default seat post on the Specialized Turbo is carbon fiber though right? I think that's what I saw on the review bike at least :)

Thanks! I've updated the review. I must have received improper information or made an incorrect assumption during my test rides. Appreciate the help :)
I think they had some carbon parts on the review bikes that didn't make it on the production models. I'm OK with that, since the changes included 40% more battery capacity (now 504WH).

I think they had some carbon parts on the review bikes that didn't make it on the production models. I'm OK with that, since the changes included 40% more battery capacity (now 504WH).
Right, I just got to test Brambor's 2014 Specialized Turbo and am working on a completely new review. Got the thing going up to 30mph and it was a blast! Love the new black paint job as well, the joystick upgrade is sweet and still allows you to enter throttle mode up to ~11 mph which is cool.

Nice minor touches on the 2014 Turbo:
  • The name on the sides of the front light light up to let you see when it's On.
  • Rack mounts everywhere.
  • Range is excellent. On flat ground, I've hit 40 miles without working too hard.
  • Handles really well - very solid frame with good geometry for the road.
Not quite so nice:
  • Rides hard. A Thudbuster ST is a great add-on.
  • The handlebars on the Medium frame are too wide. (Same width bars on the Medium, Large, and Extra-Large frames.
  • Can't adjust brake lever and computer display angle separately.
  • I'd prefer a key-lock on the battery instead of the button.

Nice minor touches on the 2014 Turbo:
  • The name on the sides of the front light light up to let you see when it's On.
  • Rack mounts everywhere.
  • Range is excellent. On flat ground, I've hit 40 miles without working too hard.
  • Handles really well - very solid frame with good geometry for the road.
Not quite so nice:
  • Rides hard. A Thudbuster ST is a great add-on.
  • The handlebars on the Medium frame are too wide. (Same width bars on the Medium, Large, and Extra-Large frames.
  • Can't adjust brake lever and computer display angle separately.
  • I'd prefer a key-lock on the battery instead of the button.
Thanks for your thoughts OldGuy, I was able to test ride the 2014 Turbo when visiting @Brambor in Maine this past week. I've published the review and was able to incorporate your thoughts on pros/cons feel free to share your thoughts on how this turned out and if I missed anything :)

Back