Turbo Levo v Hydra

You're arguing that the legal limit is 1HP, and also claiming 1000W peak would be legal, but not 1200W peak. 1HP = 745.7 watts last I checked. You can't have it both ways. It's either nominal or peak.

Im saying what i just said, a 750watt nominal motor that peaks at under 1000watts produces one HP or less and would be legal vs a 750 watt nominal motor that peaks at 1200watt which is over One horse power and not legal.

Technically, 750 watts is over 1 HP, but nobody cares. Manufacturers and authorities alike seem to have adopted the rounded-off 750 figure as acceptable, even as Class 1. Where are you getting the 1000 watt number? As far as I can tell, you pulled that out of thin air. I am aware of no law anywhere on earth that sets a limit for measured peak power. Please provide an example of one or drop the notion it has anything to do with "legality."

When you say "Legal" where specifically are you talking about? You do realize than unless you're on federal land, the "Feds" have nothing to do with it, right? The "Legality" is up to States, Counties, Cities, whatever particular agency is in charge of whatever particular park and landowners--they all have different rules. I have personally set the "Law" on my land to 373,000 Watts (Peak :)) and 140 MPH top speed (throttle or pedal assist).

All im saying is if you limit an Ultra to be "legal" it will not be a huge difference from something like a Levo

Yes, it will. What basis do you have from which to say a roughly 50% power increase won't be much of a difference?

I think it is generally accepted that, at least in Europe, the limits refer to nominal motor rating. In fact some of their regs refer to nominal or continuous rating. In the US you could certainly make the argument that 1HP is intended to set the peak limit, however general concensus seems to be this is a nominal limit, and even EBR when reviewing bikes with 750W nominal motors doesn't make the argument that these bikes are illegal in the US. Yes, they have highlighted the 1000W nominal configuration of the Ultra may not be compliant with local regs. My point when the question was originally asked, can you may the Hydra legal, is yes, you can whatever your local limit is, in fact Watt Wagons sells the Hydra in 750W nominal configuration by default, which a reasonable person might conclude is to make the Hydra compliant with Class 1-3 regs.

Honestly, I could care less how fast anyone can make their Hydra go. That's more a function of chainring than motor. For what it was designed to do I'm not sure you would be using assist that much beyond 20 mph.

Honestly, I could care less how fast anyone can make their Hydra go. That's more a function of chainring than motor. For what it was designed to do I'm not sure you would be using assist that much beyond 20 mph.
I’ve done 35 mph on some of my Ebikes and honestly that’s as fast as I care to go. You have an accident and crash at that speed with just bicycle safety equipment and your in for a whole lot of hurt and pain. A full face helmet is a must at the minimum. If I want to go faster than that I’ll get something like a Qulbix or E Motorcycle

I’ve done 35 mph on some of my Ebikes and honestly that’s as fast as I care to go. You have an accident and crash at that speed with just bicycle safety equipment and your in for a whole lot of hurt and pain. A full face helmet is a must at the minimum. If I want to go faster than that I’ll get something like a Qulbix or E Motorcycle
My wife did 38mph pedaling downhill on a no suspension class 1. I told her Never Again when I caught up with her.

I've done 38 on a lesser bike down hill. No wobble in the wheels, so I felt okay. My biggest concern was that the brakes were insufficient for the job if they were required. It's certainly not a speed I would think about doing on a regular basis...without better brakes.

Speaking of which, the first thing I noticed on the Hydra was how well the brakes work. I'm going to have to work on my feel for where they lock the tires.

That's a reasonable speed. It's where most mopeds and street scooters cut out.

You have not resolved this?
I don't care legal or not.
My bike is 33mph capable on most terrains.
You guys must live someplace where ebikes are not fun to ride.
I hope your insurance company agrees with you.

Always ride within your comfort levels.

It does look like most of his riding is off road..so not sure how Ins comes into play.
I missed the off road on his own property only part. My insurance doesn't cover lawsuits from any illegal activities on my property. Does yours?
Edit injuries or suits from fireworks are not covered where I've lived ... Georgia, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

Last edited:
Technically, 750 watts is over 1 HP, but nobody cares. Manufacturers and authorities alike seem to have adopted the rounded-off 750 figure as acceptable, even as Class 1. Where are you getting the 1000 watt number? As far as I can tell, you pulled that out of thin air. I am aware of no law anywhere on earth that sets a limit for measured peak power. Please provide an example of one or drop the notion it has anything to do with "legality."

When you say "Legal" where specifically are you talking about? You do realize than unless you're on federal land, the "Feds" have nothing to do with it, right? The "Legality" is up to States, Counties, Cities, whatever particular agency is in charge of whatever particular park and landowners--they all have different rules. I have personally set the "Law" on my land to 373,000 Watts (Peak :)) and 140 MPH top speed (throttle or pedal assist).

Yes, it will. What basis do you have from which to say a roughly 50% power increase won't be much of a difference?
Dude your preaching to the choir, all three of my bikes exceed every legal limit in any state or country. Someone else asked if the Hydra is legal enough to "hand over to feds" and i answered NO! IMO if your worried about whether your bike is legal enough to hand over to the Feds(whatever that means) you should just buy a Euro spec bike then you dont have to worry.

....and also just like that other guy you need to learn to read or please repost the part where i say law measures peak wattage?
again i said 750watts/one horse power/20/28mph. I know my grammer sucks but i still feel like there are some serious reading comprehension issues going on here and i am for sure beginning to see a pattern so this is my last response on this Non topic, eventually you will figure it out.

ME: "i think the sky is blue"

Others: " so what your telling me is you think the sky is yellow?"

Last edited:
Here are rules for riding on Federal law riding on government properties.
Over here.
Read the following on the WARNING sign

The feds does not seize your bike.
Don't hand over your bike to the Feds.
They can search it is all they will do.
You guys are spinning your wheels
is this a joke?😂 again bud im not the guy looking to turn his bike into the feds so your quoting the wrong person.

Last edited:
Let's just calm down the question has been answered. The answer is no it's not legal. That doesn't mean don't buy one or your going to get caught. It means just be aware of that fact.

Let's just calm down the question has been answered. The answer is no it's not legal. That doesn't mean don't buy one or your going to get caught. It means just be aware of that fact.
You are 100% correct but be warned saying anything other than Hail Hydra will get you flogged around here.

Back