Turbo Levo v Hydra

I no joke you
All you need is to register your bike a Class 3
and you have to put a sticker on it.
My bike is completely legal on State or Federal property.
Registration fee is only 35$
It's permanent as long as you own the bike

If I were to sell my bike I will remove the sticker.
New owner will need to re-register under their name for it to be legal again.
The Amber colour sticker on picture.
Dude again im not the guy worried about the Feds, Stop tagging me in your replies, i dont care about anything you just posted.🤣

ElevenAD,
Please just take a step back, it appears you are seeing challenges where there are none. Yes, it’s true, a lot of people on this Forum including myself love Watt Wagons and the Hydra I have two of them and a third on order. it’s not a bike for young very fit hard chargers. They are 10 pounds heavier than a comparable turbo levo. If you don’t want more than legal power I have no idea why you would want to lug around an extra 10lbs.

ElevenAD,
Please just take a step back, it appears you are seeing challenges where there are none. . They are 10 pounds heavier than a comparable turbo levo. If you don’t want more than legal power I have no idea why you would want to lug around an extra 10lbs.
Lmao, why are you telling me this? Your just repeating what i already said several pages ago, and yes you are correct i am for sure seeing challenges🤣

Someone else asked if the Hydra is legal enough to "hand over to feds" and i answered NO! IMO if your worried about whether your bike is legal enough to hand over to the Feds(whatever that means) you should just buy a Euro spec bike then you dont have to worry.

Just because you didn't ask the question doesn't absolve you from telling somebody it wouldn't be legal if "turned over to the Feds."

Dude the answer is no it aint legal and if your seriously that scared just go to a LBS and buy a 350watt Euro spec middrive and you will be legal wherever you want to ride and you can even "bring it to the feds" lol.

....and also just like that other guy you need to learn to read or please repost the part where i say law measures peak wattage?
Here are a couple where you said peak wattage would make a difference in legality:

setting a Ultra 750 nominal is still going to blast to nearly 1500watts the second you hit the throttle, thats well over the legal one HP limit in the US, if you think thats legal good luck in court!

Law is 750watts, one horse power so i would think that a 750watt motor that peeks at between 800 and 1000watts would be legal. These motors peeking at 1200/1300watts are over one HP.

You know, there's no shame in a mea culpa if you've learned something. Insulting those who set you straight and pretending you never said what you clearly did on the other hand.... Does the phrase "stop digging" mean anything to you?

BTW, I don't own a Hydra but strongly considered ordering one and still might do so at some point. That's why I frequent this section. Why exactly do you spend so much time in this section?

Just because you didn't ask the question doesn't absolve you from telling somebody it wouldn't be legal if "turned over to the Feds."

Here are a couple where you said peak wattage would make a difference in legality:

You know, there's no shame in a mea culpa if you've learned something. Insulting those who set you straight and pretending you never said what you clearly did on the other hand.... Does the phrase "stop digging" mean anything to you?

BTW, I don't own a Hydra but strongly considered ordering one and still might do so at some point. That's why I frequent this section. Why exactly do you spend so much time in this section?
EBike police

never said anything about measuring peak wattage bud lol, thats is simply the amount of watts needed to produce One Horse Power, HP is limited to one by Law! Over 1000 peak watts and your pushing well over the one Horsepower limit! Try reading what you just quoted lol! Maybe your getting confused when i write HP but that means Horse Power.....and again it aint legal and i can and will tell this to anyone who ask and you can feel free to disagree all day long, you will still be wrong but feel free to argue about nothing.
I think i have said 2 things that have you butthurt, 1) a Hydra is NOT Legal, 2) Buying a Hydra and tuning it down to make it legal kinda defeats the purpose of buying a Hydra!
Now i get it, sorry if you own a tuned down Hydra man, i meant no offense lmao!

Last edited:
never said anything about measuring peak wattage bud lol, thats is simply the amount of watts needed to produce One Horse Power, HP is limited to one by Law! Over 1000 peak watts and your pushing well over the one Horsepower limit!
You contradict yourself in successive sentences. Stop digging.

Hydra V Turbo Levo

I’ve been riding my Hydra for the past couple months and very content but I just kept thinking to myself do I need all that power? Would it be nicer to have a bike that was 10 pounds lighter? Everyone else rides the euro spec bikes and they seem happy. Would I get more battery range using less power?

So today I went down and rented a 2019 turbo levo. They said the Brose SMag had the latest update.

First impressions

The Levo is a nice bike, it appeared to have a rockshox RL gold front and a rockshox monarch rear. These however were not even close to the mezzer pro and rockshox super deluxe I have on the hydra The brakes were struggling to stop the bike. My MT 7’s are like years better.

Power.
The levo had three modes. Assist level one was not much assist. Assist 2 was very close to eco 1 on my hydra. Great of flat ground or mild hills.

Turbo or assist three on the Levo was between eco 1 and eco 2 on my hydra.

Considering I spend the majority of my time in Eco 2 on my Hydra this is a big shortcoming.

Difficult but not very steep trail climbing.

I would give the edge to the Turbo Levo here. It is very maneuverable even with the 29s. If bounces it over rocks better than the 27.5s also. The wheelbase is noticeably shorter which adds to the maneuverability. It felt like the bottom bracket was higher with less pedal strikes.

Climbing steep loose utility roads.

We tested it on the the roads I showed my hydra climbing in an earlier video. I really was not any more impressed than the Cannondale with Shimano steps 7000 I had ridden on the same trail. It would manage well up to about 19°. After that I was pushing harder on the pedals to climb. This caused me to either stand and loose traction or turn far more than I would have liked. On my Hydra I feel much more planted and can keep the bike going in a straight line. The Hydra eco 2 is a more powerful assist which allows me to relax.

A lot of my rides involve some riding on the street coming and going

When we were on the way home from the trail the hydra which normally gets put in eco 3 and barrels down the road at 30 miles an hour was stuck waiting for the Turbo Levo to catch up.

Battery
This is by no means conclusive but at the end of the ride the turbo levo had used 4 out of 10 bars (500wh.) and the hydra and used 26%.

Given the type of riding I do which is much more in the easy trail/utility road category the hydra was definitely the right call especially with the Innotrace controller.

Long story short I am no longer seriously wondering if I want a European spec bike. I know I made the right choice buying the Hydra.

Boy am I happy I found out about Pushkar and Wattwagons.
Good comparison as I've also been looking at the Turbo Levo. Where did you rent from?

For those of you who think 750W is not much I can say that you are mistaken.

Even at 750W nominal that bike will be far quicker and faster than any mainstream like brose in Levo. Don't compare peak powers they are not sustained for long periods that may only help in technical sections that the riders use short bursts of peak power.

There’s a local bike rental here in Santa Barbara. I’m sure if you look around where you are and it will be someone that rents E mountain bikes or sometimes there are safari type companies that will take you out with a guide.

Back