Turbo Levo Trail Remote & Walk-Assist

I eared that in Europe, Specialized prohibits to there shop to sell the trail remote. If you want it buy the 2018 version of there Turbo Levo .... I need to confirm that w/ my shop but a colleague want it and his shop explain this to him.

Contact Jeff at Rock n Road Cyclery

[email protected]

He will get you set up with a remote switch

Fiji and group,

Happily I can report the switch is ordered from my local shop, and all with approval from Specialized Inside Warranty Rep. There is even instruction to route the switch wire externally from the motor plastic cover to the handle bar. A small notch with a cut grommet or tape at an edge of the motor cover will allow the wire to be installed without splice nor soldier.

The important step is to have the latest software/firmware installed before the switch is plugged in. Ok, that’s the latest.

Enjoy them trails!

Albikes

Reactions: jps
Hi Fijibubba and Albikes

I'm buying a 2017 Levo (womens verision) for my wife and would like to install the mode switch as you have discribed

What shop did either of you use to get this mod done?

I live in Huntington Beach, Cal

Thanks for the help
john Hamilton

My local shop and friends at http://spokefolk.com/ ordered the switch for me. The reply from the inside rep at SpecialMafia was that you just get the latest soft/firmware installed on your battery, then install the switch and wire as you see fit. He ran his outside the frame and taped in place on the downtube, making a small notch in the plastic motor cover at the left crank.

I’m installing mine now. Will do the same for friends in Tahoe next. I ordered three switches total from Spoke Folk. Tell them Al sent ya. They’ll help you out.

Albikes

My local shop and friends at http://spokefolk.com/ ordered the switch for me. The reply from the inside rep at SpecialMafia was that you just get the latest soft/firmware installed on your battery, then install the switch and wire as you see fit. He ran his outside the frame and taped in place on the downtube, making a small notch in the plastic motor cover at the left crank.

I’m installing mine now. Will do the same for friends in Tahoe next. I ordered three switches total from Spoke Folk. Tell them Al sent ya. They’ll help you out.

Albikes
Hello Allbikes, did you manage to get the walk assist switch working? Any pics of the routing you did? Would love to see the end result. I'm want to do it to my 2017 levo expert. Would appreciate any help you could give.
Thanks

Just found this thread, I also had just recently completed this on my 2016 model!

One thing I found out from my local rep, if you drill a hole to accommodate this wiring your lifetime frame warranty is void! Despite my protesting, they said it would be flagged in their system (by serial number) if the frame was modified in ANY way.

Due to this, I ran it 100% without cutting wire, or drilling frame... just exposed for a small 4-5" section. Not perfect, but as good as it gets to maintain the warranty on the frame.

I made a quick video for those interested:

I have a Turbo Levo from 2016, but last year the motor and the battery were exchanged (battery upgraded from 460 to 504), so could be that they are equal to the 2017 models. Do I need to upgrade only the battery firmware or also the motor firmware and what would be the version numbers needed ? Also would be interesting if the Zeus mode setting is still available with these versions, does anyone know ? Otherwise very interesting thread, thanks to the contributors, just need to see now how to get the switch here in Austria.

Contact Jeff at Rock n Road Cyclery

[email protected]

He will get you set up with a remote switch
Thanks for the 411.
I called Jeff at the Mission viejo store had him ship it to the Anaheim hills store where initially I was told they couldnt get it. Now both mgrs are on the same page and remotes are available for who ever needs them.

Thanks again figibubba

jeff helped me out too, thx for the tip. so what id like to know is, can i get the update and still use the bike as usual and then install the remote later or do i have to install then update.

SUCCESSFUL REMOTE INSTALLATION:
I want to thank all the people who made it possible to do this wonderful addition to my beautiful 2016 Turbo Levo FSR Expert. My local bike shop said the Specialized rep said he did not have any remotes to sell because they were "needed for warranty repairs". So thanks to this forum I called Rock and Road Cyclery in Mission Viejo, ca. Great people!!! They said they just bought 10 of them and sold me one for $89 including shipping. Took the bike in to have the firmware upgraded. My local Specialized mechanic was able to upgrade the battery but the motor upgrade would not work. He tried over a dozen times. He is an experienced mechanic and said that one bike accepted the software after he installed the remote but would not accept it before. He also said that when he logged on to upgrade my motor there was a little line on my software codes about a remote. He also said I would not do any harm by trying the switch without upgrading the software. So I took it home and installed it.
For this I want to thank Fijibubba and RRAPTRR for the wonderful visual instruction. I did do a modification of RRAPTRR that I think could be helpful. Like RRAPTRR I did not want to drill the frame and splice the cable, but I did not like the cosmetics of the cable routing along the outer down tube. Instead I removed the rubber fork bumper on the underside of the downtube and made a groove on the underside to route the cable midline into the battery case. This holds the cable solidly and is hidden. A small Dremel grind did the job perfectly on the battery case. No tape required.
The greatest surprise was that I turned it on and hit the switch and it worked!! No upgrade needed. Don't know why, but I'm not complaining. Maybe this bike was a late 2016 model and the 2017 software was installed. But even the 2017 bikes on this forum have had their software upgraded. Maybe the battery upgrade that was installed was enough? Thanks again Amigos

Attachments

• IMG_7686.jpg
    IMG_7686.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_7684.jpg
    IMG_7684.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 930
  • IMG_7683.jpg
    IMG_7683.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 887
Has anybody tried the Garmin eBike Remote? I really want the hard wired remote and walk assist but I’m not sure if my motor has the plug on the motor for the hardware.
2017 Specialized Levo HT COMP 6FATTIE.
Has anybody done the install on ‘my bike’?

Back