Turbo Connect Display Battery Replacement (TCD Lo Bat)

Phyz

I must be losing a step on my Google-gu. I'm getting a "Lo Bat" on my 2020 Vado 4.0's TCD but cannot find videos on replacing its 2032 button battery. What am I doing wrong? Looks like it's a hard reset when you swap that battery out: all info and pairing is lost. It's not obvious to me how you remove the unit to access the battery itself. I can twist it CW or CCW a bit, but taking things farther seems to invite difficulty. Feel free to point me to the thread / videos that my searches missed.

I have the manual; that's how I know about losing the info. What I don't know is how to get access to the battery. "Remove the TCD from the mount." I agree. But I don't know how to do it. A bit surprised in the era of YouTube videos on everything, there's no YouTube video on this. Seems like a simple thing, until you have to do it yourself for the first time. I'll be good to go forevermore once I know how to do it the first time. I mean, pop the bad battery out and slap the new battery in. Nothing to it. Once you can get at the batter cover, which is well-protected.

I have the manual; that's how I know about losing the info. What I don't know is how to get access to the battery. "Remove the TCD from the mount." I agree. But I don't know how to do it. A bit surprised in the era of YouTube videos on everything, there's no YouTube video on this. Seems like a simple thing, until you have to do it yourself for the first time. I'll be good to go forevermore once I know how to do it the first time. I mean, pop the bad battery out and slap the new battery in. Nothing to it. Once you can get at the batter cover, which is well-protected.
Just twist it a full 90 deg. and pull it up.

It seems willing to go 60° either direction. Farther is going to involve what seems like the kind of torque that could snap plastic that wasn't meant to snap.

1BDB387A-29FE-452E-BE9B-FFE7F23EE3EF.jpeg

It seems willing to go 60° either direction. Farther is going to involve what seems like the kind of torque that could snap plastic that wasn't meant to snap.
On mine there is a little resistance at about 60 degrees, but as you can see from the photos when the ears on the device are aligned with the spaces on the mount it should just lift off.

Attachments

• DDB0FFFF-C241-4C82-B484-9F55B1C796CC.jpeg
    DDB0FFFF-C241-4C82-B484-9F55B1C796CC.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,127
I just replaced the CR 1220 battery on my 2020 Vado 4 TCD-W wired display. (I see that the TCD wireless display uses a larger common CR 2032 battery). As previously mentioned, just twist the display 90 degrees (best direction is so wires swing away from the mount arm). Then using a small flat head screwdriver, gently pry off the battery cover (do not need to twist it) and use the same screwdriver to pop the old battery out. To install the new battery, just reverse the process and you're good to go. I made sure the bike was turned off, and replaced the new battery immediately after removing the old one. All electronics were working correctly before and after battery replacement. Process takes less than 5 minutes.

Last edited:
View attachment 69447

On mine there is a little resistance at about 60 degrees, but as you can see from the photos when the ears on the device are aligned with the spaces on the mount it should just lift off.
Looks like you have the wireless TCD display. The Vado/Como ebikes have the wired TCD-W display so the cables remain attached to the display.

Got the "LO BAT" message blinking on my Vado TCD-W display for today's ride. When I got back from the ride I checked the display instruction sheet for the battery size; CR 2032 it says. Great, got some in the shop!

Take it loose from the handlebar mount and popped off the back thinking this is going to be done in just another minute...

Nope.

The actual battery in the TCD-W (wired) display is a smaller CR 1220 to make room for the diagnostic USB port. Hmmm, none in the shop so put the display back together and shuffled off to the Google.

The correct batteries will be here in maybe a week.

I wrote a note in my display instructions...😖

Hmm... My Vado will get the 5000 km (3000 mi) mark at the end of this year. Meaning some 230 ridden hours. I might go to an electronic store (along with other Xmas shopping) to get a CR 1220 spare... The point is, my EU S-Pedelec will not work with inoperable display!

I store the ebike batteries in the house when the temps drop but the ebikes, and the attached displays, stay in the shop through the cold weather. This will shorten my display battery life.

@Stefan Mikes , where do you store your ebikes?

I wonder if my US version Vado 5 would work with a dead display battery since there is no requirement for a speedometer?

I store the ebike batteries in the house when the temps drop but the ebikes, and the attached displays, stay in the shop through the cold weather. This will shorten my display battery life.

@Stefan Mikes , where do you store your ebikes?

I wonder if my US version Vado 5 would work with a dead display battery since there is no requirement for a speedometer?
It would. It is a proven fact. For example, @PaD could ride his older Vado (regular Euro e-bike) with the BLOKS display removed while I couldn't ride my S-Vado without the display. American Class 3 Vados are essentially Class 1 e-bikes with 28 mph speed limit. European S-Vados have a lot of extra equipment required by law. @TS25 was so kind as to explain those matters to me.

I just replaced the battery in my wired TCD-W. A bit of a fiddle admittedly as you have to remove the display holder from the handlebars etc. I'd say it's not that bad as a theft deterrent. Bike is in unheated garage so for now haven't connected bike battery to check if bike is still paired or not and if stats have been reset or not. Fingers crossed it has kept the ODO. I swopped the batteries pretty quickly. Time will be updated by Mission app. "Lo Batt" came on after 3 years and around 3000 kms.

Good Pamdo! I think it is more about the time than the distance ridden.
What country are you from?

Bike is in unheated garage so for now haven't connected bike battery to check if bike is still paired or not and if stats have been reset or not. Fingers crossed it has kept the ODO.
There won't be any issues.

Back