Turbo Como

bazzapage

Had a quick look at the new Turbo Como 2.0 yesterday. Same drive etc as the Vado, but a relaxed 'cruiser' geometry, balloon tyres. Hopefully will get to ride one soon and will report.

[update by Court] here's the webpage for it: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/turbo-como and this one had fenders and a rack. It does remind me of the Vado a bit but with a more relaxed geometry.

specialized-como-electric-bike.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this. Has the same v1.2 motor as the Vado 2.0/3.0/4.0 which is still a grunty motor. Gruntier than any Bosch including the CX according to my hill climb tests.

I can Confirm both the Vado and the 16 Turbo S out climb my Trek SC8S
Interesting. In my tests the Moustache Friday Speed (same Bosch Speed drive as the Trek) beat the Turbo S and smashed it on the steep stuff. On the steep stuff the Vado 3.0 beat them all (it was effortless actually). It wasn't a fair comparison on the longer hill because the Vado was limited to 20mph. I'm sure a Vado 5.0 will change that again, but I won't get a test sample for a while (they were all presold before NZ got its first shipment).

https://electricbikesnz.com/2017/04/02/the-13-ebike-hill-climbing-mega-test/

I will have to do a retest but according to my Strava data I was a bit quicker up a 8 degree grade on the S vs the SC8

Is the US market only getting the 2.0 and 3.0 Como models? Are any of the US bikes being offered with a suspension fork? I see some links on the web for 4.0 and 5.0 models of this bike but they all appear to be for the European market.

I'd like to know, too. Would love to get a 4.0 here stateside.

Also, the description on their website says the 3.0 comes with a light and fenders but the product photo(s) don't show any fenders.

I see some 700C Como models for Europe but everything on the US webpage is listed with 650B wheels. Specialized may not have completely updated the US Como page yet.

There aren’t many 28mph upright city commuter bikes. I was considering Bulls but a Como 4.0 or 5.0 looks like a better spec’d bike for the money and Specialized dealer support has a much bigger footprint than your average e-bike brand.

I rode one today. Not sure you need a suspension fork, the geometry and bike tires along with the suspension seat makes for a really nice ride. I was just on the rail trail, I'll need some street time before making a decision. I've ridden Haibikes for the last year. A Full Seven and a Trekking. This Turbo Como would be sweet for my evening rides on my 10 mile loop. VERY TEMPTING!

I also test rode the Como 2.0 at the Philly Bike Expo. Court's review is spot on. I was impressed with the looks, build quality, comfort, and handling of this bike. The seat and upright position were very comfortable. The tuning of the Brose motor IMO is perfect for this cruiser-style bike. It had plenty of zip and the bike (L size) was noticeably lighter than the similar step-thru (L size) commuter-style Vado bike (most likely because it lacks the front suspension fork). It would make a great recreational bike for paved roads and hard packed bike paths. I liked the ride and handling on the Como better than the Vado but both are very nice bikes.

I test rode a M Como 2.0 at my local Specialized dealer. Was pretty impressed with the responsiveness of the Brose motor on the base model. The ride was smooth with the wide tires but I didn’t get it up to 20mph +. Siting next to a Vado the Como handlebars were a good 3” higher and more swept back. I’m interested to see if Specialized brings the Como 4.0 and 5.0 to the US market. I want to try a S frame since the added setback of my Body Float seat post might work better for me on the small.

Back