Trying to decide: Vado 4.0 vs 5.0 (US market)

I picked up the 5.0 to get back and forth to my shop, rolling roads with wind, about 17 miles each way (26kms). I thought about the 4.0, love the color of the LTD, but the bigger battery and better motor are a no brainer. Additionally the better brakes are worth their expense especially in urban riding. Don't forget that you can bling it out with some fun wheels! Also the Racktime rack has some nice trunk bags that work really well. Nothing too fancy, they come with a rain fly too (flouro yellow).

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_174607607.jpg
    IMG_20200529_174607607.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 546
I picked up the 5.0 to get back and forth to my shop, rolling roads with wind, about 17 miles each way (26kms). I thought about the 4.0, love the color of the LTD, but the bigger battery and better motor are a no brainer. Additionally the better brakes are worth their expense especially in urban riding. Don't forget that you can bling it out with some fun wheels! Also the Racktime rack has some nice trunk bags that work really well. Nothing too fancy, they come with a rain fly too (flouro yellow).
The OP has made his own decision and will go with the 4.0. Although I am an advocate for "spend more and you'll forget the expense soon", the 4.0 is still a very good e-bike. I'm still a fan of the Specialized 1.2s motor (Brose TF) that has the same max peak power of 520 W as the 1.3 but 72 Nm torque instead of 90. Did you know that the only European S-Pedelec Vado, the 6.0 is still equipped with the 1.2s motor?

The OP has made his own decision and will go with the 4.0. Although I am an advocate for "spend more and you'll forget the expense soon", the 4.0 is still a very good e-bike. I'm still a fan of the Specialized 1.2s motor (Brose TF) that has the same max peak power of 520 W as the 1.3 but 72 Nm torque instead of 90. Did you know that the only European S-Pedelec Vado, the 6.0 is still equipped with the 1.2s motor?

Interesting about the 6.0, I didn't no that! I can't imagine being only limited to 25kph either! We're lucky out here with the lack of legislation (which is good and bad).

Good luck with the 4.0, you're going to love it!!

I did lots of test rides with the 5.0 definitely being better with components, battery size, and especially torque. Torque is priceless a friend told me. I ride 25-40 mile road and gravel with frequent climbs. 5.0 is worth the money. If you're using relatively flat and low speed 4.0 would be fine. For me, the 5.0 worth the money.

I went with the 4.0 LTD. I do need a bigger chain ring in front, since even though I'm on a lot of hills and gravel around here, I do find myself in the 11 or 12 rear cog almost all the time. The 4.0 has the 40t and the 5.0 has the 48t. I haven't missed the lighter torque (yet). There are times when I am at a stop and I've forgotten to dump the gears and I'll have to start off in the 40-11, and I need to stand on the pedals to get moving. Otherwise not an issue. And yes, I do wish I had the better (4-piston) brakes and higher-end derailleur along with 11 gears would be nice. And 20% more battery. But I'm (extremely) happy with the 4.0 so far.

I went with the 4.0 LTD. I do need a bigger chain ring in front, since even though I'm on a lot of hills and gravel around here, I do find myself in the 11 or 12 rear cog almost all the time. The 4.0 has the 40t and the 5.0 has the 48t. I haven't missed the lighter torque (yet). There are times when I am at a stop and I've forgotten to dump the gears and I'll have to start off in the 40-11, and I need to stand on the pedals to get moving. Otherwise not an issue. And yes, I do wish I had the better (4-piston) brakes and higher-end derailleur along with 11 gears would be nice. And 20% more battery. But I'm (extremely) happy with the 4.0 so far.
As I mentioned in other threads, I am open to a swap on Como Vado chainrings, and my lbs will do the work ...

Back