Truing Stand Recommendations

R

Rrr

Looking for a portable truing stand, smaller the better. We have 27" wheels if that helps. Thanks

Have you considered using your bike as a truing stand? I find if I flip my bike over on its back resting on the seat and handlebars I can then secure the bike with straps so it doesn’t move. As a preliminary, I use a sharpie marker to mark the high spots on the wheel when I spin it, then I know with my dial run out gauge riding on the rim which spokes to adjust.

Do you want to build wheels, or simply true up pre-built wheels? The ability to adapt to the myriad of hub widths currently available might impact your choice. In any case, the first $12 I would spend if I were in your shoes would go toward Roger Musson's superlative book on wheel building (and truing). Therein, he has full plans for a truing stand which can be made (mostly) from MDF.

Reactions: Rrr
I have the park tool truing stand that will do up to 29" tires. Works without problems so far.

True our pre built wheels. Not much space so I need something compact.
I will look into using the bike as a truing stand, is it ok to turn over a bike with hydralic brakes?
Thanks

Have you considered using your bike as a truing stand? I find if I flip my bike over on its back resting on the seat and handlebars I can then secure the bike with straps so it doesn’t move. As a preliminary, I use a sharpie marker to mark the high spots on the wheel when I spin it, then I know with my dial run out gauge riding on the rim which spokes to adjust.
Could post a pic or a link to your dial run out gauge.
Thanks

Here is an inexpensive one from Harbor Freight. Mine is L. S. Starrett, but they both function the same. My recommendation is to stick with an analog indicator. Digital indicators are nice, but do not have the sampling rate sensitivity of the analog gauge. You will SEE the meter deflection so much easier than a digital readout.

Back