Trek Verve+ vs. Giant LaFree E+

Sola Gratia

After a great deal of research I have narrowed my search for an e-bike to these two choices (3, if you consider the two versions of the Giant LaFree).

I have been riding recreationally for years but at age 70 I find I am valuing comfort more, especially as I have some arthritic pain in my right wrist. I have ridden these two bikes and the Pedego Interceptor. I loved the Interceptor’s comfort but the weight and hub drive are negatives for me. A Class 1 pedelec would meet my needs.

So, the Verve+ is lighter, and has slightly better brakes (Shimano vs. Tetrek). The LaFree appears to be more comfortable and has 50% more torque.

At any rate, do any of you have experience in these bikes? What do you like? What do you not like?

Also, on the LaFree E+1, are the hub drive and carbon belt drive worth the extra $400? Are they that much better than derailleurs and chains?

Thanks everyone.

HI the first question you want to answer is probably where you will get warranty coverage and servicing done? If you have a Trek store near you then get a Trek. If you have a Giant store nearby then go Giant. The Trek specs say the Verve is 5 lbs lighter than the Giant but the Giant specs say that motor has a little more torque (10 nm). The Trek battery is in a better location . There is nothing wrong with a chain but it will stretch over time and need to be replaced sooner than the belt, and unless you plan to do all the work yourself the LBS ( local bike store) is the tie-breaker.

Last edited:
HI the first question you want to answer is probably where you will get warranty coverage and servicing done? If you have a Trek store near you then get a Trek. If you have a Giant store nearby then go Giant.
Actually, both are within 2 miles so either would be fine from that standpoint.

Actually, both are within 2 miles so either would be fine from that standpoint.
Great then choose the bike that you will want to ride more often (-: One of them must seem more fun to ride to you? That is the one. Come to think of it, I bought the wrong bike at first , but they let me ride it for about 50 miles and still exchange it. Perhaps you can work an agreement in advance with one of the stores to let you exchange it after a one week tryout if not completely satisfied. Perhaps one of those stores has other models or bikes you are also interested in if you find the first bike unsatisfactory. I remember how I was really unhappy with the suspension on my first bike and although I ended up spending 400 more dollars ,I now have over 10,000 km on the 2nd choice. I am so glad they gave me a do-over.

Last edited:
I suspect that would be the LaFree, although I won’t be riding that until Thursday.

Any opinion on the Internal Gear Hub/ belt drive choice vs. derailleur and chain?

I suspect that would be the LaFree, although I won’t be riding that until Thursday.

Any opinion on the Internal Gear Hub/ belt drive choice vs. derailleur and chain?
I am not famiiar with anything other than the old chain and derailleur. I could have had my choice of two bikes at the time (one with belt drive /Nuvince hub) for the exact same price but I chose the chain drive believing that chain replacement will be more frequent but simpler routine maintenance. I am on my third chain now at 10,100 km. I believe that some hub drives are slightly less efficient but others here can explain that better than I can. I should add that the main reason I chose the chain over the belt was that I felt that if I had a problem far from home, it could certainly be fixed at any bike store.

Last edited:
I am not famiiar with anything other than the old chain and derailleur. I could have had my choice of two bikes at the time (one with belt drive /Nuvince hub) for the exact same price but I chose the chain drive believing that chain replacement will be more frequent but simpler routine maintenance. I am on my third chain now at 10,100 km. I believe that some hub drives are slightly less efficient but others here can explain that better than I can.
Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your helpand experience.

Jim

I have a belt/Nuvinci bike (the Priority Embark, with mid-drive Bosch motor) and really like the simplicity of the CVT and not having chain maintenance (or chain marks on my legs). But I've only ridden 400 miles so far - had my bike 2 months - so I don't have a lot of experience. I think you should go with whichever you like riding better.

Imo belt drive and igh is well worth $400 especially for your needs. Nexus 8 seems to be a good choice. You would really appreciate not having to adjust derailleurs, stretching expensive chains and the ease of cleaning not having to lube etc.

good luck.

Also, on the LaFree E+1, are the hub drive and carbon belt drive worth the extra $400? Are they that much better than derailleurs and chains?

You better believe they are worth it. Silent, maintenance free, smooth, efficient, silent, CLEAN, uncomplicated, solid, sturdy, silent (yes, I know, but I'm serious), trouble free. No more fragile deraileurs being bent, knocked, getting gunked up with dirt and debris, off kilter, in the way.

The IGH is a dream.

I looked for a long time to find my 2nd ebike (my first was a vintage cromoly steel 21 speed 250w front hub conversion which I still love but it has it's limitations in being a throttle only) and Giant ticked every one of the boxes: the torque, the silent highly responsive motor, 63 mile battery and its placement (I like the battery on the back, hidden by my panniers), and the top reason being the carbon belt drive. No more chain jumping the track, having to be routinely cleaned, breaking, stretching, being the bike's "weak link" in terms of needing lots of care, and noisy. I am so over the need to have to rock through so many gears all the time to get the cadence I need while riding on anything but dead flat land. And I really hate chains. After hours and hours spent over the years cleaning and oiling chains, worrying about breakage and stretching and the jumps the chain had to make through the gearing, I'm thrilled to have that all in the past.

I ride recreationally, but the belt drive, 5 levels of assist (6 if you count the auto mode) and IGH call to me every day to hop on that bike and enjoy the ride.

Yes, the belt drive and IGH are totally worth the extra expense.

Last edited:
Sola Gratia,
I think you you will love either of those bikes, especially if you can bring along that incredibly cute dog!

Back