Trek Verve Rental on vacation

kahuna40

I have a Rize Step Through with a 750 watt bafang hub motor. My dad, sister, and I rented Trek Verve bikes on vacation in Breckinridge Colorado. I was really excited to see the difference between my bafabg hub motor and the boche mid drive. We did a 30 mile ride from Breckenridge to Dillon and back. I was MASSIVELY disappointed in the verve. I cannot believe this bike sells for 3 thousand dollars. There is absolutely no value in this bike. It must be entirely the name of trek that warrants the price tag. The bike is ridiculously underpowered. The bike died on the way back and was extremely uncomfortable. My Rize bike is in another galaxy compared to the value of this bike. In terms of an electric bike I don’t understand the market for this bike. It has so little power it was like a regular bicycle. My conclusion is that you definitely need at least 500 watts to have a proper electric bike experience, if not 750.

I have a Rize Step Through with a 750 watt bafang hub motor. My dad, sister, and I rented Trek Verve bikes on vacation in Breckinridge Colorado. I was really excited to see the difference between my bafabg hub motor and the boche mid drive. We did a 30 mile ride from Breckenridge to Dillon and back. I was MASSIVELY disappointed in the verve. I cannot believe this bike sells for 3 thousand dollars. There is absolutely no value in this bike. It must be entirely the name of trek that warrants the price tag. The bike is ridiculously underpowered. The bike died on the way back and was extremely uncomfortable. My Rize bike is in another galaxy compared to the value of this bike. In terms of an electric bike I don’t understand the market for this bike. It has so little power it was like a regular bicycle. My conclusion is that you definitely need at least 500 watts to have a proper electric bike experience, if not 750.
That´s my old stomping ground. I used grain & saddle a dozen dude nags fur tourists up a trail at the base
of peak 8. that´s been quite a few years back. Got one bunch good & lost onest up a crik. Rode a
piebald named Jason looked like the Cisco Kid´s horse.

Last edited:
The Active Line is a disappointing motor for those looking to do lots of climbing. Performance Line is a whole other story. That said, for many the “proper electric bike experience” may be very different from yours. Why didn’t you just rent a Rize Step Through?😂

The Verve 2+ is designed to be a city bike, with a relatively low torque engine. I'd blame the bike shop for renting it in a hilly/mountainous area. It was never designed for such conditions. 1500 foot elevation change, according to ride with gps? What were you thinking?

Like I mentioned in the original post I wanted to try the bikes to check out the mid drive motor bosche has to offer. I’ve never ridden one before and have read many write that even the lower powered mid drive motors are better at hill climbing than their hub motor counterparts. Surely now I know that they are completely useless, but I had to obviously test one to find that out. I just think it’s funny people spend 3k on such a poor value to get that trek name. The idea of an electric bike to me is to have the option of a leisurely ride if I chose to use the higher power the bike has to offer and if I want more exercise I have that option as well. It seems pointless to me having a 3k electric bike that doesn’t have the option of leisurely ride.

Like I mentioned in the original post I wanted to try the bikes to check out the mid drive motor bosche has to offer. I’ve never ridden one before and have read many write that even the lower powered mid drive motors are better at hill climbing than their hub motor counterparts. Surely now I know that they are completely useless, but I had to obviously test one to find that out. I just think it’s funny people spend 3k on such a poor value to get that trek name. The idea of an electric bike to me is to have the option of a leisurely ride if I chose to use the higher power the bike has to offer and if I want more exercise I have that option as well. It seems pointless to me having a 3k electric bike that doesn’t have the option of leisurely ride.
But you're doing an apples to oranges comparison. If you think it's reasonable to compare a high powered hub drive bike to a low powered mid drive pedal assist, more power to you! But a more reasonable comparison, since you're fixated on $3000 plus mid motor bikes, is the Allant series.

I’m not particulary comparing the bikes. Like I mentioned I didn’t know what a 250 watt bike felt like. I’m just stating my surprise at the performance of a bike with such a price tag. I’m just wondering where the money goes.

The Active Line is a disappointing motor for those looking to do lots of climbing. Performance Line is a whole other story. That said, for many the “proper electric bike experience” may be very different from yours. Why didn’t you just rent a Rize Step Through?😂
Cuz he already owns a Rize? People have to love a bike they´ve spent $3k on; The more they´ve
spent, the more they´re required to love it.:p

well it takes more effort to peddle than maybe you expected. your not going get the scooter sensation on a mid drive it just does not work that way.

Cuz he already owns a Rize? People have to love a bike they´ve spent $3k on; The more they´ve
spent, the more they´re required to love it.:p
My point was that nobody evidently rents a Rize.😉
You certainly do hope to love your ebike no matter what you spent on it. And you’re right that the more you spend, the more you HOPE to love it!

My point was that nobody evidently rents a Rize.😉
You certainly do hope to love your ebike no matter what you spent on it. And you’re right that the more you spend, the more you HOPE to love it!
I would certainly hope the price of the bike is somewhat connected to the pleasure you receive from it 😂. I think that’s pretty reasonable.

I’m never looking for a scooter experience. However I would definitely enjoy enough power to give me a leisurely ride if I chose to take one. I just don’t understand the market for a bike like that at the price point.

This was a great experiment for me because now I know what they can do. You guys are pretty sensitive lol.

I would certainly hope the price of the bike is somewhat connected to the pleasure you receive from it 😂. I think that’s pretty reasonable.

I’m never looking for a scooter experience. However I would definitely enjoy enough power to give me a leisurely ride if I chose to take one. I just don’t understand the market for a bike like that at the price point.

This was a great experiment for me because now I know what they can do. You guys are pretty sensitive lol.
Maybe next time you really want to compare, you’ll just have to rent something other than the weakest motor Trek offers.😉

Maybe next time you really want to compare, you’ll just have to rent something other than the weakest motor Trek offers.😉
I agree with you 100 percent, however until I had that experience I wouldn’t particularly know what 250 watts in that line really does. Now I do 🤙

Back in the 50s a miner friend of mine bought a house on mainstreet in Breckenridge
for $350. It´s probly gone, but I bet the lot is now be worth more than a thousand times that.

Back in the 50s a miner friend of mine bought a house on mainstreet in Breckenridge
for $350. It´s probly gone, but I bet the lot is now be worth more than a thousand times that.
No doubt about it. There’s almost nothing less than half a mill here and that gets you a 1 bedroom.

I agree with you 100 percent, however until I had that experience I wouldn’t particularly know what 250 watts in that line really does. Now I do 🤙
I guarantee you a different experience with the Performance Line CX which is a 250w motor found in the Allant+7 and many of Trek‘s electric mountain bikes.

I think the OP is focused too much on wattage, and not enough on torque. Couple that with a misunderstanding of the effect of gearing on mid-drive, and the effect of varying speeds on the torque and power output from a hub drive, and you can have confusion. It gets worse when you don't completely think through issues like peak wattage, input vs output power, RPM and so on. No wonder some of these discussions are endless.

Plus you ne
I think the OP is focused too much on wattage, and not enough on torque. Couple that with a misunderstanding of the effect of gearing on mid-drive, and the effect of varying speeds on the torque and power output from a hub drive, and you can have confusion. It gets worse when you don't completely think through issues like peak wattage, input vs output power, RPM and so on. No wonder some of these discussions are endless.
Plus you need to Know how to shift well and use your gears.

I've put over 2,500 miles on my Verve+ and have been very happy with it. People look for different things in ebikes I guess. I want a bike with a more natural feel and while I understand it has less power than other ebikes, I rarely use all the power it has. If I want to take it easy, putting it in Turbo mode and gearing down makes it quite easy to ride even steep hills, albeit slowly in some cases. I've ridden hub motor bikes and I'm not interested in them at all. I just don't like the feel of them.

Back